Calcium needs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium needs

I asked this in an earlier post today but it was included in another post of mine and might have been overlooked. I'm going to start taking calcium to try to stop night leg cramps. I'm 5'4" and weigh 150 lbs. I bought calcium citrate and 2 caplets equal 630 mg. Two caplets is considered a serving or equals the 630 mg. Instructions say 1 to 2 caplets 2 times a day. Any thoughts on how much I could or should safely take? Why is the period over which the calcium is taken divided? Last night was miserable. Hope to see some improvement tonight.

My understanding is that taking calcium supplements could be a dangerous idea.

Comment

Why?

Comment

I thought magnesium was for leg cramps.
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

And here are some recent medical findings regarding calcium supplements FOR WOMEN.

Update on Calcium Supplementation in Post-Menopausal Women PaleolithicMD
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            My understanding is that taking calcium supplements could be a dangerous idea.
            Calcium is integral in the diet to suppress parathyroid hormone, which if elevated can trigger stress and inflammation.

The data on calcium may be so mixed because of the bizarre counter ions used in supplemental form (orotate, aspartate, etc.).

Another reason is that calcium requires numerous cofactors (T3, sodium, magnesium, carbon dioxide, vitamin D, vitamin K, vitamin A...) to work properly.

A great way of assessing your calcium need is getting your PTH tested.
            www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Working...
            X