Trader Joe's light coconut milk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trader Joe's light coconut milk

I tried drinking this on its own yesterday and it tastes like ass. Furthermore, it seems like some kind of thickener was used in it, but it's not listed in the ingredients. What do the rest of you guys think?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

I agree that it's kinda lame. The flavor was ok but it was too watered down.

While we're on the subject: I know there is already a thread for "best coconut milk" but what is everyone's opinion? Currently my vote is for Thai Kitchen, but I'm thinking of trying Aroy-D. Any thoughts? I'm not super-concerned about BPA, otherwise I'd get Native Forest. I tried it and it was not as good as Thai Kitchen. I'm asking for preference based purely on taste.

Comment

I think it tastes fine, and it's also quite thin compared to most coconut milks I've tried. Maybe it was a bad can or just preference?
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
        I agree that it's kinda lame. Too watered down.

While we're on the subject: I know there is already a thread for "best coconut milk" but what is everyone's opinion? Currently my vote is for Thai Kitchen, but I'm thinking of trying Aroy-D. Any thoughts? I'm not super-concerned about BPA, otherwise I'd get Native Forest. I tried it and it was not as good as Thai Kitchen. I'm asking for preference based purely on taste.
        Ugh, so not a fan of Thai Kitchen. That coconut milk tastes even worse to me, and that brand for sure contains thickeners. I liked Arroy-D back when I was using it, but my Walmart stopped stocking it, and the cans I've seen elsewhere cost more than Whole Foods and TJs, so I don't use it anymore.

Comment

Well it is light so it's probably quite watered down.

Comment

Sometime within the next couple of months Trader Joe's will be selling a full-fat coconut milk. Keeping my fingers crossed about lack of other ingredients, BPA free cans, etc.

Comment

I used it to make a non-dairy primal creamer, blended a can of it with an egg and about 1/2C melted coconut oil couple of drops of stevia for taste=YUM. Put it in the fridge and it thickens up to a tight whipped cream consistency, very nice on berries. Thinking it is a personal taste thing?
              Last edited by demuralist; 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM. Reason: grammer
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                I used it to make a non-dairy primal creamer, blended a can of it with an egg and about 1/2C melted coconut oil couple of drops of stevia for taste=YUM. Put it in the fridge and it thickens up to a tight whipped cream consistency, very nice on berries. Thinking it is a personal taste thing?
                I think that coconut oil makes a huge difference XD I think I will just wait until the full fat version comes out to enjoy it, then.

Comment

The light TJs brand of coconut milk works for me, but I only use it In coffee as a creamer.

Where can I find the good brands!? I have a whole foods, but in what section can I find the good canned stuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TLoRu View Post
                    The light TJs brand of coconut milk works for me, but I only use it In coffee as a creamer.

Where can I find the good brands!? I have a whole foods, but in what section can I find the good canned stuff!!!
                    Ethnic aisle. I like their 365 organic canned milk.

Comment

I detest low-fat coconut milk, TJ's included. If I want to water it down whilst using it, I'll do that myself. I buy 6 cans a week, either Aroy-D (which = 'very tasty' in Thai) or Chaokoh ("it's a favorite brand among Thais"), sometimes some other brand, whichever is on sale that week. I shop @ a couple of ginormous Asian supermarkets not far from our apt. I used to buy Whole Foods 365 whole fat org coconut milk (in the Asian section with other Thai foods) by the case @ 10% off, but got out of the habit whilst trimming my budget last year.
                      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        Ethnic aisle. I like their 365 organic canned milk.
                        You're awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                          And this dissolves into coffee nicely and doesn't get funky?

I am SO trying this.

Just got back from Whole Foods to get my 6 cans of coconut milk.

I looked at the Thai Kitchen stuff, which is what I usually get, but it's 2.59 a can, so
                          I looked at the Whole Foods 365 brand which has two grams LESS of fat (which
                          I don't care about, I'm just saying), but the same ingredients:

organic coconut milk
                          purified water
                          guar gum

I do like the Thai Kitchen better because of the extra fat in it - but mama
                          dun say hells no to the extra $1.10 for two grams of extra fat.

I'm gonna whip up some of that stuff Miss Demuralist makes and see what's what.

Julie

p.s. just wanted to add that I think the Trader Joes lite stuff tastes disgusting
                          as well. I hope they get the full fat stuff in SOON.
                          Last edited by InSearchOfAbs; 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Savoy Coconut Cream is really good.
                            Savoy Coconut Cream: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
                            The Chaokoh is good, too. I was disappointed by the Aroy-D. I thought the TJ's light was good as a smoothie base with frozen fruit. A little less thick than full-fat stuff.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                              Sometime within the next couple of months Trader Joe's will be selling a full-fat coconut milk. Keeping my fingers crossed about lack of other ingredients, BPA free cans, etc.
                              TJ's here in Northern CA has had full fat Coconut Milk for several months. No Guar gum and rather tasty. Made with filtered water and coconut cream. It's packaged with the other aeseptic nut milks, not in the canned food section of the store.

Comment

Working...
                              X