Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trader Joe's light coconut milk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The local Wally World sells Golden Star from Thailand, not only the cheapest, but also the best tasting/thickest I've found in a can. I can't say about the BPA but the only listed ingredients are coconut milk and water.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

    Comment


    • #17
      Just wanted to share that I found Chao Thai coconut cream powder at my local Asian market. I noticed after I bought it that it has some extra glucose added, but the macros when reconstituted look to be about the same as regular canned coconut milk. Now I can make it as thick and rich as I want!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
        Sometime within the next couple of months Trader Joe's will be selling a full-fat coconut milk. Keeping my fingers crossed about lack of other ingredients, BPA free cans, etc.
        I heard it will be out in a few weeks. I just checked on Tuesday and they only had light crap, but the ONLY ingredient was coconut and water. I just bought this to hold me over:



        The only ingredients are "organic coconut milk, organic guar gum." It's the best I could find. It was marked down from $3.19/can to $1.19/can at Superfresh so I bought the whole damn shelf.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Karma View Post
          TJ's here in Northern CA has had full fat Coconut Milk for several months. No Guar gum and rather tasty. Made with filtered water and coconut cream. It's packaged with the other aeseptic nut milks, not in the canned food section of the store.
          REALLY? Are there any fillers? I'm checking that out next time I'm there!

          A quick search online says they do:

          filtered water, coconut cream, tricalcium phosphate, carrageenan, gellan gum, sea salt, natural flavors, vitamin A palmitate, ergocalciferol (vitamin D12), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12)

          Mehhhhh I'll wait until their canned version comes out
          Last edited by sakura_girl; 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

          Comment


          • #20
            Are there Asian supermarkets near you? The one near me (in NY) sells coconut milk in a few varieties for ~1-2$ per can. I buy Aroy-D there for $1.59. The local chain grocery stores sell a few brands - none less than $3 a can.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
              Are there Asian supermarkets near you? The one near me (in NY) sells coconut milk in a few varieties for ~1-2$ per can. I buy Aroy-D there for $1.59. The local chain grocery stores sell a few brands - none less than $3 a can.
              Yes, there are, but they sell Aroy-D for $1.99/can, so I'd prefer to buy even Whole Food's 365 for $1.49/can. Plus I feel the Asian brands may have questionable canning practices, unless someone would like to share anything about BPA in Aroy-D cans!
              My chocolatey Primal journey

              Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

              Comment


              • #22
                As an alternative to BPA lined cans, check into coconut creme. Canned coconut milk is lower in fat, ie diluted w/ more water, than coconut creme, which is cleaner & more fatty. I used to buy frozen coconut creme imported from Indonesia from a tiny Asian store in Calif. It came in plastic but was preservative free, or so it said. There are dry coconut creme mixes in boxes that you can buy off the shelf, look for them or ask in Asian supermarkets or seek/order them online in bulk.

                I've been consuming canned coconut milk for years, well more than a decade. I stopped drinking out of plastic bottles more than a decade ago, but I wonder how much BPA I have in me from all those cans of coconut milk, tomato sauce & tuna. It's acidic & fatty foods that leach the BPA from the can's lining.
                "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                Comment


                • #23
                  I would rather have nothing than drink that wretched Trader Joe's coconut milk.

                  Have you tried the frozen Hawaiian Sun brand at Marukai market in Cupertino? It's in a little freezer in the produce section. It is so amazing that nothing else can even remotely compare.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                  http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I would only buy organic coconut milk as coconuts are heavily sprayed with pesticides and should be included in the dirty dozen.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Yeah, the Whole Foods 365 CM is my fave. I happen to have a can of both TJ light and that WF 365 stuff in my pantry. Get this: the TJ Light has 4g fat, the 365 from WF has 12g fat. That's the problem with the light stuff! 2/3 of the goodies are gone! Ingredients: TJ: coconut milk and water; WF 365: organic coconut milk and guar gum (thickener--see nutrition notes at Guar gum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/10/best-coconut-milk-options.html

                        Let’s Do….Organic’s Organic Creamed Coconut
                        . This comes in a solid block, which you mix with hot water. It’s a fairly frugal choice and works very well for savory dishes. I don’t find the texture as smooth, however, as canned coconut milk. But it’s an excellent option that is dairy free (the only ingredient is organic coconut). If you can find it at a local store, it will probably be cheaper, but they do sell it here. I should also mention, for those trying to avoid plastic, this is also wrapped in plastic. But once again, it’s not liquid, so it shouldn’t be as much of a problem.
                        • You can also make your own, but I would recommend that you buy a coconut grater to help you with that task.

                        • Other readers mentioned buying frozen coconut milk at local Asian stores. This, I am assuming is not an organic choice, but it is supposed to be very cheap. Once again, plastic covered, I am sure (we can’t get away from it in this market!).

                        Last edited by Betorq; 07-06-2012, 09:44 PM.
                        "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                        "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                        "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jammies View Post
                          Have you tried the frozen Hawaiian Sun brand at Marukai market in Cupertino? It's in a little freezer in the produce section. It is so amazing that nothing else can even remotely compare.
                          Yeah, the only thing that is off-putting is that it's so expensive =x I'd like to support my local brand, but it's too much of a squeeze on my wallet if I consume it as much as I want.

                          Betorq: at my local Asian grocers, I only can find frozen coconut with sodium metabisulfite or some other weird stuff mixed in. If I could find something, I would!
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

                          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                            Yeah, the only thing that is off-putting is that it's so expensive =x I'd like to support my local brand, but it's too much of a squeeze on my wallet if I consume it as much as I want.

                            Betorq: at my local Asian grocers, I only can find frozen coconut with sodium metabisulfite or some other weird stuff mixed in. If I could find something, I would!
                            No doubt - that stuff is crazy expensive. But it has twice as much fat and calories as even full fat coconut milk - so I think you are paying more because there is less water. The hard part is convincing yourself to only consume half as much
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                            http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                              I would only buy organic coconut milk as coconuts are heavily sprayed with pesticides and should be included in the dirty dozen.
                              Your source, please? My sister lives in Fiji and travels all over the Pacific in her job (Samoa, Philippines, etc) and has never seen coconuts being sprayed. (She loves coconuts, so she would notice.)
                              This is an old article, but it debunks the rumor about Thai coconuts being dipped in formaldehyde:
                              The Formaldehyde Young Coconut Scare... Truth or Rumor???? - Give it to me Raw

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                                Your source, please? My sister lives in Fiji and travels all over the Pacific in her job (Samoa, Philippines, etc) and has never seen coconuts being sprayed. (She loves coconuts, so she would notice.)
                                This is an old article, but it debunks the rumor about Thai coconuts being dipped in formaldehyde:
                                The Formaldehyde Young Coconut Scare... Truth or Rumor???? - Give it to me Raw
                                Interesting... I was told they were sprayed by my local co-op.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X