Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of all the worst CW foods, which would you eliminate first?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of all the worst CW foods, which would you eliminate first?

Hello All,
    So I need some advice as to which of these foods I should give up first. I tried cutting out all of them at once and realized i am not in the mind frame to do that..just yet. I have a LOT of stressors due to what re work wise, and the last thing I need or have time for is obsessively worrying about my food intake. I figured that it would be easier to just eliminate a bad food for a week (I can easily keep track of that) then move to the next. I am reading the primal blueprint but have only read 4 chapters so i am not sure if Mark answers this question already.

I have heard that wheat is really bad but I have also heard that hydrogenated oils, etc. My big thing is snacking when I am in my office while drinking my coffee. I will either have some type of cake type snack from SB or just like hard candy sans wheat but has all these gross oils and preservatives. I know I could snack on better things like nuts and veggies but I feel like I need to slowly move into that head space without feeling I am "punishing" myself. The weight is still coming off, slooooowly but it is. So i was wondering which "toxic" food would you recommend I cut out first? which is the "best" of the worst in other words from your personal experience?

*please I really do not need any smart-a$$/rude responses, even if you think my question is stupid, I just want some genuine advice*

also any other kind of bad list food such as artificial sugars, etc....not just wheats and bad oils

Comment

If you want to eliminate foods, it would probably be best to eliminate super processed sweets in my opinion. Think donuts, twinnkies, ho hos, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
        also any other kind of bad list food such as artificial sugars, etc....not just wheats and bad oils
        The evidence is lacking in terms of harmful effects of artificial sweeteners.

Comment

Lawyerchick, I hope this is going to help you:

The first thing I did was to simultaneously cut out bread and pasta - but keeping whole grains (cooked, hot cereal, like buckwheat) and adding more fat to my diet (to 25-30% fat). At the time I used canola and olive oil. I also cooked every item I ate myself, with the exception of canned fish and all natural ham. It took about 2 years to completely stop craving baked goods.

That one thing cut out hunger and much of my problems with starved, dizzy feelings.

The other huge change for me always happens when I have enough discipline not to eat sugars, natural and unnatural. That cuts calories I require to eat full by another 20 or so percents, and actually leads to weight loss.

For a while I was overdoing it with sugar-free gum and pop, but dropping them was easy, and I do turn to them again once in a while, though I found that they do cause unpleasant bloat and even more unpleasant belching (eww).
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Hey, Lawyerchick12 --

Good for you for recognizing that for you, it's better to transition to primal rather than dive in head first and possibly drown. Everyone is different, so while going whole hog (so to speak) may work for some, for others, it doesn't.

Instead of picking the worst offender, how about focusing on one thing at a time? So for the first week, either reduce or avoid wheat. For the next week, bump that up to include grains besides wheat. For the third week, make that all grains, including rice and corn (which, for TPB, counts as a grain). Once you feel pretty good about that, move on to start reducing added sugars and processed foods. And then move on to limiting/avoiding cooking oils other than olive oil/coconut oil/EVOO/etc. Or start preparing your own foods.

The key, in my opinion, is to go slowly and try different things.
            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Give up:
              Sugar and all forms of it the first week.. Drink lots of filtered water and green tea with lime
              Grains and all starchy foods the second week

Eat:
              Grass fed meats, seafood, dairy
              Organic veggies and fruits
              Macadamia nuts & olives for snacks
              Walnut and/or almond butter on apple slices - wonderful and filling

Comment

Thank you so much guys!
                Sometimes you just need to hear from others who have been in this lifestyle longer.

Consensus seems to eliminated high process sweets that include wheat, flour, sugar etc....that is what I am doing/will do this week. I already gave up grains weeks ago apart from white rice...which will stay...for now, but i eat mainly sweet potatoes and plantain...yum.

I do not have any trouble for the most part when I am home. I make my own meals for the most part when i home as well. I think I just still have this mindset of turning to processed snacks when I am stressed and at work and I am at work way longer than I would like to be. I can find a way to break out of that mindset, I know I will be well on my way to be at least 90% primal.

I will challenge myself to cut all processed snacks this week and move on to candy etc. I am not even three days of being totally wheat free and my lower pouch on my tummy is already flattening down.

At any rate....thank you all!

Comment

Never leave home without plenty of snacks to get you by until you can get to a healthy meal.
                  Take your coffee/tea and always filtered water with you.
                  Eat a good breakfast soon after getting up.
                  Take a multi-vitamin and any other supplements with bkfast.
                  If you're having anxious, overworked moments at work, consider taking a L Theanine tablet upon waking.
                  Remember to get out in the sun even for 12-15 mins daily and do some sort of exercise everyday.

Comment

Lawyerchick, I know it can be hard to avoid those processed snacks at work--especially when you have coworkers who seem to live only on processed snacks. My coworkers are generous and bring in plenty of donuts, cake, and cookies to share... ugh! (Cookies are my weakness. I avoid the coffee machine area as much as possible!)

I make my own beef and bison jerky, which is chewy and salty, and satisfies that "want a snack" urge but is still very healthy. If you don't have time to make your own beef jerky, you might be able to find some that doesn't have some form of sugar as the second ingredient at a local health food store. You can also do a 'net search for natural or organic beef jerky and order some that way. Ordering it online can be a bit pricey, but if you compare the cost to the price of vending machine snacks, you get a lot more for your money with jerky!

Nuts are also a good snacking alternative, as long as you don't binge out on them. I just take a single portion to work with me, so when they're gone, they're gone. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries are also great finger-snack foods!

Comment

The first thing I'd eliminate is processed sugar. Ditch anything with added sugar, even "natural" sugar.
                      Then you can move on to wheat and other grains. As suggested above, you could tackle wheat first, and then other grains as you gain confidence.

If you're snacking at your desk, it's likely out of boredom. If you must, pack fruit, veggies, or nuts with you. It's a hard habit to change, but worth getting rid of. Reach for a glass of water instead, or distract yourself. (Reading this forum works really well for that!)

You can do it! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                        The evidence is lacking in terms of harmful effects of artificial sweeteners.
                        Aspartame can easily bypass the blood brain barrier.

And if you read about the testing done for FDA approval, the rats with massive tumors were thrown out with the excuse that they must have been genetically messed up, despite the fact that there were many times more in the aspartame group than in the placebo group.
                        Durp.

Comment

One thing I noticed was that you are experiencing some weight loss. I know you are concerned that if you try to change to much, too fast, you will have trouble being able to handle all that. What I am wondering about, as you do make some of the suggested great ideas above, is that you think about you mindset toward what this lifestyle is all about. Primal living is ultimately not meant to make anyone feel deprived of things they previously craved and loved. I believe there must come a tipping point at which we decide that the changes we have made are worth so much more than the enjoyment of cakes, candies, and other foods that are less healthy. I think a person who is fully committed toward either working toward doing this for real and giving it a real chance, or someone who is compliant 80/20 and is satisfied with that, or someone who is nearly 100% compliant, need not feel deprived because they are not eating cakes and candies. Cakes and candies become much less attractive when we stop having food cravings in their absence or we live primally for a period of time, then consume those sugary foods, and lose that good feeling and lack of cravings, until we clear those extra sugars from our systems.

I think a reasonable person, after Mark (and other Paleo/Primal advocates) has provided so much scientific information all bout the benefits of living primally, would experience an "ah ha!!" moment. I sure did. I was so overweight and I never ever felt satisfied no matter how much food I consumed. My triglycerides were dangerously high. Now, I am compliant nearly 100% of the time. Mostly because I know now if I eat sugary foods I will have to 'recover' from that consumption, and it's not fun. My personal challenge is that I love strawberries. I have to discipline myself not to overdo on eating them. Is it hard? Not compared to how I used to feel and live.

So, ultimately, our attitudes play such an important role in our successes and failures. We can overcome incredible personal challenges when we make a real committment. I'm sure that when you weigh how you are feeling as you continue to adapt healthier habits against how you felt eating sugary foods, you will clearly see a huge distinction. Focus on the positive changes you are experiencing and you won't feel so deprived.

Comment

I do not have any trouble for the most part when I am home. I make my own meals for the most part when i home as well. I think I just still have this mindset of turning to processed snacks when I am stressed and at work and I am at work way longer than I would like to be. I can find a way to break out of that mindset, I know I will be well on my way to be at least 90% primal.

I will challenge myself to cut all processed snacks this week and move on to candy etc. I am not even three days of being totally wheat free and my lower pouch on my tummy is already flattening down.
                            What helped me is to start training my brain to view processed food as 'not food'. It may be eadible, but it is not food. Sort of like cardboard. I also tried to memorize and relive the memory of every time I ate a candy or a pastry, and it was not tasting all that good. Just meh, whatever. Every time that happened, I tried to bring it back for the next few days as often as possible, and do not lose that sense of mild disappointment creating 'blah' association with that particular item (I used to adore gummies; I can't believe I did). I find that both approaches reduce cravings more than heroic denial or demonizing foods. I am sure there are treats you do not like. For me it's licorice or brownies or stuff like M&M's. So, I figured if I could ignore those for ever and ever, why can't I treat other sweets the same way. Well, apparently, I can. I am trying to apply this method to fruit now. With intermittent success.

Not having eventually becomes not wanting. It just takes time.

BTW, the whole grains like millet are just as fine as rice, and more benign than candies and pastries. I would also watch sweet potatoes and platens, and see if you tempted to eat office sweets in the afternoon (2 to 4 pm) after consuming any sweet flavors in the morning. If yes, I would actually recommend trying beans and rice or white potato for you over the sweet starches.

Good luck!
                            Last edited by Leida; 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                              Aspartame can easily bypass the blood brain barrier.

And if you read about the testing done for FDA approval, the rats with massive tumors were thrown out with the excuse that they must have been genetically messed up, despite the fact that there were many times more in the aspartame group than in the placebo group.
                              Aspartame is the most studied substance in the world. Not one study has linked it with health problems in humans.

Comment

Working...
                              X