Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this normal ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this normal ?

    Wondering if this is psychosomatic like my doc says, or whether it's a rare side-effect of going low carb...Er, putting it bluntly, I cannot eat many carbs before I get terrible indigestion, then throw up.

    I ate two scoops (100ml) of Kelly's of Cornwall clotted cream ice cream which is only 12g carbs for the 2 scoops. My OH couldn't find the scoop another time, gave me 250ml (quarter of a litre tub) and I threw up. I don't eat ice cream at all now.

    One night I was really cheesed off and I started on a large bag of Kettle Chips (hand-cooked organic crisps) and I didn't even get a quarter of a way through the bag before I was sick.

    I've also thrown up after eating fresh potato salad made with creme fraiche.

    About the only carbs I can eat without throwing up are a 400g can of Heinz spaghetti when I have a cold and feel flaked out and just don't want to even look at protein, or Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa chocolate.

    I have been eating Primal without realising it since March when I went organic and had been avoiding most processed food before then 99% of the time since 2010.

    Obviously eating Primal is not a problem and the nauseous reaction keeps me good. I'm just wondering why the heck my body does it. Is it all in my brain or is there an actual reason ? Has anyone else had this reaction ?

    TIA

  • #2
    I wouldn't call it a side effect of low carb. Sounds like a natural reaction to what your body considers a toxic substance. If your unable to eat a food without puking I say eliminate it. Try it again months rather than days or weeks later. How is fruit or berries for ya?

    Comment


    • #3
      Sound like the problem is with dairy and vegetable oil? Dairy hurts my stomach now too. It never used to cause an acute response before because I had an unending chronic response instead (which I didn't even realize was related).

      So it wasn't a side effect of going low-carb that caused me to start feeling sick when I ate it, it was a side-effect of eating toxic stuff less often so my body could cool off and return to normal. Now if I put something bad in again, it has to immediately start an emergency response and I get sick. Whereas, before, the emergency systems were already on, all the time, so I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary when I ate something bad.

      Make any sense?

      _-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
        Sound like the problem is with dairy and vegetable oil?
        Exactly. Stop getting mad at carbs, people.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Artichoke View Post
          Obviously eating Primal is not a problem and the nauseous reaction keeps me good. I'm just wondering why the heck my body does it. Is it all in my brain or is there an actual reason ? Has anyone else had this reaction ?

          TIA
          When I was a student I worked in the summer in a textile factory making rope. We wore those tissue facemasks to protect our lungs from all of the fibres floating around in the air. For several months *after* finishing working there I would be coughing stuff up out of my lungs like I was a smoker.

          Being more sensitive to things your body doesn't like is a good thing.

          I find that I don't like cheap (rubbish) ice-cream either (Although I really love home-made ice cream). Corn chips just taste of MSG now.

          Sound like the problem is with dairy and vegetable oil?
          Have to agree on the vegetable oil one. I do *not* like the smell and taste of that now.

          On the dairy front, I have basically swapped milk and cheese for ghee/butter and cream. I've always been mildly dairy intolerent, and I don't get eczema with the high fat versions.
          Last edited by magicmerl; 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

          Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

          Comment


          • #6
            The theory makes perfect sense, yes. I'm just not finding a pattern here though.

            In my case, the potato chips were organic without additives and I had an adverse reaction. The spaghetti doesn't have additives but is processed (and wheat) and I was fine. The potato salad was shop bought, made with creme fraiche and I think it was pretty much additive free yet I was sick.

            I use oils such as Extra Virgin olive, hazelnut, walnut, mustard, sesame, rapeseed but not blended vegetable oils, sunflower oil or corn oil. Never had any adverse reaction. I don't cook with/use them in dressings every day as I also use lard, beef dripping plus duck and goose fat. (Did try coconut oil but coconutty fried eggs aren't my thing).

            I also consume ghee, butter, cream, cheese, yogurt, kefir and organic milk without problems too. I tried Lactofree milk for awhile as lower carb then switched to organic without problems. The ice cream is one of the lowest carb (sugar) ice creams, lower than diabetic ice cream even. 100ml was fine, 250ml wasn't and I can happily scoff the tiny tubs of clotted cream all by myself with a spoon.

            Re: fruit and berries, I'm fine with strawberries, they don't cause a BG spike, nor do cherries and surprisingly I'm fine with pears and black grapes in moderation. Blueberries and raspberries spike my BG big time though, as do oranges. Also parsnips. However none of them make me sick.

            I do think your theory is right and I'm not eating any of the stuff now except the spaghetti when I can't face protein when ill but I'm just scratching my head.

            Any more ideas please ?
            Last edited by Artichoke; 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Are you saying that the potato chips you ate didn't have vegetable oil as an ingredient?

              All the fats that you list that you eat sound good with the exception of rapeseed oil.
              Last edited by magicmerl; 07-03-2012, 04:03 PM.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

              Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

              Comment


              • #8
                The two foods that made you sick are very in fat and carbs and have a moderately crappy ingredient list. Neither are primal. There is no way carbohydrates make you sick - but the bad fats combined with carbs could be making your gallbladder sluggish which can cause nausea, vomiting, and a host of other symptoms.

                Try eating a simple bowl of white rice, some plain sweet potatoes or a banana. Don't eat carbs with crappy fats.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Artichoke View Post
                  The theory makes perfect sense, yes. I'm just not finding a pattern here though.

                  In my case, the potato chips were organic without additives and I had an adverse reaction. The spaghetti doesn't have additives but is processed (and wheat) and I was fine. The potato salad was shop bought, made with creme fraiche and I think it was pretty much additive free yet I was sick.

                  I use oils such as Extra Virgin olive, hazelnut, walnut, mustard, sesame, rapeseed but not blended vegetable oils, sunflower oil or corn oil. Never had any adverse reaction. I don't cook with/use them in dressings every day as I also use lard, beef dripping plus duck and goose fat. (Did try coconut oil but coconutty fried eggs aren't my thing).

                  I also consume ghee, butter, cream, cheese, yogurt, kefir and organic milk without problems too. I tried Lactofree milk for awhile as lower carb then switched to organic without problems. The ice cream is one of the lowest carb (sugar) ice creams, lower than diabetic ice cream even. 100ml was fine, 250ml wasn't and I can happily scoff the tiny tubs of clotted cream all by myself with a spoon.

                  Re: fruit and berries, I'm fine with strawberries, they don't cause a BG spike, nor do cherries and surprisingly I'm fine with pears and black grapes in moderation. Blueberries and raspberries spike my BG big time though, as do oranges. Also parsnips. However none of them make me sick.

                  I do think your theory is right and I'm not eating any of the stuff now except the spaghetti when I can't face protein when ill but I'm just scratching my head.

                  Any more ideas please ?
                  Kettle chips use sunflower / safflower oil to cook them.

                  http://www.kettlebrand.com/our_products/faqs/

                  and it is expeller pressed. Which is good. But they have mega high omega 6 so I tend to avoid them. And they are rather greasy - which may account for the throwing up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    jammies, I can't eat rice, bananas or sweet potatoes as they put my blood sugar up (I have type 2 diabetes). The NHS and Diabetes UK advice is to eat starchy carbs at every meal, which I don't. I was diagnosed 2007, tried low GI which didn't work for me. Went low carb in 2010 and organic in March after finding out that the biggest supermarket chain here was adding dried glucose syrup and sodium acetate to plain pork loin steaks along with 11% water. A poster on another website recommended MDA to me and I found I'm eating primal now. Last HbA1c has me with normal BG. My other health markers are all normal as well and have improved. I've also lost weight including dropping from UK size 18 to size 14 since December. Am now same size I was when I got married in 1995.

                    I'm not eating ice cream or chips at all now, nor potato salad. I am eating oils and dairy though so I'm hoping they aren't a problem. I was just wondering whether it was a reaction to carbs.

                    Thanks for all the replies.. I thought cold-pressed rapeseed oil was high in vitamin E ? Have to say I don't particularly like it though ! Is European rapeseed oil the same as canola oil ???
                    Last edited by Artichoke; 07-04-2012, 09:39 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Agree with your doctor. When I was 8 I told myself I HATED pasta and my aunt made me eat it one time. She put butter on pasta and I threw it up all over because I convinced myself it was disgusting. Your doctor is right.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well if it was liver and onions or brussels sprouts I would agree with you cos I hate them but I actually enjoyed the potato salad, tinned spaghetti, crisps and ice cream.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Artichoke View Post
                          Well if it was liver and onions or brussels sprouts I would agree with you cos I hate them but I actually enjoyed the potato salad, tinned spaghetti, crisps and ice cream.
                          Yet somewhere deep in your mind you thought that it wasn't good and it made you throw up. There is nothing in these foods that should make you throw up, just your misplaced guilt.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Those kettle chips are fried in that oil. No matter how "good" that oil may have been, it is now toxic trans fatty acids.

                            It isn't carbs, it is the poison. Remember "don't eat poison"? Ice creams usually contain fillers and emulsifiers that are off the primal list since they are recognized irritants, like carageenan, and of course, they contain sugar, which will trigger a huge insulin rush.

                            If you make the ice cream yourself, from grass-fed whipping cream and fresh berries, and NO OTHER INGREDIENTS WHATSOEVER, then, yeah, that's a good treat once in awhile. Anything processed by a manufacturer, however, is not food.

                            Listen to your body.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hmm.. but if that were true that it was guilt, I'd throw up eating the tinned Heinz spaghetti and I haven't.

                              My adoptive father developed high cholesterol and I clearly remember as a child, suddenly we had to start eating margarine not butter, weren't allowed full fat milk, and only had a cooked breakfast on Christmas Day. Eggs became the spawn of the Devil as far as my parents were concerned. I was brainwashed with the low fat mantra. Went to live in Toronto and on the one hand TO seemed ultra health conscious, on the other hand I discovered Jello instant chocolate pudding, Sealtest blueberry yoghurt, Kraft Dinner macaroni cheese, Oreo cookies, apple and cinnamon Cheerios, Haagen Dazs, Triscuits and Stokeley Van Camp creamed corn..none of which I could get back in the UK back then (probably a good thing).

                              I had a real huge problem starting eating clotted cream, double cream, semi-skimmed milk, full fat yogurt, not cutting the fat off meat etc. I felt more guilty eating butter than I do eating Kettle Chips, for sure.

                              My ONLY sugary treat now is Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa chocolate (14g carbs per 100g bar) and even on the couple of times I pigged the whole bar, I wasn't sick. These days I stick to a couple of squares, sometimes grated over Kentish strawberries with Cornish clotted cream

                              I don't eat processed food now unless you count butter, ghee, oils, chocolate, cream, kefir, vinegar, yogurt, cheese and prosciutto crudo di Parma air-dried Parma ham - just pork legs and salt.
                              Last edited by Artichoke; 07-04-2012, 12:03 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X