Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef dripping

Hi
    So how does the beef dripping in the link below look as a good fat source to cook with or just eat?

living in the ice age: Britannia Beef Dripping

Itís very cheap in our supermarket, my only concern is whether the fat is from grain fed cattle, if it is then is it still ok?
    I thought itís the fat from non-organic meat that is bad for us.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I use this for cooking and it doesn't taste of much. I don't know of any organic versions but I'm always on the look out.

Reality is that in the UK most cattle are fed GM grain or feed. Waitrose is the only UK supermarket to stipulate that farmers must not feed GM feed for any of their ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Artichoke View Post
      I use this for cooking and it doesn't taste of much. I don't know of any organic versions but I'm always on the look out.

Reality is that in the UK most cattle are fed GM grain or feed. Waitrose is the only UK supermarket to stipulate that farmers must not feed GM feed for any of their ranges.
      Thanks for reply, so maybe not such a good fat source!

Comment

You made me curious so I called the manufacturer but the Quality Control person is on vacation this week so I will call next week as I was told she can tell me exactly where the dripping comes from in Uk and how it's made.

Comment

You made me curious so I called the manufacturer but the Quality Control person is on vacation this week so I will call next week as I was told she can tell me exactly where the dripping comes from in Uk and how it's made.
          Be good to hear what they say, thanks.

Comment

Keep us posted! At present I use organic fat from my butcher and render it down. I used to use Brittania many years ago - it makes lovely chips! But for years now, it has been the home render route. And my butcher GIVES me the fat - either beef or pork, I never know which I will be getting.

Comment

Aw, yeah, Breadsauce ... lovely chips! I keep a a small fryer (1 pint) and a tub of dripping in the fridge for a crafty portion of chips every now and again. That's "fries" for US readers - well, fat fries, anyway.

Dripping - it's a fat.

Know where your "extra virgin olive oil" comes from? It's not as pure as you think. Know where your "pure coconut oil" comes from ... again, not as pure as you think.

These are fats that come from industrial production - they are NOT paleo. No fat from industrial production is. This is what I find so odd about "paleo pure" - eating lean meats. Where the heck do you get the fat from? I want fatty meats!

Truth be told, I eat lean meats wetted up with dripping or coconut oil; veggies wetted up with dripping. I eat fatty meat otherwise and don't really add much else by way of fat.

Mark's recent fat adapted article is really useful: What Does it Mean to Be Fat-Adapted? | Mark's Daily Apple

Back to Johnny H - Britannia dripping is fat. It's a good fat and holds a profile superior to almost all other fats - grass fed, or not. It's fat. Don't worry about the grass fed thing - chances are the grass fed thing is smoke and mirrors anyway. Domestication ain't paleo neither - whatcha going do?
              Paul
              http://www.pjgh.co.uk
              http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I got dripping in a jar today from Waitrose for 79p on offer.

Comment

Our local farm shop sells containers of it really cheap.

Britannia brand is readily available in most supermarkets - it might not be perfect, but it is better than most fats.
                  Paul
                  http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                  http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Called Nortech Foods and spoke to the woman in Quality Control, Leanne, who is going to find out as much as she can about the cattle the dripping comes from and get back to me.

Comment

Called Nortech Foods and spoke to the woman in Quality Control, Leanne, who is going to find out as much as she can about the cattle the dripping comes from and get back to me.
                      Thanks for that!

Comment

Just an FYI folks, rendered beef fat is called tallow, pig fat is lard, dripping would be what you would have if you had a hunk of meat roasting on a rack in the oven and caught the dripping meat juices and fat in a tray below.
                        It tends to be softer and more flavorsome than pure rendered fat, at least it does when I make it.

In theory all good sources of fat, though I wouldn't buy it if it has been hydrogenated. To be honest I just wouldn't but lard, tallow or dripping as it is so easy to make your own and it tastes better :-)
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Misabi in the UK we can buy 500g blocks of beef dripping in supermarkets.

Comment

Misabi in the UK we can buy 500g blocks of beef dripping in supermarkets.
                            Yeah, we can get tubs of lard & dripping cheap here too. But as I said before, how it's been processed would concern me...
                            And as dripping is the by product of roasting a big hunk of delicious meat, why not do it at home and then have both to enjoy

I can't vouch for this being scientific fact, but it's similar to what I've read in other places: Lard: The New Health Food? | Food & Wine
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Our dripping from the fat the comes out of mutton flaps, pigs heads and rolled roasts.
                              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                              X