Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between lambs fry and lambs liver?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between lambs fry and lambs liver?

I thought they were one and the same until I saw them aligned today at the butcher shop.

Lambs liver is much darker and is slightly cheaper. I think I've been eating the darker one. So what in the name of God is lambs fry??!!

Here in the UK lambs fries are testicles. And Wiki thinks so too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_fries

Why not ask your butcher??!!

Comment

Really?! This sure didn't look like a testacle! It was the same size and shape as liver, but paler. How odd. The plot thickens....

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
        Why not ask your butcher??!!
        Doh! I will!

Comment

Yeah lamb fries are lamb's testicles. Probably great for you though so enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy View Post
            Yeah lamb fries are lamb's testicles. Probably great for you though so enjoy!
            Lamb fries may well be testacles, but this is lamb FRY. It is not testacles! It looks like liver, tastes like liver and is slightly more expensive than liver. I actually think it might just be from a different farmer and one might be grassfed and the other isn't. In Wiki says lamb's fry is cooked liver.

Comment

Spleen maybe... is it more shaped like a long tongue than the liver?

I know that for particularly large testicles it is sliced... so no longer looks so much like a testicle. But testicle is very light colored. Not really red at all. More light milky pink. Tasty though.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

According to Wiki, it is the subtle difference between "lamb's fry" (liver ) and "Lamb fries" (testicle). But why your butcher should have two , one labelled "lamb's liver" and one "Lamb's fry" is beyond my comprehension.

If Wiki is right - I've only ever heard of "Lamb fries" - and now we all know what that is!!!!

Comment

In Australia, lamb's fry is the name we use for liver. no idea why. maybe they were both the liver, just from a different animal?

Comment

Interesting. Either must be a different organ or both were liver and just of different quality.

Comment

or one was older
                      Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Comment

Originally posted by Bron View Post
                        In Australia, lamb's fry is the name we use for liver. no idea why. maybe they were both the liver, just from a different animal?
                        I think this must be it.

Comment

Beef liver is maroon and calf liver is pale pink so maybe one was mutton liver and the other lamb liver but the butcher didn't want to use the word "mutton" so instead called the mutton "fry" and the lamb "liver". It seems that for Indian cuisine mutton and lamb are interchangeable words so maybe it is the same for others, too.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Beef liver is maroon and calf liver is pale pink so maybe one was mutton liver and the other lamb liver but the butcher didn't want to use the word "mutton" so instead called the mutton "fry" and the lamb "liver". It seems that for Indian cuisine mutton and lamb are interchangeable words so maybe it is the same for others, too.
                            Bingo! This must be it, one was very dark, the other pale like calf liver. You win the prize I reckon sbhikes.

Comment

The colour of liver varies significantly. I expect it has much to do with the diet of the beast, and perhaps its health as well. I see livers side by side at my butcher with the same label but different shades
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X