Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber intake

Hey all,

I've been primal for about 3 weeks now, and I've been working on trying to get my family to go primal too. So far, they've been interested and love the primal food I've been making. One big issue I've been having is trying to get my mother to give up her constant bran for fiber intake. She eats All-Bran for breakfast, and also has a bran muffin for her morning coffee break snack. I've been trying to convince her that she doesn't need all that fiber, and that from all the fat she'll be eating, she wont need the bran at all, but she's very reluctant to give it up.

Do you have any words of wisdom from prior experience, or any suggestions on how I can convince her otherwise?

If she has access to the internet, send her over to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults. Lots of really great info there.

Yeah, fiber does not like me. We had a fight once and I lost. So now I just walk a different way when I see it.
    Durp.

Comment

Tell her she's paying good money to eat shredded cardboard and would probably get more nutrition from eating the packaging instead. Replace both with fruits & nuts.
      The thread below had a lot of discussion on this topic recently, may have some good info for you:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57849.html
      "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

instead of trying to convince point her at the google and let her make up her own mind. gutsense is a great site.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
          If she has access to the internet, send her over to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults. Lots of really great info there.

Yeah, fiber does not like me. We had a fight once and I lost. So now I just walk a different way when I see it.
          Thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out and send her over to it. Her and my father were always buying the "high fiber" cereals. You know, the ones that claim 13 grams of fiber per serving. They thought I was insane when I told them not to eat it, since they obviously need all that daily fiber. Sometimes I wish parents would listen to their children haha

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
            Tell her she's paying good money to eat shredded cardboard and would probably get more nutrition from eating the packaging instead. Replace both with fruits & nuts.
            The thread below had a lot of discussion on this topic recently, may have some good info for you:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57849.html
            The "paying good money" is a whole other issue. I've been telling her that we need to go through the cupboard and donate all the things that we shouldn't be eating because if its in the house, it will be a huge temptation. She said that if we do that, we'll be wasting their hard earned money. I said she has to decide which is more important. Her hard earned money she spent on that food, or the years of her life she'll lose by continuing to eat it until its all gone. Thank you for the link though!

Comment

Originally posted by ashleyisbister View Post
              The "paying good money" is a whole other issue. I've been telling her that we need to go through the cupboard and donate all the things that we shouldn't be eating because if its in the house, it will be a huge temptation. She said that if we do that, we'll be wasting their hard earned money. I said she has to decide which is more important. Her hard earned money she spent on that food, or the years of her life she'll lose by continuing to eat it until its all gone. Thank you for the link though!
              I went thru my mom's cupboard yesterday, collecting all the canned fruit & other canned foods, kraft mayo & other low qual groceries I could find. I put it all in my backpack & walked over to our local Publix, where she does most of her shopping. I got $18+ credit back for it all, except 2 cans from another store, which would not scan. They didn't ask for receipts. I bought 3 lbs of gras-fed ground beef on sale for $6.25/lb & we're making burgers & steamed veggies tonite for dinner. She likes the lean grass fed beef I've been making for her but she still thinks grains are neccesities to move her bowels. Education online & experimentation with higher fat meals, over time, hopefully will open her mind as well as her bowels.
              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Maybe she likes Bran? You don't have to convert people. I would be seriously annoyed if a family member was constantly trying to get me to give up something I enjoy.

Comment

My mom doesn't like having heart disease, nor does she like being overweight/borderline obese, plus she's always tired from the heart disease/damage to her mitral valve. She likes it when I shop & cook for her, but she does gripe about the lack of bagels in the house. I actually miss bagels sometimes too, lol. I told her she can eat bagels in the future if she chooses to, but for now, we're both eating clean & primal together this summer. She.s lost 11 lbs in 15 days, so she is happy about that.

Comment

She does get annoyed at times & complains. But most of the time, she scarfs down the meat & veggies with gusto, & lately she's been complaining less & eating more.

Her doctors have pretty much done all they can do for her. She is a serious long term carb, bread addict. I'd be remiss if I didn't do what I can do for her that will, potentially, help her recover & gain strength & health. I'm living w/ her for the summer, to do just that. I'd hope anyone would do the same for an ailing parent. I can handle her complaining several times a week about missing her bran muffins & bagels. She lost 11 lbs in 15 days, likes me shopping & cooking for her & we're swimming together & maybe in another 30-60 days, she'll be a lot healthier, energetic & thinner.
                    Last edited by Betorq; 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

i wish I could do this for my mom...I told her if she moved in with us for 2 weeks I could get her on track. Serious obesity and carb addiction too.
                      Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                      http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

It's nice to see some other people are going through the same issues. My mom doesn't like bran. She's just been told by CW that she needs it. She wants to try primal, but she's not sure how to do it. The whole "can't teach an old dog new tricks" thing. I know I may sound harsh to everyone, but my mom is 56, and has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, bladder issues, back problems, arthritis, etc. my dad is 63 and is diabetic (doesn't follow the diet at all), has major knee problems, and is even a cancer survivor. They are both 50+ lbs overweight. I'm 21 and I'll be damned that I will risk losing my parents at this young of an age because of something I can help fix. I may nag and sound like a spoiled brat because I won't listen to them but it's because I love y family to death, and I'd rather not watch them basically commit suicide like this.

Comment

Me too. Except I'm 46, my mom is 75, approx 30 lbs overweight (she's short), heart disease, 2 heart ops, all sorts of health issues like chronic UTI, bletheritis, hypothyroid, incontinence. She just said she lost 7 lbs since the past 2 weeks since I removed all the grain-based & crap oil & sugary stuff from her pantry & fridge.

The CW version of getting elderly sucks as far I'm witnessing it from her, my dad & most of their friends. I'd rather be trampled to death by grass fed cows or hit by an organic produce delivery truck @ a young age, than suffer like that.

Comment

Mine too.

My mom is 77 and has had her gall bladder removed decades ago, a mastectomy before that, and recently lost 40 pounds she actually needed because taking antacids and a PPI every single day made the absolute perfect environment for h.pylori to return with a vengeance and create multiple ulcers that went undiagnosed for almost a year.

And the doctor has her taking a statin (yes, I've told her the only thing they will do is make her feel worse) which has given her peripheral neuropathy, for which they have prescribed a pain med in additon to her arthritis meds. Seriously.

What drives me nuts is that she could be a perfectly healthy woman. We're from tough farmer stock. My grandma (her mother) just died 6 months ago, a week away from her 96th birthday, and that was after she had a couple of falls and was put in a rehab center so she couldn't cook her own meals anymore. I've tried to tell my mom this, but she takes all of those meds anyway, and if you look in her fridge it's all fake lowfat chemical crap. Argh!
                            Durp.

Comment

That's the same with mine! She's on bladder mess, statins, hypertension mess, you name it. We come from good genes too. My grandma is 97, lives on the independent side of a care home and still swims and even lifts weights!

Comment

Working...
                              X