No announcement yet.

Potato Success

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I eat half a cup of uncooked rice almost daily. I need it as i dont like eating fruit, due to fructose malabsorption so that would rule out a LC diet for me. Squashes and stuff dont have enough carbs so a starchy option is a must really. I choose to avoid potatoes only because they are nightshade, something i believe i have identified to give me negative effects. Which sucks because i love capsicum, eggplant and tomatoes

I'm thinking of introducing Taro and parsnips but i'm weary of possible side effects. Sweet potatoe i could have but due to having ffructose malabsorption, it is recommended to have half a cup serving which is pointless really so i dont think i will bother.

Comment

I eat sweet potatoes and still don't go over 100g of carbs a day (does that mean I should jog on?). Anyhow I'm in the 50-100 areas from sweet tators and raw or cultured dairy right now. I eat very little vegetable or fruit (basically just what I grow and pick to "flavor" my food), but eat plenty of the odds and ends (liver, kidney, heart, and broth).

I'm trying this out in contrast with my 50-100g of primarily veggies and BAS that I was doing.

So far I think I like this route better. I'm not convinced that all those extra veggies are actually more health promoting that eating more liver and such. Plus less nonsoluble fiber = less intestinal BLAH in my case. I didn't have any problem with LC or VLC when I did it. I'm just experimenting with varying where my limited carbs come from for now.

Comment

We have one of potatoes/kumara/rice pretty much every day as the carb with our evening meal.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I eat either white potatoes or white rice virtually every day now. I was VLC for about 18 months but gradually began to feel sort of weary - and had digestive issues (it really did improve asthma though). Began to re-introduce potatoes and white rice and my energy levels improved immediately, sleep improved and weight stayed stable.

And they TASTE so good - jersey royals in butter with steamed asparagus is a meal I adore!

Comment

Now it's summer and the small new, white potatoes taste great I think! For some reason they are more satiating and taste of more when eaten cold/room temp. than hot for me. But it is nicer when butter melts on them... Eaten cooled, something like creme fraice goes well with them.
            Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Alert! Alert!

Had a lukewarm leftover boiled potato with a couple of spare ribs for my afternoon snack today. Usually I have meat or almonds. About 10 minutes after finishing, I get a dizzy rush feeling and a bit of a warm flush. Not terrible, but odd. I eat pretty light during the day (after my breakfast smoothie) and have been kinda hungry, so I'm thinking blood sugar reaction.

I think I will save my potato reintroduction experiments for dinner, when I can fall into bed and enjoy the warm dizzies as I fall sound asleep.
              Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                And they TASTE so good - jersey royals in butter with steamed asparagus is a meal I adore!
                +1. So yummy and so in season in the UK right now.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I eat some white potato, sweet potato, or plantain once or twice a week. Occasionally some rice once a week as well. I don't overly schedule or try to have it certain days or anything and the preparation varies braised, roasted, baked, but never boiled... except for the plantains which are always brushed with coconut oil and oven 'fried'.

I try to keep to the plantains about once every other week because I WILL over eat them given the opportunity... they are pretty much the best thing ever in my book and count as part of dinner and DESSERT!
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I have potatoes 4-5 nights/week. I have to keep my carb level up most days or I get depressed. Potatoes are the cheapest higher carb food that is Primal for us.

Comment

Working...
                    X