Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post scientific studies suggesting grains are bad for you here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a celiac, bread is very, very bad for me. It's also probably bad for a lot of people with auto-immune diseases, gluten intolerance that isn't full-on celiac, and possibly other issues such as type 1 diabetes risk. So perhaps there's a population out there that is fine with gluten, but more people than just celiacs are likely better off eliminating gluten grains from their diet.

Agrarian diet and diseases of affluence
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/...2/fulltext.pdf
    http://www.celiaccenter.org/document...ril%202006.pdf
    [Relapsing acute pancreatitis associated ... [Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
    Six months of gluten-free diet do no... [J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Nady View Post
      Scientific Study~ It already going on~ all the people with conditions that require immunosuppressant drugs. I give it another 10 years, about 1,000 malpractice suits and 30 or so class action suits before big pharma funds research and 'discovers' a new disease~ gluten intolerance. And the CW treatment will be *are you ready* a gluten free diet! Big pharma will of course, turn it's R&D departments to the task of creating and supplying a line of gluten free products for the carb addicts they created with dwarf wheat.
      Gluten intolerance is already accepted by the medical community.

From the wiki article on gluten sensitivity:

Gluten sensitivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Until recently, the terms gluten sensitivity and celiac disease were used interchangeably in literature. However, emerging research is beginning to identify the differences that exist between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. If the medical history of a patient, along with clinical tests, rule out celiac disease and wheat allergy, a diagnosis of gluten sensitivity can be considered. However, certain criteria need to be met before a diagnosis of gluten sensitivity can be confirmed (see diagnosis section). Treatment for all three conditions is a gluten-free diet, the difference being that with wheat allergy the interruption is temporary and drugs may be administered, whereas in the case of celiac disease the diet is lifelong and even ingesting very small amounts of gluten-containing food could damage their health. In the case of gluten sensitivity, the withdrawal of gluten from the diet may only be temporary.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
        Depends on your definition of trolling. I am just making a point that your diet is based on fallacy.
        ROFL are you kidding me? Other than say grains are tasty with sauce you have provided nothing. No evidence that they are healthy, just parroting the same old grains are sooooo tasty (you then add with sauce) but nothing to show that eliminating them is harmful or that keeping them in is good.

Lets see you have never properly followed a paleo/primal lifestyle. If I remember correctly you couldn't go more than a week without the call of processed grains.
        You have issues with binge eating, even when you are not hungry (another call of the grains?)
        You have said your main reason on coming her is you like to argue, not debate facts but argue.

You have so many food issues of your own, have never properly tried paleo/primal and you try and tell us how to live our lives?!?! it is beyond believable.
        Last edited by Dirlot; 07-02-2012, 03:27 PM.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
          Why is everybody mad? I think this thread is very reasonable. Looking for evidence why grains are bad. I mean I want to be sure about something before I throw my life around .

Not saying I'm with jimhensen, or that I will start eating grains again, but I'm not against him either.
          He comes on here trying to spread miss information. And with the number of issues he has (see above) he is not position to talk to anyone about diet or lifestyle.
          PS
          Don't forget to play!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
            ROFL are you kidding me? Other than say grains are tasty with sauce you have provided nothing. No evidence that they are healthy, just parroting the same old grains are sooooo tasty (you then add with sauce) but nothing to show that eliminating them is harmful or that keeping them in is good.

Lets see you have never properly followed a paleo/primal lifestyle. If I remember correctly you couldn't go more than a week without the call of processed grains.
            You have issues with binge eating, even when you are not hungry (another call of the grains?)
            You have said your main reason on coming her is you like to argue, not debate facts but argue.

You have so many food issues of your own, have never properly tried paleo/primal and you try and tell us how to live our lives?!?! it is beyond believable.
            I haven't binged in almost a month while eating grains every day. It wasn't the grains that caused me to binge. Hey, you can eat however you want, I just want you to realize that the science behind eliminating grains from your diet is lacking.

Comment

Gluten intolerance is already accepted by the medical community.

From the wiki article on gluten sensitivity:

Gluten sensitivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Until recently, the terms gluten sensitivity and celiac disease were used interchangeably in literature. However, emerging research is beginning to identify the differences that exist between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. If the medical history of a patient, along with clinical tests, rule out celiac disease and wheat allergy, a diagnosis of gluten sensitivity can be considered. However, certain criteria need to be met before a diagnosis of gluten sensitivity can be confirmed (see diagnosis section). Treatment for all three conditions is a gluten-free diet, the difference being that with wheat allergy the interruption is temporary and drugs may be administered, whereas in the case of celiac disease the diet is lifelong and even ingesting very small amounts of gluten-containing food could damage their health. In the case of gluten sensitivity, the withdrawal of gluten from the diet may only be temporary.
              You realize that you just blew your *nothing bad about grains* argument right out of the water, right?

Comment

• So what exactly was triggering your binges?
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

You realize that you just blew your *nothing bad about grains* argument right out of the water, right?
                  Because people with gluten insensitivity shouldn't eat gluten? Grains are bad if you are sensitive to them. This has nothing to do with 95% or more people that are sensitive to gluten.

Comment

Scientific Study~ It already going on~ all the people with conditions that require immunosuppressant drugs. I give it another 10 years, about 1,000 malpractice suits and 30 or so class action suits before big pharma funds research and 'discovers' a new disease~ gluten intolerance. And the CW treatment will be *are you ready* a gluten free diet! Big pharma will of course, turn it's R&D departments to the task of creating and supplying a line of gluten free products for the carb addicts they created with dwarf wheat.
                    Oh, you are soooo naive. The treatment will be GLUTERGON.....now you can have your cake and eat it too! Thats right folks GLUTERGON binds to gluten so it comes out the other end without causing all those nasty symptoms that gluten does. Side effects may include: rectal prolapse, vomiting blood, psychosis, boils, blindness, liver cirrhosis, and death......BUT YOU CAN EAT YOUR CAKE NOW!

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Oh, you are soooo naive. The treatment will be GLUTERGON.....now you can have your cake and eat it too! Thats right folks GLUTERGON binds to gluten so it comes out the other end without causing all those nasty symptoms that gluten does. Side effects may include: rectal prolapse, vomiting blood, psychosis, boils, blindness, liver cirrhosis, and death......BUT YOU CAN EAT YOUR CAKE NOW!
                      LOL... between that and some Alli (Orlistat)... WEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Because people with gluten insensitivity shouldn't eat gluten? Grains are bad if you are sensitive to them. This has nothing to do with 95% or more people that are sensitive to gluten.
                        Logically, wouldn't people who feel better on a GF diet be more likely to be represented in places like this? So why are you telling us to eat gluten.

Given the diagnosis technique for determining gluten intolerence is first removing the gluten from the diet for around 90 days, which few people who are paleo even manage, what makes you so sure the real incidence of GI isn't much higher?

Also- I see you are changing your argument now.
                        Lifting Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          I love it!

Comment

• Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                            So what exactly was triggering your binges?
                            Well it wasn't any type of food, because I can eat any food right now without bingeing. I do find that some foods seem to promote bingeing a bit more than others though. Potato salad is one of them. Also I made some stove top stuffing from a box and that made me want to binge. I didn't binge after eating potato salad or stuffing though. I think it has more to do with them being side dishes and me not having a set amount that I am supposed to eat. (when I eat a sandwich, I eat the whole thing, when I eat some stuffing or potato salad, there isn't a set amount like that).

As for what caused bingeing though, I think it was a few things. I think that I would become reasonably restrictive with my diet when I would try to lose weight, and I think that restrictiveness led to an unhealthy relationship with food, which then led to bingeing. It got to the point where I was either on a diet or just eating as unhealthy as possible. It was one or the other. Now I realize there has to be a happy medium.

To be honest though I used to smoke a ton of weed. All day every day. I ended up quitting along with quitting drinking for over a year and I just switched my addiction to food. It also didn't help that I had a job in a pizza place at this time where I was allowed to eat as much as I wanted for free. So it was a combination of that, along with restrictive dieting to try to make up for it, that led to bingeing.

Comment

• Er - are you alluding to glucagon?
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• [QUOTE=jimhensen;888033]I haven't binged in almost a month while eating grains every day. It wasn't the grains that caused me to binge. Hey, you can eat however you want, I just want you to realize that the science behind eliminating grains from your diet is lacking.[/QUOTE

Go check out any study that tries to promote whole grains and it clear how bad they are, much more accurate to say the science on keeping them in is lacking.
                                PS
                                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X