Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post scientific studies suggesting grains are bad for you here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
    Those aren't mutually exclusive though. You can be on a high protein diet while eating grains.
    Now we are back to that old question why do you want us to eat wheat/glue every chance you get.

    You can if you want to. Others here eat rice or quinoa if needing to really up the calories for a marathon but other than that there is no need.

    Pretty every study that has been linked in this thread and pretty much everyone here has found it is much healthier not to to eat wheat/glue and other grains.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
      Those aren't mutually exclusive though. You can be on a high protein diet while eating grains.
      Sure you can, but if you do you are calorie for calorie likely excluding other more nutritious foods at their addition. Plus, most of the nutrition in grain products is added in during processing, aka 'fortified'.
      I can take a vitamin tablet if I want that.

      Also, you have never actually answered the question as to WHY you want try to talk people here, who are happy without grains, into eating them.
      It seems to me it's one of those misery loves company situations. Like when my unhealthy relatives say "C'mon, have some cake... this once won't hurt you." And shove a plate toward me... No thanks. I've had it before and it usually tastes like crap anyway. *shrug*
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

      Comment


      • Yup someone can be on a high protein diet while eating safe grains while being active and lose weight.

        However, Jim, you've clearly stated that being active is too difficult for you for some mysterious reason. Hence, something has to give.
        Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-04-2012, 03:00 PM. Reason: clarification
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

        Comment


        • I'd also like to speak to the "active" thing.

          I'm a disabled person. I live with severe chronic medical illness...
          And I walk despite motor skills dysfunction (gait ataxia) and bouts of dizzyness, confusion, and disorientation... on the days that I can. I admit that some days are worse than others and I can't walk every single day.

          I do not, however, walk like a normal person. I walk in 10 min segments on a treadmill inside my home (with the emergency off cord tied to me). I cannot leave the house to walk unsupervised because I can have seizure like episodes where I can't move, speak, or respond.
          My doctor is FINE with this plan... thrilled by it in fact! She says it doesn't matter. Moving is MOVING and helps your body function better. Most of the days I walk I try and do at least 30-40min. Some days I feel better and can do up to 60-90min. If I thought about exercising conventionally and thought that I had to do at least 30-40 min all in one shot to do it at all... I would FAIL every time and quit (because self induced seizure time is stupid).

          Is this "ideal". Hell no. But MY body is not in an "ideal" state right now... the temple is half fallen down. The thing is, if I just sit on my ass the rest will likely follow. You gotta do SOMETHING, even if it isn't as strenuous as what a healthy person would prescribe for you. Poke at your limits. Push them a little bit. I'm not going to say it's easy... living like I live isn't easy... but I keep working at making it better instead of making excuses.
          Last edited by cori93437; 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            I'd also like to speak to the "active" thing.

            I'm a disabled person. I live with severe chronic medical illness...
            And I walk despite motor skills dysfunction (gait ataxia) and bouts of dizzyness, confusion, and disorientation... on the days that I can. I admit that some days are worse than others and I can't walk every single day.

            I do not, however, walk like a normal person. I walk in 10 min segments on a treadmill inside my home (with the emergency off cord tied to me). I cannot leave the house to walk unsupervised because I can have seizure like episodes where I can't move, speak, or respond.
            My doctor is FINE with this plan... thrilled by it in fact! She says it doesn't matter. Moving is MOVING and helps your body function better. Most of the days I walk I try and do at least 30-40min. Some days I feel better and can do up to 60-90min. If I thought about exercising conventionally and thought that I had to do at least 30-40 min all in one shot to do it at all... I would FAIL every time and quit (because self induced seizure time is stupid).

            Is this "ideal". Hell no. But MY body is not in an "ideal" state right now... the temple is half fallen down. The thing is, if I just sit on my ass the rest will likely follow. You gotta do SOMETHING, even if it isn't as strenuous as what a healthy person would prescribe for you. Poke at your limits. Push them a little bit. I'm not going to say it's easy... living like I live isn't easy... but I keep working at making it better instead of making excuses.
            It's awesome how far you are pushing yourself.

            I have less restrictive (so far) issues.

            Nonetheless, I say that merely being overweight or moderately obese is no excuse whatsoever for shunning exercise.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
              Yup someone can be on a high protein diet while eating safe grains while being active and lose weight.

              However, Jim, you've clearly stated that being active is too difficult for you for some mysterious reason. Hence, something has to give.
              lol, being active isn't too difficult for me. Just a couple months ago I was doing serious mma practices 3 or 4 times a week. It doesn't really fit into my schedule right now though. I could ride a stationary bike I have or do some body weight exercises at night if I wanted to, but there isn't much of a reason for me to do so. I might burn a couple hundred calorie more a day (if that) and that would produce less than 2 pounds of extra weight loss a month. It just isn't really worth my time or effort at this point. When I hit a plateau or when I feel like I want to burn some extra energy I will add some exercise into my routine. Until then I can just keep doing what I'm doing.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                lol, being active isn't too difficult for me. Just a couple months ago I was doing serious mma practices 3 or 4 times a week. It doesn't really fit into my schedule right now though. I could ride a stationary bike I have or do some body weight exercises at night if I wanted to, but there isn't much of a reason for me to do so. I might burn a couple hundred calorie more a day (if that) and that would produce less than 2 pounds of extra weight loss a month. It just isn't really worth my time or effort at this point. When I hit a plateau or when I feel like I want to burn some extra energy I will add some exercise into my routine. Until then I can just keep doing what I'm doing.
                Yeah right.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                Comment


                • Although exercise can help promote weight loss it is more about being and keeping fit and the good it does your body.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                    Although exercise can help promote weight loss it is more about being and keeping fit and the good it does your body.
                    I am coming down from 320. I'm right about 300 right now. I am 5'8 and would probably be in top physical shape around 180 pounds. Getting the weight off is the most important thing now. Once I get down to a more manageable weight I can start to worry about keeping fit and doing good for my body, but as of right now priority number one is losing weight.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                      Yeah right.
                      Yeah right to what? That I was doing mma practices? You don't have to believe me but I am a pretty competent grappler.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                        I am coming down from 320. I'm right about 300 right now. I am 5'8 and would probably be in top physical shape around 180 pounds. Getting the weight off is the most important thing now. Once I get down to a more manageable weight I can start to worry about keeping fit and doing good for my body, but as of right now priority number one is losing weight.
                        That is a high goal unless you get moving...I am 6' 180 and 13% BF....you have a lot of moving to get a lot of muscle on and loose a lot at the same time.

                        If I was you I would focus on that rather than trying to convince us to eat glue/grains. Seems you have much bigger battles to fight.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                          That is a high goal unless you get moving...I am 6' 180 and 13% BF....you have a lot of moving to get a lot of muscle on and loose a lot at the same time.

                          If I was you I would focus on that rather than trying to convince us to eat glue/grains. Seems you have much bigger battles to fight.
                          Truth.

                          "I'll do "x" when..." stops more people from doing things in this world than anything else ever has.

                          Losing weight can be a long slow process, no need to sit and wait for it. Might as well make use of the time in small steps to be prepared to use the smaller body one you have it.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                            If you keep your protein high enough your muscle loss will be minimal.
                            Incorrect. That's a one sided answer. You could consume 1.5-1.7 grams of protein per lb of LBM and still severely damage yourself due to over-training and/or improper or poor overall nutrition for an extended period of time. I'm an example of that. It's all about balance. Your body will be better off if you start incorporating weights now, instead of later, or one day you probably will be 180lbs, only you'll still be something crazy like 25% BF. There is a notion to lose it all in a hurry because technically, you can. It's detrimental to your health to do so. Slow, steady and intentional wins in the long run every time.

                            I know that picking a weight is motivating and that it's an easy thing to monitor, but I suggest picking a reasonable BF% instead. No offense, and I can say this since I used to be a 330lb porker, but frankly you don't have the first hand experience to come up with some of the stuff you've come up with. This entire premise is like telling an expert in _____ that he isn't qualified to give you input. You're a 300lbs dude trying to tell people with sub 15% BF%'s how to be healthy and why XYZ is good or bad. You're like a lawyer fresh out of law school. You may have read a lot, but you haven't put anything into practice long enough to really know what you're talking about.

                            Studies, and knowledge of studies, nutrition, lifting strategies/theories are cool and all, but it's worthless knowledge without experience to go with it. Every study, every blog, everything filled with facts and raw data has various fallacies, mainly that the information was most likely interpreted by a biased person. In goes back to my earlier comment about how science still can't decide if a freaking egg is good or bad for you. At the end of the day, a panel of people sitting around yakking about eggs doesn't really accomplish anything.

                            In other words, less reading, more doing!
                            Last edited by Catharsis; 07-04-2012, 10:46 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
                              Incorrect. That's a one sided answer. You could consume 1.5-1.7 grams of protein per lb of LBM and still severely damage yourself due to over-training and/or improper or poor overall nutrition for an extended period of time. I'm an example of that. It's all about balance. Your body will be better off if you start incorporating weights now, instead of later, or one day you probably will be 180lbs, only you'll still be something crazy like 25% BF. There is a notion to lose it all in a hurry because technically, you can. It's detrimental to your health to do so. Slow, steady and intentional wins in the long run every time.
                              I think I love you.
                              I know that wasn't for me... but thank you.

                              I have my limits, and I know them, but I do what I can.
                              I eat well and have developed an "eat to live" instead of "eat to lose" relationship with food.
                              I move as I'm able and I can work at being a better ME a little bit every day.
                              Working towards the goals in body and in mind.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                                Although exercise can help promote weight loss it is more about being and keeping fit and the good it does your body.
                                +1

                                Functional fitness is soooo beneficial.
                                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X