No announcement yet.

How do I get all that fat into my diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get all that fat into my diet?

I've been trying to get most of my calories from fat, but I'm having problems finding good sources. I've been literally drinking coconut oil. I know this isn't bad, but I need a little variety.

I had sausage for breakfast today, bacon yesterday. I have been eating a lot of avacadoes, but I don't want to make myself sick of them.

I'm trying not to eat too much protein, and I haven't been eating grains or sugar for 3 weeks.

WHERE'S THE FAT?

Settle down . Did you know fatty meats (think 80/20 ground beef is 65% Calories in Ground Beef 80/20 - Nutrition Facts & Other Nutritional Information | LIVESTRONG.COM) and many kinds of roasts are more than 60% fat by calorie on their own? That is without adding anything at all to the mix! So eat and enjoy the fat as part of the meal. Cook your veggies and eggs in a bit of butter or coconut oil and thats all you have to do!

For some extra benefit find some fatty bone in meats to cook whole in a slow cooker. Cook whole chickens, large roasts, pork shoulder....so on and so forth. Throw some veggies in to absorb the drippings and enjoy the benefits of eating healthy fat and a simple bone broth all in one.

Comment

Thank you, Neckhammer. I really appreciate the input. I'll try to relax.

Comment

Hmmm, how about high fat cuts of meat, a few nuts, fatty fish like mackerel, sardines or salmon to name a few, olives, and of course more avocados and MORE BACON!

Tercio

Comment

No problemo. The point really is that you don't have to go out of your way to avoid fatty cuts of meat. And when you tend to prefer these fattier cuts...like they do in traditional hunter/gatherer society, you get to that perfect ratio of protein/fat without even having to count or think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohannaAnderson View Post
            I'm trying not to eat too much protein, and I haven't been eating grains or sugar for 3 weeks.
            Why are you avoiding protein? Are you in renal failure? Unless you have a medical reason to avoid protein, you should be eating a fair amount.
            "Go For Broke"
            Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
            Small Kine-168/9%
            Now- 200/8%
            Goal- 210/6%

Comment

What about carbohydrates? I'm also curious about why you are focused on getting the majority of your calories from fat. Is there a particular health issue you're dealing with that makes you eschew primal/paleo sources of carbs (vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds)?
              Teacher and Homeschooler
              One husband of 9 years,
              Two kids (6 & 3)
              Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankiG View Post
                I'm also curious about why you are focused on getting the majority of your calories from fat.
                That's kind of the basis of primal, most of the calories are supposed to come from fat. Fat>Protein>Carbs.
                "Go For Broke"
                Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                Small Kine-168/9%
                Now- 200/8%
                Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                  Why are you avoiding protein? Are you in renal failure? Unless you have a medical reason to avoid protein, you should be eating a fair amount.
                  Could I ask you a question ?
                  You seem to be a great source of informations

Is there such a thing as too much protein for optimal health ?
                  Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
                  (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                    That's kind of the basis of primal, most of the calories are supposed to come from fat. Fat>Protein>Carbs.
                    Not in my reading of it - not fearing fat, enjoying eating fat as part of your diet, realizing fat is not 'unhealthy' to consume if it's from the right sources, and getting some calories from it are all part of primal. But the *majority* (which to me means <50%) from fat is not something widely recommended for everyone and seems a bit strange to me (unless there are some other health issues at play that make it necessary...but I really don't see ANY WAY to argue that paleolithic humans consumed 50%+ of their daily food from fat sources). The more common ratios I've seen are a more evenly split between the three nutrients (examples such as these - it varies person to person):
                    Teacher and Homeschooler
                    One husband of 9 years,
                    Two kids (6 & 3)
                    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Comment

Not in my reading of it - not fearing fat, enjoying eating fat as part of your diet, realizing fat is not 'unhealthy' to consume if it's from the right sources, and getting some calories from it are all part of primal. But the *majority* (which to me means <50%) from fat is not something widely recommended for everyone and seems a bit strange to me (unless there are some other health issues at play that make it necessary...but I really don't see ANY WAY to argue that paleolithic humans consumed 50%+ of their daily food from fat sources). The more common ratios I've seen are a more evenly split between the three nutrients (examples such as these - it varies person to person):
                      Mark recommends getting 50% or so of your calories from fat. Many people here do 40-60 or even more as far as fat percentage.

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Brains, bone marrow, suet, and other fat were likely highly prized in game animals and preferentially eaten. Fat was rendered out and stored. I doubt that the diet was always 50% fat, but I would suspect it was sometimes.

ETA: I love this photo of the intra-abdominal fat in bison. Shows there is a lot more fat in game meat than just what you see in the muscle meat - not even including brain and bone marrow.

http://www.tribeoffive.com/2011/04/h...ing-bison.html
                      Last edited by jammies; 06-30-2012, 03:51 PM.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
                        Is there such a thing as too much protein for optimal health ?
                        Within reason, not really. 2-2.2g/kg is fine; if one was to eat 4g/kg you might have some issues. But eating that much protein would be ridiculous, I would have to eat 54 eggs a day to do that. So common sense here, it's really hard to eat too much protein.
                        "Go For Broke"
                        Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                        Small Kine-168/9%
                        Now- 200/8%
                        Goal- 210/6%

Comment

But the *majority* (which to me means <50%) from fat is not something widely recommended for everyone and seems a bit strange to me (unless there are some other health issues at play that make it necessary. The more common ratios I've seen are a more evenly split between the three nutrients
                          It sounds like you're referring to the Zone Diet.

Let's do a little Primal Math here:

2500 kcal intake for a 160lbs (72kg) man
                          about 100g of carbs
                          about 160g of protein
                          remainder of fat

Calories from Carbs: 400 Protein: 640 Fat: 1460

Percent of Total: Carbs= 15% Protein= 26% Fat=58%
                          (note there is some rounding error)
                          "Go For Broke"
                          Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                          Small Kine-168/9%
                          Now- 200/8%
                          Goal- 210/6%

Comment

I eat around 150g of carbs per day, which is about 30% of my calories.
                            I eat 100g of protein per day, which is about 20% of my calories.
                            That leaves 50% from fat, and that's not even with a lot of added fat, it's mostly what was in the meat/fish.
                            I would find it very difficult to try to get my ratios evenly split, and I highly doubt my paleolithic ancestors would have had evenly split ratios either.
                            Last edited by lotusberries; 06-30-2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

It can be hard to get more than about 45-55% fat in your diet without dairy. Butter added can help. Choose sour cream instead of yogurt. Coconut products can help. Coconut manna is pretty tasty eaten right out of the jar. I've been able to find coconut cream. It's a little more fatty than coconut milk but sort of has a fragrant taste probably more suitable for desserts, although I thought it made quite a nice curry. I made a smoothie with it and that fat-bomb kept me satisfied all day.

I kind of had this crazy idea the other day of making coconut pemmican using beef tallow and shredded coconut. I'm not sure if it would taste horrible or good. I already have beef jerky pemmican that I made.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X