Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has ANY study shown eating lots of meat is good for longevity and health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
    EXACTLY! But I don't understand why people on this forum use Inuits as an example of a society that thrives on meat.
    That's because they were a society that thrived on a primarily meat & fat diet for thousands of years.
    Along with them there were Masai, Katava and some other hunter gatherer tribes, not all meat based, the studies were done in an observational style because that was the required standard at the time. They showed that all these societies had positive health indicators, like cholesterol & heart disease, didn't indicate any issues with degenerative diseases and had mental clarity into old age.
    They were not based on measures of longevity and this would be irrelevant as the major causes of premature death were physical trauma not disease.
    I have quoted these examples in the past on the basis of that information, not that they lived to 120 years or that a purely meat based diet was the best, just that it was possible.
    Those early studies are the basis of the Paleo movement and if they were not done, there is a high likelihood that the Paleo movement would not be as far advanced as it is today.
    Last edited by Omni; 07-02-2012, 01:02 AM.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
      That's because they were a society that thrived on a primarily meat & fat diet for thousands of years.
      Along with them there were Masai, Katava and some other hunter gatherer tribes, not all meat based, the studies were done in an observational style because that was the required standard at the time. They showed that all these societies had positive health indicators, like cholesterol & heart disease, didn't indicate any issues with degenerative diseases and had mental clarity into old age.
      They were not based on measures of longevity and this would be irrelevant as the major causes of premature death were physical trauma not disease.
      I have quoted these examples in the past on the basis of that information, not that they lived to 120 years or that a purely meat based diet was the best, just that it was possible.
      Those early studies are the basis of the Paleo movement and if they were not done, there is a high likelihood that the Paleo movement would not be as far advanced as it is today.
      Please point me to these studies. I really want to read them.
      Also by the same analogy it is possible to live on grains as well (not alone).

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
        It's because the prevailing wisdom is that you will die horribly eating too much meat. Yet they subsisted for hundreds of years on an almost exclusively meat diet.

I love the two basic food groups: meat and vegetables. I eat lots more of both of them on primal than I did before, cutting out all of the bulk 'filler' carbohydrates that made things cheaper.
        Fair enough if these societies are only quoted as an example that you can live mainly on meat but not how long you can live and how healthy. Since there were no such studies done we dont really have evidence that eating predominantly meat will result in long and healthy life. This post was about healthy and long life and someone threw Masaai and other societies I wanted to know where this info that they lived long and healthy came from.

Comment

I looked at this specific question a while ago, it was spurred on by my research into autoimmune diseases & cancer looking at the remedial diets, although there is still a fair bit of controversy on these diet cures, there is anecdotal evidence that it did help and in some cases cure individuals of their ailment, the ones I looked at were primarily MS and Cancer and both had a leaning to being vegetarian or very low lean meat & seafood intakes, these are ofcourse offset by the ketogenic type diets for epilepsy and other conditions (can't remember right now), so anyway they are completely opposite healing diets.
          Then I looked at the question of longevity and typically you come up with the Hunza, Aberrkabah, Vilicomba & Okinawans. Well the first three did have a vegetable based diet with low meat consumption, but there are many questions about the reliability of health and age figures & then there are the images of grinning old men with totally decayed teeth. As for the Okinawans it appears the age records are much better substantiated, but something seems to have been lost in the diet translation, that being their intake of pork, and not just lean meat, but good doses of fat & lard, their intake of meat is higher than mainland Japan, so not as frugal as painted by the original interpretations of the studies, just one link below:
          Heretic: Beware of Okinawa Diet scam!
          So the Okinawans did like their animal fats, don't forget the oldest person recorded, the french woman, died at 122 & 7 months I think, nothing special there and she even smoked a couple of cigarettes every day from the age of 17 or 18 I think. Then I googled longest lifespans and at the time Andorra was at the top, a tiny country in the Pyrinees between France & Spain, lowest point in country around 1,200m, about 300 days sunshine per year, general mediterranean diet, daily activity in lifestyle and not too many stresses, but now becoming a tourist mecca, bringing modernisation, junk food, convenience, slothfulness & crime, so it seems they are also on a downward trend to join the rest of the western world.
          I had a quick look at the Blue Zone thing, looks interesting, will go back there another time.
          I'd also like to mention the whole evolutionary meat/big brain thing, not likely, it seems the big brain was a product of rapidly cycling climate change from wet to dry to wet, this period went for many thousands of years, sometimes cycling in as little as a thousand years and this is when the first Homo Sapiens evolved, so it seems the Big brain gave us the ability to adapt quickly, it did not grow big because we ate meat, so we are creatures of "Climate Change"

With all that I have read I lean my meat intake to the conservative side, for a rough figure I'd say less than 50% calories from animal products, that would put it at about 30% by weight & volume and I am also working toward a lower calorific intake naturally as my body adapts to the diet and builds up micro nutrient stores.
          Try to get plenty of natural outdoor activity & sunshine, leave the car at home and ride bike or walk to shops, working towards a better approach to life and reducing the impacts of stress, basically making a point to laugh every day as many times as possible.

Like that reggae song a while back "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
            Please point me to these studies. I really want to read them.
            Also by the same analogy it is possible to live on grains as well (not alone).
            Yes I agree, there are many ways people have survived, but those that did subsist primarily on grains did so on the whole grain and always soaked grains then rinsed well before preparation etc., they probably did this to aid cooking, not realising that they were also removing harmful antinutrients as well.
            As for the studies a good place to start is the published works of Cordain on Paleo Diet.
            Published Research | The Paleo Diet
            I can't point you to a specific work, as I just keep reading and absorbing as I go, remembering key points and getting an overall picture, my purpose is to gain personal knowledge, not convince others.
            Last edited by Omni; 07-02-2012, 01:50 AM.

Comment

No actually I read restricting aminos like methionine & I forget what else helps with longevity; meat is high in methionine.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                Try to get plenty of natural outdoor activity & sunshine, leave the car at home and ride bike or walk to shops, working towards a better approach to life and reducing the impacts of stress, basically making a point to laugh every day as many times as possible.

Like that reggae song a while back "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
                I think that sunshine and outdoor activity are a HUGE factor, maybe even the most important factor. All 4 "Blue Zones" were in places that got a lot of sunshine. The more we learn about "natural" vitamin-d, produced from skin exposure to the sun, the more we learn it is protective against all sorts of bad things. Maybe diet is the key factor, but maybe vitamin-d and overall activity (not exercise) was the key factor.

Comment

Lifestyle is a huge factor. Also keep in mind the Blue Zones don't eat a Mediterranean diet as it is pushed in North America.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

Well here's some studies that show higher cholesterol is beneficial: HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE: Higher cholesterol levels are associated with less severe strokes and lower death rates

Could lend credence to the meat is good baby! My opinion is that it's a no brainer, but just my opinion.

Comment

What's kind of silly about this whole discussion is that if they created some kind of phony factory food that could give you the longest, healthiest lifespan, would that make it the food you SHOULD eat? I mean, there is something pleasing to me about eating real food found in nature even if it isn't going to appear on the front page of Discover magazine with a breathless headline reading "The Food of the Future: Long Lives for Everyone!" There is something just right to me about taking my place in the circle of life. Maybe I'm just too philosophical, but I would rather look to nature than to technology and I'd be plenty satisfied with a slightly shorter lifespan if my life could be close to nature.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        What's kind of silly about this whole discussion is that if they created some kind of phony factory food that could give you the longest, healthiest lifespan, would that make it the food you SHOULD eat? I mean, there is something pleasing to me about eating real food found in nature even if it isn't going to appear on the front page of Discover magazine with a breathless headline reading "The Food of the Future: Long Lives for Everyone!" There is something just right to me about taking my place in the circle of life. Maybe I'm just too philosophical, but I would rather look to nature than to technology and I'd be plenty satisfied with a slightly shorter lifespan if my life could be close to nature.
                        If grains would actually be healthy I would eat a lot more grains and a lot less meat. Simply because I don't really like the idea of slaughtering animals and it would make my parents happy.
                        well then

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Oh yeah, don't forget this one. Actually I bet there's a stronger correlation of people helping other people and long life than almost anything else. ...
                          This reminds me of a BBC news article I read today, where a centenarian puts her longevity down to just that:

BBC News - How to live beyond 100

Name: Nora Hardwick
                          Top tip: Put others first, drink whisky
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                            If grains would actually be healthy I would eat a lot more grains and a lot less meat. Simply because I don't really like the idea of slaughtering animals and it would make my parents happy.
                            From what I read about how much you eat.....if you where my kid I'd be stuffing you with potatoes. Grass fed beef is for the grown ups . You get tators and some liver.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              From what I read about how much you eat.....if you where my kid I'd be stuffing you with potatoes. Grass fed beef is for the grown ups . You get tators and some liver.
                              Well, I love mashed sweet potatoes with goat cheese but PLEASE. NO. LIVER.
                              well then

Comment

Ever notice how those centenarians often recommend whiskey?
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X