Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, Red Lobster, how you vex me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh, Red Lobster, how you vex me

    Today is my father in law's birthday, and he decided to go out to Red Lobster for dinner. I looked at the menu in advance and discovered that they offered an allergen summary for all of their foods. And whoa, they have wheat/gluten and soy in almost everything! Including their steamed broccoli! (WTF?)

    Here's what I found that made the wheat/gluten-free and soy-free grade:

    Steamed 1.4-pound Maine lobster
    Wood-grilled fresh fish of the day
    Snow crab legs
    King crab legs
    Baked potato with sour cream
    Orange slices
    Cheesecake (!!!) with strawberries

    And that's it.

    So I had a garden salad without dressing or croutons, the steamed lobster (didn't even need butter, it was that sweet), and the baked potato (without skin, but with sour cream), along with 1/2 glass of wine. Wound up being very tasty.

    Back at home, my inlaws had coffee cake, my husband and sons had doughnuts, and I had a cup of mint tea. (But hey, I could have, somehow, had the cheesecake at Red Lobster -- seriously, how could cheesecake be wheat- and gluten-free? And the steamed broccoli and asparagus is **not** wheat- or gluten-free? Come on. Someone's messing with me.)
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

    **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

    **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

  • #2
    Had to register and reply to this. Last week I went to Chick-fil-a and ordered a salad-of course all the dressings had soy so I said I would just use some ranch so it came with croutons and sunflower seeds. Of course the croutons was off paleo diet but I was sure the sunflower seeds were pure as the driven snow-what possibly could they do to sunflower seeds but leave them the f alone-right? Well I looked at the ingredients-soy, some type of vegetable oil and about 10 other ingredients. I was like wtf this must be a joke-why do they do this-I guess these chains have figured we are accustomed to artificially enhanced flavors and sunflower seeds naked is just too natural for our junk food palate. It was just enlightening and frightening at the same time.
    Peace

    Comment


    • #3
      The broccoli is proably coated with soybean oil to make it gleam.

      I checked their online menu but it doesn't list the nutritional info for condiments and sauces. I wonder how much of that melted butter is really melted butter and how much corn oil is in there. Pure butter gets expensive.
      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

      Comment


      • #4
        because cheesecake is generally cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and sugar

        supposed to be anyways
        beautiful
        yeah you are

        Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cookiemonster View Post
          Had to register and reply to this. Last week I went to Chick-fil-a and ordered a salad-of course all the dressings had soy so I said I would just use some ranch so it came with croutons and sunflower seeds. Of course the croutons was off paleo diet but I was sure the sunflower seeds were pure as the driven snow-what possibly could they do to sunflower seeds but leave them the f alone-right? Well I looked at the ingredients-soy, some type of vegetable oil and about 10 other ingredients. I was like wtf this must be a joke-why do they do this-I guess these chains have figured we are accustomed to artificially enhanced flavors and sunflower seeds naked is just too natural for our junk food palate. It was just enlightening and frightening at the same time.
          Peace
          "Enlightening and frightening." Yup, that's a perfect way to describe fast food and chain restaurants.
          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

          **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

          **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by oxide View Post
            The broccoli is proably coated with soybean oil to make it gleam.

            I checked their online menu but it doesn't list the nutritional info for condiments and sauces. I wonder how much of that melted butter is really melted butter and how much corn oil is in there. Pure butter gets expensive.
            Makes me even gladder that I skipped the butter!

            Coating broccoli with soybean oil? Ugh!
            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

            **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

            **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
              because cheesecake is generally cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and sugar

              supposed to be anyways
              Ooh. So I suppose that cheesecakes that have a graham cracker crust are the exception to the rule? Hmm...
              F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

              **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

              **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                Ooh. So I suppose that cheesecakes that have a graham cracker crust are the exception to the rule? Hmm...
                When it comes to cheesecake, there are no rules!
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by oxide View Post
                  The broccoli is proably coated with soybean oil to make it gleam.

                  I checked their online menu but it doesn't list the nutritional info for condiments and sauces. I wonder how much of that melted butter is really melted butter and how much corn oil is in there. Pure butter gets expensive.
                  We were at Red Lobster awhile back and had to leave early. My wife asked for some drawn butter to take home for her lobster, and the waitress said to "use margarine, that's what we do!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm always amazed by how unchicken like chicken is at chain restaurants. Really the sit down chains are as scary if not more than fast food places.

                    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by docfitch View Post
                      We were at Red Lobster awhile back and had to leave early. My wife asked for some drawn butter to take home for her lobster, and the waitress said to "use margarine, that's what we do!"
                      Thank you! I wondered about that.
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                        Today is my father in law's birthday, and he decided to go out to Red Lobster for dinner. I looked at the menu in advance and discovered that they offered an allergen summary for all of their foods. And whoa, they have wheat/gluten and soy in almost everything! Including their steamed broccoli! (WTF?)

                        Here's what I found that made the wheat/gluten-free and soy-free grade:

                        Steamed 1.4-pound Maine lobster
                        Wood-grilled fresh fish of the day
                        Snow crab legs
                        King crab legs
                        Baked potato with sour cream
                        Orange slices
                        Cheesecake (!!!) with strawberries

                        And that's it.

                        So I had a garden salad without dressing or croutons, the steamed lobster (didn't even need butter, it was that sweet), and the baked potato (without skin, but with sour cream), along with 1/2 glass of wine. Wound up being very tasty.

                        Back at home, my inlaws had coffee cake, my husband and sons had doughnuts, and I had a cup of mint tea. (But hey, I could have, somehow, had the cheesecake at Red Lobster -- seriously, how could cheesecake be wheat- and gluten-free? And the steamed broccoli and asparagus is **not** wheat- or gluten-free? Come on. Someone's messing with me.)
                        Yeah, I assume if it's in restaurant, it has soy. It's a safe assumption in most chains.
                        Lifting Journal

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It is sad how most restaurants operate these days. My husband used to work for a local non-chain place back in the 80s and they made their own ghee every week and used that for everything. Then they switched to some yellow crap in a can. Bah.
                          5' 9" 47 YO F
                          PB start June 2, 2012
                          Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                          Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs


                          PB Journal

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by June68 View Post
                            It is sad how most restaurants operate these days. My husband used to work for a local non-chain place back in the 80s and they made their own ghee every week and used that for everything. Then they switched to some yellow crap in a can. Bah.
                            The best solution is generally reduce frequency, and move up a price point. Avoid all chains, as well.
                            Lifting Journal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                              I'm always amazed by how unchicken like chicken is at chain restaurants. Really the sit down chains are as scary if not more than fast food places.
                              No doubt. And breakfast can be brutal. We just came back from holidays. The first morning we decided to try the restaurant hooked to the hotel. (We had a kitchenette but, didn't have time to stock up) I ordered the eggs and meat, meat, meat. I swear to god it was like they handed me a 1/2cup of warm canola oil. "Drink up sucker" The eggs, sausages, ham all tasted like veg oil and it coated my throat all the way down. It was disgusting. Surprisingly the bacon was unharmed. Thank god.

                              That day we discovered a farmer's market and bought heritage eggs. Oh...my...God, it was amazing. Fried those babies in some butter with a large side of back bacon and we were laughing all the way to the yummy bank.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X