No announcement yet.

Oh, Red Lobster, how you vex me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if you can go out to a national US restaurant strip mall chain and order a whole wild animal (lobster), you're doing pretty good. Normally in instances like that I just suspend my primalness for the evening.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Next time order the lobstah and steemers with plenty of buttah and you will be sufficiently satisfied and we Mainah's will be very happy you help support our economy! PS: Of course it would be much better if you visited our most awesome state and sample our fare in the most pristine conditions!
      You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
        Yeah, I assume if it's in restaurant, it has soy. It's a safe assumption in most chains.
        The morale of the story is get the menu ahead of time, pore through it...and if you don't know, ask.
        F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

The steamed veg problem at Red Lobster is in the seasonings they put on it. If you ask specifically and make it clear that you have gluten and soy issues, they will steam some plain broccoli for you, or at least they will here. A lot of chains put seasoning blends on their vegetables, so they are not really plain and have all sorts of weird mystery stuff in them.

But really, if I want seafood, it's stupid expensive a lot of the time here anyhow, so I will go to a good local place and get some quality stuff that I know will be served with real butter. As Apex said, you might not be able to go out as often, but in my city, there are some really great local restaurants that specialize in local, organic foods and are really aware of dietary sensitivities. And actually, a lot of the time, they're not really much different in price than some of the chains, and the food is a million times better.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I think that is what annoys me most about chains- you take something simple- a no-brainer- salad with chicken or fish and broccolli and the next thing you know you are sick because you are god knows what. LOL, just grilll a chicken breast and put it on a bed of lettuce that you rinsed with water. Serve with actual olive oil and vinegar. Instead you get some injected chicken product, on a bed of lettuce rinsed with beach, coated in soy oil with a healthy slug of corn syrup.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Has anyone seen the IHOP commercials: "Did you know that all our omelets have a splash of pancake batter in them??"

I mean, I can understand that most restaurants aren't cooking in olive oil or butter... it's bad but I get it. But it's awful that Red Lobster isn't even giving you butter to dip lobster in, and that IHOP is putting pancake batter in the omelets (Even though it's to 'make them better'), because I just don't see that coming (til now).

Comment

At least IHOP is pretty open about it. What scares me is the stuff I don't know I'm eating. Well, at least until later that day.
                Durp.

Comment

Note: if it's a chain restaurant, and the "butter" isn't visibly solid, it's margarine- 90/10. If it is visibly solid, it's 50/50. Never assume something called butter is butter.
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

I went to Logan's Roadhouse on a business trip last week. I ordered a steak salad with no cheese or croutons. I then ask for "oil and vingegar." When they brought it out, I thought it didn't taste right. So I asked. It wasn't olive oil! They brought me soybean oil. I just assumed that "oil and vinegar" was olive oil and either red wine or balasmic vinegar. I won't make that mistake again. I'll make sure to ask for olive oil. They didn't have any, btw. Cheap bastards.

In my pre-primal days, I would occasionally go "low carb" for a week or two. It was easy to eat out when all I was worried about was sugar and not toxins or inflammation. It's amazing how low quality most food is when you really look into it.

Comment

ha ha this is a good thread. I hate restaurants. You are all confirming my belief that all restaurants except maybe the most expensive ones that i could never afford anyway use total crap oils and contaminate all of their cheap sysco food with it.

Comment

What's ridiculous is that I can list several local restaurants off the top of my head that serve local (and in many cases organic) food and cost the same or less than many of the chains. I can get a beautiful brunch at a local place that has an amazing celiac menu for less than I would spend to go to Denny's.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

lol, i just googled red lobster locations and the closest one is 95 miles away!

because the real estate footprint required to house these chains is so very large, i'm out of reach of many of them. when i do get out into the burbs and am driving on the highway, often i can smell the rancid cooking oil in the air outside! blech. i can't even imagine the stink inside of them.

chains are all about consistency and much of the product comes from bags and boxes delivered from a central commissary. it ceased being food long before it got to your plate.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                            when i do get out into the burbs and am driving on the highway, often i can smell the rancid cooking oil in the air outside! blech. i can't even imagine the stink inside of them.
                            We have a factory in the north part of Vegas that makes food scents (possibly flavoring too). When you drive past, you suddenly smell beef stew, except... there's just something that isn't quite right. If you smell it for more than 5 seconds, you can smell the chemicals. Just a little creepy.
                            Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                              We have a factory in the north part of Vegas that makes food scents (possibly flavoring too). When you drive past, you suddenly smell beef stew, except... there's just something that isn't quite right. If you smell it for more than 5 seconds, you can smell the chemicals. Just a little creepy.
                              just... ew. my brain is stuttering thinking of what that stuff goes into!
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Has anyone started a resturant thread where people that figure out how to eat at a resturant, chain or not, can post what they ate and how they got the resturant to fix their food the way they wanted?

Kind of a single thread someone can go to if they are fixin to go out and eat with friends or family.
                                Randal
                                AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                                Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                                http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X