Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

I have been looking into The Danny Roddy Weblog - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health and his ideas. Most of the information is only available in his 50 dollar PDF. Basically, it looks like he claims sugar reduces stress and helps the liver clear the body of "old" hormones, whatever that means. Any idea what the hell he's talking about? Is there any truth to this madness?

Can I get a bump? Danny Roddy's blog is confusing as hell. Who knows who this guy's target audience is? His articles are characterized by a terrible writing style, an abundance of "Smart Art," and no layman breakdown. I'm just trying to figure out what he's talking about and if it has any merit.

Comment

I dunno, man. I ate a ton of carrots and I didn't regrow any hair. Like every other health blog, he's probably on to something in some of his posts, but with a fair share of BS mixed in. It wouldn't surprise me if sugar reduces stress; it sure feels nice to eat it in its natural contexts.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

He follows Ray Peat. More info on Paleohacks. Their target audience is not paleo/primal IMO and I think there's probably too much woo mixed in with truths to be of value.
        Last edited by Dracil; 06-29-2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Boy that's one BAD example of a blog. No wonder Chris Kresser opted to drop Danny from his podcast.

Comment

Not sure about the clearing of "old" hormones but cortisol (most prevalent hormone released during stress) is stopped by insulin release. Hence, if you eat sugar, you release insulin and thus blunt any cortisol release. I guess that is what he is talking about.
            People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the blog is bad. I read in a few of the comments that people experienced weight gain. Who would have thought?

Comment

I will literally answer any question anyone has about the info on my unreadable blog.
                www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

I recommend sugar (fruit) and 80-100 g of protein per day for lowering estrogen because:

- The liver deactivates 100% of the estrogen in the body and does so when it is properly "energized" with carbohydrate (glycogen). Low glycogen levels decrease thyroid performance (the liver converts a large amount of T4>T3) and decreases the ability of the liver to remove estrogen.

- A sugar based metabolism decreases the release of fat from tissue (adrenaline and several other hormones release fat as a predominant fuel when we're stressed). Breakdown products from these fats (prostaglandins) activate aromatase (creates new estrogen)

- An ample amount of carbohydrate in the diet restrains the release of adaptive "stress" hormones, predominantly cortisol, which also activates aromatase.

-Danny
                  www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
                    No wonder Chris Kresser opted to drop Danny from his podcast.
                    This is not true.
                    www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Awkward...!
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Hey, I'm not a Peatite...Peataphile...Peatatarian (I think that last one is right) and I don't/haven't read your blog Danny but I think its good to show up and defend whatever it is your promoting as healthy. I've read some of Peat's writings and in general it reads like Kruse on sugar. Sorry, couldn't resist. Peat does actually show his work a bit better (citations). I did however, read the PHD debate you guys had and found it all quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
                          I will literally answer any question anyone has about the info on my unreadable blog.
                          Just wanted to say welcome and glad to have you here.
                          Lifting Journal

Comment

Sugar ups my testosterone, that making sense as long as I have a not tragic pcos situation here. It gets me into pimples, my already non existent bust manages to shrink further and I wake up with somehow stronger bigger muscles but while hair falls from my head and attaches to my body -the thing is not attractive in a girl, at all.

I'll stay sugar free and eat some more vegetables, maybe I'll get to 100 gr a day as long as summer is here and fruit looks great and tastes even better -as long as I get all the sugar loaded tiramisł cream I ate in Rome out of my system
                            No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
                              - A sugar based metabolism decreases the release of fat from tissue (adrenaline and several other hormones release fat as a predominant fuel when we're stressed). Breakdown products from these fats (prostaglandins) activate aromatase (creates new estrogen)
                              Is a person who loses 100 pounds over the course of a year through eating a low carb paleo diet, then, in worse shape hormonally than someone who loses the same amount over a longer period of time while keeping carbs up? Will the former experience any particular problems further down the road? Could this account for a whole lot of paleo/primal folks irrevocably plateauing with 10-20 pounds left to lose?
                              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                              X