Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simonb View Post
    This is useful
    Only part of the puzzle.

This threads like a train wreck.... I just gotta keep peeking.

Comment

• Hmmm, the symptoms in here basically mirror my current state (although not all my symptoms).

I'm getting my blood labs done next week I hope.

Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post

Cortisol is required to breakdown structure (muscles, thymus) for amino acids to convert into glucose when it's deficient. Damage can probably be minimized by consuming lots of protein, but a "higher functioning" of cortisol overtime can weaken the thymus ("immunity central"), suppress the thyroid, lower sex-drive, cause the intestine to become permeable (food allergies, poor digestion), and cause depression.
      Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

• ^See and thats the rub of someone quoting you biochem......then you jump off thinking thats me!!!

Its a version of what they call "medical student syndrome" IMO. You just learned about a particular hormone and how it can WREAK UNTOLD HAVOK! Now your off with some TOE trying to fix this thing you probably never had an issue with in the first place. There are plenty of reasons cortisol is necessary and more than a few ways that if yours is out of balance that it may be addressed. But by all means do the testing if you want..... If I were you I'd hire a functional medicine practitioner to help you discern which tests would actually be of use and what to do with the data when you get it. Otherwise your likely to waste money spinning your wheels or worse.... do further damage to yourself.

Oh, and IMO there really is only one TOE that makes any sense and that is to eat, move, and think in a manner congruent with our heritage. That is basically primal eating, moving congruently with our biomechanics in intensity and frequency, and addressing mental state. That is the closest thing we have to a TOE.... Outside of that there is disease state and non-diseased state. We can strive for optimal, but the tests available to us are either/and not specific or not sensitive enough to prescribe an Rx to achieve "optimal". Its a fallacy! There is no lab test for optimal.... there is only functional and dysfunctional.
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-06-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Of course you do. It hits the dopamine receptors. A junkie always feels great when given the next hit of his drug of choice.
          But I'm not a sugar junkie? The sugar in my diet is fruits, chocolate (which is more fat than sugar), and honey. Okay, maybe twice a month I drink an ice coffee sweetened with syrup or eat cake or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Its a version of what they call "medical student syndrome" IMO. You just learned about a particular hormone and how it can WREAK UNTOLD HAVOK! Now your off with some TOE trying to fix this thing you probably never had an issue with in the first place.
            Yeah, it almost reminds me of insulin!

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              And, Ray Peat has a much better physique than Mark Sisson:

Originally posted by lea View Post
              For my money, I prefer mark to thus guy. He looks healthy and fit, like a swimmer. This guy is trying too hard.
              OMG, I popped in out of morbid curiosity, but this exchange cracked me up... LOL! Thanks for the morning laughs
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I really am interested in hearing about how/why sugar is recommended to reduce stress/estrogen, and not the arguing.

Comment

• Here's the answer according to Danny. Up to you whether you want to believe it, research it further, or dismiss it and move on.

Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
                  I recommend sugar (fruit) and 80-100 g of protein per day for lowering estrogen because:

- The liver deactivates 100% of the estrogen in the body and does so when it is properly "energized" with carbohydrate (glycogen). Low glycogen levels decrease thyroid performance (the liver converts a large amount of T4>T3) and decreases the ability of the liver to remove estrogen.

- A sugar based metabolism decreases the release of fat from tissue (adrenaline and several other hormones release fat as a predominant fuel when we're stressed). Breakdown products from these fats (prostaglandins) activate aromatase (creates new estrogen)

- An ample amount of carbohydrate in the diet restrains the release of adaptive "stress" hormones, predominantly cortisol, which also activates aromatase.

-Danny
                  Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

If I were you I'd hire a functional medicine practitioner to help you discern which tests would actually be of use and what to do with the data when you get it. Otherwise your likely to waste money spinning your wheels or worse.... do further damage to yourself.
                    I'm in the UK, I went to my GP, he passed me on as I'd been a few times in the last 2 years with similar symptoms, I went to a *shock* real doctor, doctor checked my symptoms history and put me forward for full blood spec. Thanks, though.

Maybe the doc is gonna try to sell me snakeoil.

I didn't spend any money on it. We have the NHS here

Comment

• Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
                      Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer
                      Its a version of what they call "medical student syndrome" IMO. You just learned about a particular hormone and how it can WREAK UNTOLD HAVOK! Now your off with some TOE trying to fix this thing you probably never had an issue with in the first place.
                      --
                      Yeah, it almost reminds me of insulin!
                      haha

Comment

• Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                        I really am interested in hearing about how/why sugar is recommended to reduce stress/estrogen, and not the arguing.
                        Go back to page 1 and read the first few responses. The rest is just giberish. Well, as the saying goes garbage in garbage out. Your not gonna make sense of a nonsense premise no matter how hard you try.
                        Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by simonb View Post
                          I'm in the UK, I went to my GP, he passed me on as I'd been a few times in the last 2 years with similar symptoms, I went to a *shock* real doctor, doctor checked my symptoms history and put me forward for full blood spec. Thanks, though.

Maybe the doc is gonna try to sell me snakeoil.

I didn't spend any money on it. We have the NHS here
                          I dunno what a "real" doctor is??? I simply stated you needed aid outside of a degree in google. Someone with experience and yes an understanding of how to systematically examine and care for the human body. Functional medicine can actually be practiced by many varieties of health practitioners (MD, DC, DO... ect.). Hell Chris Kresser is an Acupuncturist and practices functional medicine. Perhaps this can explain better than I .... Institute for Functional Medicine > What is Functional Medicine?

Actually many docs will try to sell you snakeoil in the more modern acceptable pill form. Personally I'd spend money to find the right provider instead of accepting free service from the wrong one, but that is just my preference.
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-07-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Go back to page 1 and read the first few responses. The rest is just giberish. Well, as the saying goes garbage in garbage out. Your not gonna make sense of a nonsense premise no matter how hard you try.
                            Gibberish aside, I feel like there is some truth to sugar reducing stress. When I was eating LC (less than 100g) up to until a few months ago, I would never have considered this, but the extreme craving for something sweet during stress changed my mind. I would fight the craving w/ high protein and high fat foods, only to get indigestion. About 15-20g of sugar or honey, like in coffee, is enough to get rid of that craving and to feel balanced and, well, not stressed.

I'm interested in this topic especially w/ regards to women. Stress has huge effect on menstrual cycles and fertility, and I would like to hear other women's experience (if any exists) on sugar reducing stress/cortisol. Maybe I should add I'm interested in this topic with regards to women in their childbearing years.

Comment

• Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                              Gibberish aside, I feel like there is some truth to sugar reducing stress. When I was eating LC (less than 100g) up to until a few months ago, I would never have considered this, but the extreme craving for something sweet during stress changed my mind. I would fight the craving w/ high protein and high fat foods, only to get indigestion. About 15-20g of sugar or honey, like in coffee, is enough to get rid of that craving and to feel balanced and, well, not stressed.

I'm interested in this topic especially w/ regards to women. Stress has huge effect on menstrual cycles and fertility, and I would like to hear other women's experience (if any exists) on sugar reducing stress/cortisol. Maybe I should add I'm interested in this topic with regards to women in their childbearing years.
                              I don't know about cortisol, fertility and whatnot, because I haven't had any of these tested or tried. All I can tell you that my mood is definitely elevated since I added extra sugar in my diet. I have been doing this for over a month now and see huge difference in that regard, even with the regular everyday life 'headaches' that occur every once in a while.
                              Contrary of what most people probably are thinking, I don't really consume a boat load of it either. About 4 tea spoons raw sugar, 3 to 4 pieces of fruit, 2 Tb. spoons maple syrup, a bit of chocolate and that's about it on a typical day. Freshly squeezed orange juice occasionally, and I very rarely after an intense exercise session I have coke made with sugar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                                I don't know about cortisol, fertility and whatnot, because I haven't had any of these tested or tried. All I can tell you that my mood is definitely elevated since I added extra sugar in my diet. I have been doing this for over a month now and see huge difference in that regard, even with the regular everyday life 'headaches' that occur every once in a while.
                                Contrary of what most people probably are thinking, I don't really consume a boat load of it either. About 4 tea spoons raw sugar, 3 to 4 pieces of fruit, 2 Tb. spoons maple syrup, a bit of chocolate and that's about it on a typical day. Freshly squeezed orange juice occasionally, and I very rarely after an intense exercise session I have coke made with sugar.
                                Are you sure???

Duh duh dummmmmmmm (that was theatrical music)

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/2...ght-be-a-myth/

Comment

Working...
                                X