Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
    Dr. Atkins and Ray Peat and Jack Kruse cite a lot of research, are they all correct?
    Dr. Atkins had some good ideas and was way ahead of his time in bucking the fat=evil paradigm. Not every detail of his plan was perfect, no. The foundation still operated in his name today in conjunction with John's Hopkins hospital, however, is a great source of information and ongoing research into epilepsy. So, yes, I trust that there is good science to back that up.

Jack Kruse and Ray Peat have something in common in that neither can write clearly. They both do these long rambling tomes which sometimes wander by some very interesting things. But what was the point? They don't need "whisperers" they need editors.

I also see both Kruse and Peat as taking a few good basic ideas which are not that far away from Primal and then dressing it all up in a bunch of silly folderol in order to carve out a brand name for themselves. So sure, Peat can cite something saying liver is good for you. Yay! and Kruse can cite something saying that fewer bigger meals are better than snacking. Kruse is not getting me in an ice bath however, nor do I intend to be taking my temperature every five minutes and bragging about my racing heart rate, a la Peat.

Comment

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
      I think it's a guideline for fat people, not most people. I think mark's target audience is overweight, middle-aged women who don't exercise. Judging by the prevalence or them on this forum and the fact that most diet books, diet pills, etc are purchased by that demographic. The primal blueprint is mark's take on a paleo diet, catered towards that demographic. Hormonal issues. Metabolic issues. A lifetime of damage, etc. That is why his carb curve makes sense to that population
      Well, of course that is his target demographic. Gorgeous studs such as yourself don't need a diet book.

Comment

• removing all above-ground vegetables
        Is this a PEat thing too? That's weird.
        Gorgeous studs such as yourself don't need a diet book.
        Hee! But yeah, people who are looking for weight loss are generally overweight. That's not exactly news... Women have more hormonal challenges than men as far as weight loss is concerned.

You may not be able to write a diet book that works equally well for skinny 17 y/o boys and overweight 50ish women, but Mark has done a pretty good job giving advice that is flexible enough to work for a wide variety of people. If you need to/want to throw out the carb curve have at it. Nothing wrong with everybody being cafeteria primal
        Last edited by lea; 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Well, of course that is his target demographic. Gorgeous studs such as yourself don't need a diet book.
          Awe shucks... you sweet talker you

I didn't come across paleo because I wanted to lose weight. I found it because I wanted to optimize my health and help to safeguard against some heart disease that seems to run in my pasta guzzling italian family. Although I'm sure it's dietary based and not genetic.

I didn't mean that in any sort of insulting way. I mean that because of that, his recommendations aren't necessarily the best for people who don't fit that demographic. And because of that, they need to be taken with a grain of salt by the average person coming to these forums. That being said, if every pb rookie aimed for the 150g of carbs a day, I'm sure they would still have fantastic results.
          Last edited by not on the rug; 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• So is Mark selling his sex appeal to that overweight women demographic? Lol. I'm overweight but Primal only interests in me in the overall health benefits of some of its aspects. I never saw it as a weight-loss plan, even though that's what it's geared towards, apparently. My interest in Peat stems from my hormonal issues that simply eating Primal doesn't correct.
            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by j3nn View Post
              So is Mark selling his sex appeal to that overweight women demographic? Lol. I'm overweight but Primal only interests in me in the overall health benefits of some of its aspects. I never saw it as a weight-loss plan, even though that's what it's geared towards, apparently. My interest in Peat stems from my hormonal issues that simply eating Primal doesn't correct.
              Well, I guess one thing we can agree on is that Mark looks better in swim trunks than Ray.

A lot of people have had their hormonal issues corrected by eating Primal. If it didn't work for you, by all means, research other options. Personally I had a wrecked post chemo thyroid when I came to Primal which is now completely healed.

Comment

Well, I guess one thing we can agree on is that Mark looks better in swim trunks than Ray.

A lot of people have had their hormonal issues corrected by eating Primal. If it didn't work for you, by all means, research other options. Personally I had a wrecked post chemo thyroid when I came to Primal which is now completely healed.
                Unfortunately my problems require deeper medical intervention than just diet modification alone. I am focusing on getting adequate nutrition because that's never a bad idea. Types and quality of food matter, but can only go so far sometimes. Peat's food suggestions all happen to be rich in nutrients and serve specific purposes. I like it, but not completely. Just mostly.

The thing is, Peat's recommended foods ARE almost all Primal. So what's the issue here? Because he says a Mexican coke and corn tortillas cooked in coconut oil are ok now and then? Because he says eat fruit? So does Primal. We're arguing oranges vs. BIGGER oranges here, not apples vs.oranges.
                Last edited by j3nn; 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• The hormonal aspect of getting 50% of one's calories from dairy does bother me. That's a lot of IGF-1. Perhaps as someone looking to sort out your hormonal issues, you might reconsider this as well.

There is also a difference between having something as an 80/20 treat occasionally and having it as a staple. Refined sugar is not a whole food and should not be a dietary staple. It is nothing but empty calories. If you are looking for nutrient density, that's not it.

Whole fruit, coconut oil, bone broths, liver, gelatin, etc. all are places of overlap. Personally, I diverge from most Primals in agreeing that masses of green veggies are over-rated. In that I agree more with Peat.

Comment

• I don't take his dairy recommendations that seriously, too general for me. I'm currently avoiding all dairy right now to see how I do. I wouldn't like a diet of half dairy anyway. I mean I love it but I like other stuff, too.

Comment

• Some good reasons to limit sugar. This short film is fascinating and worth a few minutes of your time...

Catalyst: Ancient Teeth - ABC TV Science
                      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Put away your six shooter for second and hear me out then.

When someone is eating a whole foods diet that just happens to contain a larger volume of carb heavy foods because they feel better that way, there is nothing "Un-Primal" about it. Say your diet or YB's. More fruit and tubers. More dairy. Whatever floats yer boat. All good healthy whole foods. I'm happy that you have found what makes you happy. As long as you are equally respectful of my dietary choices, we all get along fine.

When someone is mainlining sugar, coffee, drugs, booze, cigs, candy, sodas, etc. and claiming the mantle of health advisor, that is when I object.

I really don't think Dr. Peat or anybody who is a medical doctor would condone such things either. At least I hope he wouldn't but then his writings are so vague, that if someone like Matt Stone who likes to portray himself as the anti-diet-diet guy wants to say that Dr. Peat said junk food is good for you, he could probably find a way to do it.
                        I don't drink booze, or eat candy. Everything has a context, and I'm perfectly healthy. I don't tell other people to act like me, so who cares what I do? I give advice within a specific context, and believe me, it never tells people to do drugs, drink booze, smoke cigs, "mainline" sugar, eat candy, or drink mexican coke. Even if I may not find a problem with many of those things, especially in a healthy person.

Here is what I ate today, and try to find out if it fits your repeated attempts at belittling Peat by what someone who is not Peat does. Should I blame a guy eating a primal diet if he beats someone to death? No, it's a diet, and it's irrelevant. Anyway, to the point:

Lamb bowl with rice and gluten free san-j soy sauce
                        4oz of beef liver
                        4oz of brie cheese
                        16oz cottage cheese
                        6oz of dates
                        8oz of oj
                        32g of gelatin protein
                        1tsp of honey, 10tsp of sugar in 32oz coffee with 4 tsp of half & half
                        3oz of apple sauce

What I did:

Heavy lifting in a warehouse, 10 mile bike ride 3 miles uphill, and played in the park. Am I wheezing and dying? Don't think so. My diet seems to be giving me boundless energy, and on top of that, I have seamless flowing thoughts, and my reaction time to visual or auditory stimuli has improved by about 150ms.
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

• And, Ray Peat has a much better physique than Mark Sisson:

He asked if Mark Sisson even lifted. I look far better in skinny jeans and a skirt than Mark Sisson too.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• When I'm really stressed I crave sugar and instantly feel better when I have some.

Comment

• 10 teaspoons of sugar plus one of honey in one coffee? Really? Yikes. Coffee syrup. Blech.

Otherwise your diet as written there is whole foods and perfectly Primal. It's not what you have repeatedly bragged about around here however. Maybe you like to exaggerate for the shock value or attention or whatever, but you and a few others have given Peat a bad reputation with your "In your face, suckas! I eat pizza, ice cream, gummy bears and coke, SO THERE!" attitude. Plus you have talked about drunken escapades, doing drugs and 30 cups of coffee a day. Plus trying to convince everyone that smoking is healthy.

Cute photoshop pic. Mark wouldn't fit in skinny jeans because he has leg muscles. Nice ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                                I found it because I wanted to optimize my health and help to safeguard against some heart disease that seems to run in my pasta guzzling italian family. Although I'm sure it's dietary based and not genetic.
                                What data are you tracking to know you are optimizing your health?
                                Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

Working...
                                X