Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simonb View Post
    As a background, Primal/Paleo didn't work for me
    impossible. your misinterpretation of paleo is what didn't work for you. eliminating grains, seed/vegetable oils, and processed foods "works" for everyone. if you chose to low carb it, or not eat a balanced diet, or arbitrarily limit intake of certain foods/macros, etc, then that was the cause of your failure. paleo "works" for everyone.

now...that is all cleared up.

btw, i'm not a for or anti peat guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
      impossible. your misinterpretation of paleo is what didn't work for you. eliminating grains, seed/vegetable oils, and processed foods "works" for everyone. if you chose to low carb it, or not eat a balanced diet, or arbitrarily limit intake of certain foods/macros, etc, then that was the cause of your failure. paleo "works" for everyone.

btw, i'm not a for or anti peat guy.
      I agree - It's not Paleo that's at fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by lea View Post
        Dude, the people coming in here promoting peat keep posting keys to his diet with OJ listed as the number one most important fruit (including writings from Peat about why he loves OJ) and Dairy listed as half the calories saying they chug milk. It's not like this milk and OJ thing are coming from nowhere! And coke was specifically listed as a 'sugar' at the top of one of the charts. I know some of you aren't actually doing that stuff (like YogaBare) but as a person who is getting Peat entirely from this thread, this is what I'm seeing. The rest sounds pretty primal, so I think people are naturally going to talk about the differences.

I don't care if people want to eat like this, different strokes and all that, but this is what many people are saying is 'Peat' so if people counter it or say they don't like Peat because of that (or that weird iron thing) it's because that's what people are telling us that Peat is all about. They are also popping up to say people are just jealous they can't mainline sugar, which may or may not be a joke I haven't been here long enough to know everyone's personality.
        Then this thread should be kept to a discussion of what people ARE doing and how it's affecting them.

Peat DOES say in his writings that OJ and Milk has, and does, work for him. He doesn't prescribe it.

He advises measuring certain things that Paleo / Primal ignores, and trying to move them to an optimal range.
        Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          The rest of what you say in this post would suggest otherwise.
          No, I met a nutritionist who said she could possibly explain some of the symptoms I have had, and pointed me towards Peat after a free consultation and explanation, and diet plan. It seems to fit exactly with my physiology, blood tests etc, so I'm actually giving it a go and will report how it works. So far (around 1 month) I've made some improvements in pulse and body temperatures, and in general mood and sleep quality.

I've got no attachment to Peat, this thread has been useful - I read every post in the last 3 days, but only about 20% of posts have been useful, to me that vast majority of Danny's were and a few other posts were, the rest has been arguments and Bro-science from the people who want to fight.
          Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
            I agree - It's not Paleo that's at fault.
            What was, then? My diet was "perfect" from a Primal / Paleo perspective, really the only advice I had was to cut carbs to under 50 per day, from around 100-150.

Comment

What was, then? My diet was "perfect" from a Primal / Paleo perspective, really the only advice I had was to cut carbs to under 50 per day, from around 100-150.
              well.. sounds like you got bad advice. there is no reason for 99% of people to eat that few carbs. no wonder you felt horrible

Comment

impossible. .. paleo "works" for everyone.

I think the only possible response to this is .... LOL.

Comment

I think the only possible response to this is .... LOL.
                  you said it yourself. you were eating low carb paleo. under 50 grams of carbs. and working out. no wonder you felt like shit. for 99% of people, there is no reason to eat low carb. there is no basic tenet of paleo that makes it low carb. somebody gave you bad advice and you followed it. you're an idiot. lol

now that you aren't paleo anymore, i'm sure you're thoroughly enjoying all that wheat, all of those seed oils, and all the other processed foods, right?

Comment

well.. sounds like you got bad advice. there is no reason for 99% of people to eat that few carbs. no wonder you felt horrible
                    it takes about 2.5-3kg of vegetables (including sweet potato) per day to get 150g of carbs. Obviously this is only taking into account vegetables and no other source, but it's an indicator of how little carbs vegetables actually have in them by weight.

I would guess a lot of people get in less than this if attempting Paleo/Primal, particularly if they have been told / think they have "lactose intolerance" or "fructose malabsorption".

Comment

you said it yourself. you were eating low carb paleo. under 50 grams of carbs. and working out. no wonder you felt like shit. for 99% of people, there is no reason to eat low carb. there is no basic tenet of paleo that makes it low carb. somebody gave you bad advice and you followed it. you're an idiot. lol
                      You're mis-quoting Normally I was close to 150g, which people said was too high. I never went to 50, it didn't make sense to me. With minimal fruit and mainly vege's, you'd be hard-pressed to get more than 150g of carb in per day. I worked out 3 times per week, and with lower volume and intensity than I had done previously. Now I understand how even that was too much of a stress.

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                      now that you aren't paleo anymore, i'm sure you're thoroughly enjoying all that wheat, all of those seed oils, and all the other processed foods, right?
                      Not sure what your point is here.

Again out of context. I don't consider myself anything, I'm adding new information, and testing it. Peat is fully against Wheat, seed oils and processed food, and you know that.

Today I'll get around 450g of carbs in, and doing it for a purpose which I can track today.

I'm not saying "Paleo makes you sick", I'm saying having bought books, followed recipe and diet plans of well-know Primal and Paleo authors, I still continued all the symptoms that I want to get rid of. That is all. I think you're so blinded by this debate you can't even read what people are writing. I'll re-post another response I made elsewhere.

Comment

it takes about 2.5-3kg of vegetables (including sweet potato) per day to get 150g of carbs. Obviously this is only taking into account vegetables and no other source, but it's an indicator of how little carbs vegetables actually have in them by weight.

I would guess a lot of people get in less than this if attempting Paleo/Primal, particularly if they have been told / think they have "lactose intolerance" or "fructose malabsorption".
                        I think that is a basic misunderstanding. and I think people who are highly active might need to go make a bit of an attempt to get over 200g when they need it. but things like white rice, fruit, honey, maple syrup, dairy, etc are all excellent carb sources. personally, I have focused more on eliminating the poisons than anything else. I didn't come here with weight to lose, i'm extremely active (sports, mountain biking, kayaking, etc) and I lift heavy too. so i'm not looking to restrict any macros, just trying to be the healthiest I can be

Comment

• @not on the rug

"like I said, Woo peed on the rug"

Originally posted by simonb View Post
                          In my eyes, Peat is most about affecting Hormones (measurable) and Body Temp and Pulse (measurable), NOT about what you must eat. There are differences which initially don't make sense to people schooled on Paleo/Primal.

But there is ALSO a MASSIVE similarity/overlap between Paleo/Primal and Peat's stuff. I think people should spend time in understanding the differences, and testing them if they need it. That's all. The beauty of the approach is that it gives you measurable elements, not just weight/body fat % and how you feel.

The 20% difference may just be the most essential part for people who have certain issues.

From reading Peat's article about Lactate, I can now drink Milk for the first time in 3 years. All it took was to slowly introduce a small amount each day (1/2 a cup with 2 meals), and slowly taper it up, and hey presto, my supposed Lactose intolerance that I was "diagnosed" with no longer exists after 2-3 weeks!

Obviously no one diet works for everyone. There are definitely things people can learn from Peat's writing and research, which may make a massive difference to your life.

Tweak and track!

Don't be scared of fructose and milk; eat to increase body temps and pulse (if low); eat late at night with "sugar" (frustose) to offset stress hormones while you sleep; use excess salt; if waking at 4am, eat/drink sugar and salt; check your hormones, try to move them into a more optimal range with diet and lifestyle; understand exercise can affect you negatively in the long term if you overdo it

It's hardly saying drink the blood of a young child.

I also couldn't understand why hitting the gym would make me feel great, but that I was then often injured and really, chronically tired. Peat's stuff has allowed me to understand why - it's related to hormones, and understanding exercise as a stressor.

I see Peat as Primal / Paleo with a 20% difference, but people don't seem to want to learn and test whether that difference will improve their situations.

If you don't need it, cool. Enjoy Paleo/Primal, but allow other people to write about it and test it.

But remember it's there if you don't feel optimal at some stage in the future. For a long time I ignored poor digestion, freezing hands and feet, constant sore throats, poor sleep, waking at 4am, and I ignored them because I was "eating like a caveman" and losing weight while getting more ripped at the gym.

Comment

You're mis-quoting Normally I was close to 150g, which people said was too high.
                            what people?

you said earlier that paleo "didn't work for you." but you were admittedly limiting your carbs. now that you eat more carbs, you're feeling better. are you still eating paleo? where did you get the misinformation that required you to eat low-carb paleo?

i'm not blinded by anything. these are things that you wrote. just trying to figure out what you mean

Comment

• think they have "lactose intolerance" or "fructose malabsorption".
                              I'm not sure who you're blaming for that. Primal allows both dairy and fruit. I eat both most days. I'm a cheeseaholic, and generally have a little cream in my coffee.

Some people are lactose intolerant. Maybe what, half the world?

Comment

there is no basic tenet of paleo that makes it low carb.
                                Not paleo in general, but primal is absolutely a low carb diet. Mark Sisson's brand is all about lowering insulin (low carb) and becoming a "fat burning beast". He loves the ketones (low carb) and recommends avoiding starch and sugary fruit unless you're an athlete. In the primal food pyramid, fruits are a "moderation" food while added fats are not. Which part of this isn't low carb? I see very little difference between this and the Atkins diet.

Also, Simon mentioned he was having issues with gas and bloating, which I'm positive is the true source of his failure on primal, since this diet doesn't account in the least for people with gut issues who are going to suffer greatly eating a mountain of fibrous vegetables at every meal.

Comment

Working...
                                X