Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
    I think the idea is that the harmful effects of glucose alone are neutralized when combined with fructose. Also, that fructose can restore or support efficient energy production if inhibited (i.e., glucose to carbon dioxide instead of glucose to lactic acid).
    Just to clarify, Lactic acid or lactate production is a normal part of healthy metabolism, RBC's must produce lactate as they do not contain mitochondria, and muscles, even at rest produce some lactate. Some research has suggested that lactate is prefered ahead of glucose by both heart and brain, so there is much more to lactate than muscle soreness after a big workout.
    It appears that the body produces lactate specifically as part of it's normal operation and is not just an unwanted byproduct.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post

In the past few weeks I've added a glandular supplement (it includes raw glandular extracts of thyroid, adrenals, pituitary) and niacinamide. I'm still playing around with the dosage, but from the first day I got such a huge boost in energy and mood, I really felt invincible. Plus, it gave me a big increase in body temperature so that I'm almost a normal warm-blooded person again. I'm not sure if it's due to either the glandulars or the niacinamide or if it's from both working synergistically, but I feel like a million bucks...hard to believe such a huge improvement could come from such a basic, cheap supplement.
      BestBetter-
      That's very interesting! What is the brand and name of the glandular supplement you are taking? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by brookesam View Post
        BestBetter-
        That's very interesting! What is the brand and name of the glandular supplement you are taking? Thanks!
        I ordered it from iHerb. The brand name is Natural Sources and it's called 'Raw Thyroid'. It contains thyroid tissue, adrenal tissue, pituitary tissue, thymus tissue, and spleen tissue. I think it was about $15 or less for 60 caps.

Comment

• It could be the niacinamide as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omni View Post
            Just to clarify, Lactic acid or lactate production is a normal part of healthy metabolism, RBC's must produce lactate as they do not contain mitochondria, and muscles, even at rest produce some lactate. Some research has suggested that lactate is prefered ahead of glucose by both heart and brain, so there is much more to lactate than muscle soreness after a big workout.
            It appears that the body produces lactate specifically as part of it's normal operation and is not just an unwanted byproduct.
            Lactic acid and carbon dioxide have opposing effects

It's associated with calcium uptake, nitric oxide production, and contributes to cell death.

It is often referred to "energy," but requires hepatic glycogen to be converted back into glucose.

Otto Warburg found that the production of lactic acid in the face of oxygen was an essential feature of all cancers. He referred to this as a "respiratory defect" (the failure of oxygen to suppress the formation lactic acid).

Moreover, diabetes, stress, and general aging involve an increase in lactic acid production and the accumulation of metabolic (mitochondrial) damage.
            www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• So, Danny, do you recommend that someone who has adrenal issues eat more fruit? If I'm not mistaken, most of the recommendations I've seen call for limiting or excluding it. I probably average 1-2 servings a day. I have noted several times that I have horrible adrenal symptoms, particularly orthostatic hypotension, when I go really low carb and it doesn't get better. It's the carb flu from hell. I have been greatly discouraged in the past when I was eating a super clean fairly low carb diet and felt horrible for months, much worse than when I was eating some crappy carbs along with my healthy stuff...
              True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
              The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

It's associated with calcium uptake, nitric oxide production, and contributes to cell death.

It is often referred to "energy," but requires hepatic glycogen to be converted back into glucose.

Otto Warburg found that the production of lactic acid in the face of oxygen was an essential feature of all cancers. He referred to this as a "respiratory defect" (the failure of oxygen to suppress the formation lactic acid).

Moreover, diabetes, stress, and general aging involve an increase in lactic acid production and the accumulation of metabolic (mitochondrial) damage.
                But this is just more reductionistic thought, zoning in on one hormone or metabolite without context. It does nothing to define the toxic load at which you believe lactic acid to be detrimental or the circumstances. Without such parameters its still all hypothesis that isn't even testable. Do you believe exercise is to be avoided at all cost due to lactic acid build up and subsequent use as an energy source? And to the last correlation does not equal causation.

Comment

• Originally posted by TornadoGirl View Post
                  So, Danny, do you recommend that someone who has adrenal issues eat more fruit? If I'm not mistaken, most of the recommendations I've seen call for limiting or excluding it. I probably average 1-2 servings a day. I have noted several times that I have horrible adrenal symptoms, particularly orthostatic hypotension, when I go really low carb and it doesn't get better. It's the carb flu from hell. I have been greatly discouraged in the past when I was eating a super clean fairly low carb diet and felt horrible for months, much worse than when I was eating some crappy carbs along with my healthy stuff...
                  I think self-diagnostics like measuring your pulse and body temperature is a good start.

From there, experimenting with "pro-thyroid" foods like fruit juices, gelatin, salt, eggs (specifically the yolk), beef liver, and shellfish is probably warranted.
                  www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Yes, maybe, but it is still a natural part of our metabolic process,

We don't want to just jump in and start demonising lactate because of it's presence in some individuals when they are ill, it is present in healthy individuals as well,
                    Going down that rocky road, we end up in the same place as the cholesterol & saturated fat myth, or the exaggerated demonising of glucose & fructose, lactate is just the same as those others, it is a part of our natural process.
                    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      But this is just more reductionistic thought, zoning in on one hormone or metabolite without context. It does nothing to define the toxic load at which you believe lactic acid to be detrimental or the circumstances. Without such parameters its still all hypothesis that isn't even testable. Do you believe exercise is to be avoided at all cost due to lactic acid build up and subsequent use as an energy source? And to the last correlation does not equal causation.
                      I've read this three times and I still can't figure out what you're trying to say.
                      www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Yes, maybe, but it is still a natural part of our metabolic process,

We don't want to just jump in and start demonising lactate because of it's presence in some individuals when they are ill, it is present in healthy individuals as well,
                        Going down that rocky road, we end up in the same place as the cholesterol & saturated fat myth, or the exaggerated demonising of glucose & fructose, lactate is just the same as those others, it is a part of our natural process.
                        It's not a slippery slope when you view problems as a disorder of energy metabolism.

Excess lactate in the blood is biologically significant and is suggestive of the "stress metabolism."
                        www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

It's not a slippery slope when you view problems as a disorder of energy metabolism.

Excess lactate in the blood is biologically significant and is suggestive of the "stress metabolism."
                          What amount is excess? Is this like having excessively high glucose in your blood too?
                          Glucose enters RBC's, they draw out some energy and release Lactate into the blood, then this Lactate is picked up in other organs (brain, heart etc) and used preferentially ahead of glucose.

If you're on the lactate is poison path, most researchers are heading the other way now.

Give people the whole story, not just a one sided biased view, that's what screws people up the sensationalist headline.

Comment

I've read this three times and I still can't figure out what you're trying to say.
                            In essence it's in agreement with what Omni wrote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Ok, but to explain it:

But this is just more reductionistic thought, zoning in on one hormone or metabolite without context. - I think this is self evident...but to elaborate different circumstances equals different normal levels of lactic acid.

It does nothing to define the toxic load at which you believe lactic acid to be detrimental or the circumstances. Without such parameters its still all hypothesis that isn't even testable. - It would help if you define if you are talking about recognized pathologically raised lactic acid or some ideology that lactic acid is to be avoided at all cost.

Without such parameters its still all hypothesis that isn't even testable. - Of course this is just stating the obvious. If you feel that lactic acid is dangerous in some manner other than the know pathological sense it needs further defining.

Do you believe exercise is to be avoided at all cost due to lactic acid build up and subsequent use as an energy source? - Just a question. I believe that I've seen Peat proponents rail against fermented foods because they contain lactic acid. I was wondering if this fear extended to exercise as well.

And to the last correlation does not equal causation. - When I say "to the last" I'm referring to the last of your statement "Moreover, diabetes, stress, and general aging involve an increase in lactic acid production and the accumulation of metabolic (mitochondrial) damage."

Comment

What amount is excess? Is this like having excessively high glucose in your blood too?
                                Glucose enters RBC's, they draw out some energy and release Lactate into the blood, then this Lactate is picked up in other organs (brain, heart etc) and used preferentially ahead of glucose.

If you're on the lactate is poison path, most researchers are heading the other way now.

Give people the whole story, not just a one sided biased view, that's what screws people up the sensationalist headline.
                                "Poison path"? What?

I'm talking about lactic acid and its relation with oxidative metabolism. It's produced when something interferes with normal energy metabolism, and then inhibits it further.

Hyperventilation is characterized by an excess of lactic acid, which displaces carbon dioxide. Buteyko’s breathing exercises, which basically involve breathing less, work by increasing CO2.

Danish physiologist Christian Bohr found that carbon dioxide helps separate oxygen from hemoglobin in the blood allowing cells, tissues, and organs to better absorb oxygen ("Bohr effect). Cells in a low oxygen environment begin to swell and take up water, sodium and calcium, while losing potassium and magnesium.

Those that think lactic acid is 'useful energy' aren't considering its systemic effects on the entire organism, and generally, what its increased production even means.
                                www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X