Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Djzander View Post
    Danny, ( or others familiar with peats work) what are your
    thoughts on using powdered Gatorade as a sugar/ salt source?
    I do a great deal of outdoor sports in the summer heat where I sweat
    a great deal. If my goals are general health and fat loss would this hinder my efforts?
    You should read Tim Noakes' book "Waterlogged" - about (over)hydration in sport - Waterlogged - Timothy Noakes
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I've only read half of the thread.
      Danny, an important question for me -
      Few weeks ago, I ate many fruits at once
      Later on the day, my face and lips felt like burning, it woke me up from sleep
      Next day I've noticed acne.
      You're saying that it is PUFA's fault,
      Basically as long as I don't eat eggs and nuts I can eat all the fruits I want?
      Is the protocol for clear skin, or overcoming inflammation, is ditching all sources of O6, even whole foods like eggs, completely?
      Last edited by Gilleh; 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM.
      Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
        I've only read half of the thread.
        Danny, an important question for me -
        Few weeks ago, I ate many fruits at once
        Later on the day, my face and lips felt like burning, it woke me up from sleep
        Next day I've noticed acne.
        You're saying that it is PUFA's fault,
        Basically as long as I don't eat eggs and nuts I can eat all the fruits I want?
        Is the protocol for clear skin, or overcoming inflammation, is ditching all sources of O6, even whole foods like eggs, completely?
        All you ate was fruit? Burning/breakouts sounds more like you're allergic to the fruit that you ate. What fruit did you eat? Pineapple makes my friend itch all over. I'm guessing from the bromelain.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          All you ate was fruit? Burning/breakouts sounds more like you're allergic to the fruit that you ate. What fruit did you eat? Pineapple makes my friend itch all over. I'm guessing from the bromelain.
          It was nectarines, apples and peaches.
          Lot of nectarines.

Comment

• My question remains though.
            For clearing inflammation completely, should I ditch eggs and nuts completely?
            I've thought the culprit is sugar, but after reading this thread I'm beginning to tihnk it's just PUFA that triggers it
            When shifting to primal I thought as long as I'm eating a whole food, it's ok
            Am I wrong?
            I gotta say thay my skin got alot better since I went primal, but it's not perfect.
            Last edited by Gilleh; 07-12-2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post

"Cold thermogenesis" isn't the answer for anyone.
              I'm not interested in a cold thermogenesis debate, i understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm wondering if you can explain this comment, since it's done a world of good for me and many other people.

Comment

• Originally posted by bopfer View Post
                Didn't work for me and many people I know. And I stuck to it for a long time thinking "Any day now, I will be fat adapted". BS. There's no such thing. Not in today's world at least. Running on fat is stressful. That on top of our modern, stressful life is a recipe for disaster.
                As a former grazer, I actually find being able to go a long time without having to eat as being anything but stressful. It is actually quite liberating. My friends who have known me for years are amazed how I don't get "hangry" any more. I don't know that I'm fully fad adapted, but I no longer use food as excuse for bad behavior....not to mention my dizziness and sweats have stopped altogether.
                Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

• Originally posted by JennGlob View Post
                  As a former grazer, I actually find being able to go a long time without having to eat as being anything but stressful. It is actually quite liberating. My friends who have known me for years are amazed how I don't get "hangry" any more. I don't know that I'm fully fad adapted, but I no longer use food as excuse for bad behavior....not to mention my dizziness and sweats have stopped altogether.
                  I don't mean stressful in the emotional sense. I mean stressful to your cells and metabolism. Meaning that over the years the stress will add up and lead to other issues. The body runs on glucose (from sugar). Anything else is an adaptation to keep you alive short term. But, you won't thrive long term.
                  Last edited by bopfer; 07-12-2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bopfer View Post
                    I don't mean stressful in the emotional sense. I mean stressful to your cells and metabolism. Meaning that over the years the stress will add up and lead to other issues. The body runs on glucose (from sugar). Anything else is an adaptation to keep you alive short term. But, you won't thrive long term.
                    I disagree with your assessment completely. Running on fat is not stressful in the physiological or metabolic sense either. This is utter bull.

If you wanna run on sugar go ahead, but don't attempt to spread such nonsense.
                    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-12-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• The ability to burn energy in the form in which we store it is an adaptation to keep you alive short-term? I can't see how that makes any sense.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I have been through most of this thread, and some stuff on Dean Roddy's site and Peat's as well. It intrigues me a bit since I think that thyroid might be the 1 thing that isn't working fantastically for me on Primal/PHD. The idea that supplanting starch with fructose might better support the thyroid seems worth a bit of investigation.

I have to say, though, it really doesn't pass the 'sniff test' for me, and the last few posts are a succinct start on why - the big 'epiphany' for me with Primal was seeing an extremely elegant description of how human metabolism worked, shaped by evolution. The fact that we can store only a very minimal amount of carbs but a great amount of fat seems to point clearly to an expectation that we'd run off fat as the base of our metabolism - the only other rational conclusion is that carbs were ubiquitously available and meal timing/frequency were entirely predictable; this seems absurd on it's face. If metabolizing stored fat were 'stressful' to the point of compromising health, one has to think that an adaptation towards higher glycogen storage would have become dominant. Or, equivalently, an alternate fat metabolic pathway that is less stressful would have been selected.

This type of argument doesn't 'prove' anything, but certainly makes it extremely difficult to accept something like 'burning fat is stressful' without substantial supporting evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwkdnvr View Post
                          I have been through most of this thread, and some stuff on Dean Roddy's site and Peat's as well. It intrigues me a bit since I think that thyroid might be the 1 thing that isn't working fantastically for me on Primal/PHD. The idea that supplanting starch with fructose might better support the thyroid seems worth a bit of investigation.

I have to say, though, it really doesn't pass the 'sniff test' for me, and the last few posts are a succinct start on why - the big 'epiphany' for me with Primal was seeing an extremely elegant description of how human metabolism worked, shaped by evolution. The fact that we can store only a very minimal amount of carbs but a great amount of fat seems to point clearly to an expectation that we'd run off fat as the base of our metabolism - the only other rational conclusion is that carbs were ubiquitously available and meal timing/frequency were entirely predictable; this seems absurd on it's face. If metabolizing stored fat were 'stressful' to the point of compromising health, one has to think that an adaptation towards higher glycogen storage would have become dominant. Or, equivalently, an alternate fat metabolic pathway that is less stressful would have been selected.

This type of argument doesn't 'prove' anything, but certainly makes it extremely difficult to accept something like 'burning fat is stressful' without substantial supporting evidence.
                          Very well said. Very good points and extremely logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwkdnvr View Post
                            the big 'epiphany' for me with Primal was seeing an extremely elegant description of how human metabolism worked, shaped by evolution. The fact that we can store only a very minimal amount of carbs but a great amount of fat seems to point clearly to an expectation that we'd run off fat as the base of our metabolism - the only other rational conclusion is that carbs were ubiquitously available and meal timing/frequency were entirely predictable; this seems absurd on it's face. If metabolizing stored fat were 'stressful' to the point of compromising health, one has to think that an adaptation towards higher glycogen storage would have become dominant. Or, equivalently, an alternate fat metabolic pathway that is less stressful would have been selected.

Beautifully said. And I agree with you. I imagine people would have gorged on fruit in the summers, and stored it all as fat which enabled them to survive the winters when food was scarce. It's called hibernation... and most mammals do it

What I've taken from all these posts with Danny is not to be too extreme with Primal. I was fearing sugars, but the science would indicate moderate amounts are beneficial. I'm not advocating the OJ / table sugar suggestions - though I imagine it works for some people. For me, a little fruit / honey / dark chocolate would prob be enough to keep everything in balance.
                            Last edited by YogaBare; 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM.
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                              Beautifully said. And I agree with you. I imagine people would have gorged on fruit in the summers, and stored it all as fat which enabled them to survive the winters when food was scarce. It's called hibernation... and most mammals do it

What I've taken from all these posts with Danny is not to be too extreme with Primal. I was fearing sugars, but the science would indicate moderate amounts are beneficial. I'm not advocating the OJ / table sugar suggestions - though I imagine it works for some people. For me, a little fruit / honey / dark chocolate would prob be enough to keep everything in balance.
                              I just gotta say...

You need water and air too, but you don't store much of those substances...

Not sure if storage equates to importance from a metabolic standpoint.
                              -Sean
                              www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanBissell View Post
                                You need water and air too, but you don't store much of those substances...
                                Are you for real? Our body is something like 60% water!! Our brains are 70%. I think that qualifies as teeny amount of storage.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X