Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't understand how you can say Paleo is restrictive.
    It's not an issue of how many foods you can eat on a strict Paleo diet. It's the foods you can't that have no convincing evidence they are bad. The mass is never going to go for it. Vegans can make your same argument with the millions of plants and fruits out there. There's currently no reason to go beyond 100 or so years back. 10,000 years is just ridiculous and will never catch on with anything more than a niche group of people. Paleo, Vegan, etc are all just responses to the last 100 years of crappy food inventions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luce View Post
      I've read enough nosense. I had a bad hyperparathyroidsm case during haemodialysis, it happens because dialysis filters are not as great removing bigger molecules -phosphates and some stuff- as they are clearing smaller ones -potasium, urea (thankful for it given the downsides of low/high potasium). If membranes were permeable enough to remove more phosphates -bigger pores, so to speak- patients would become deprived of essential nutrients hormones and aminoacids.
      If anyone ever finds there are phosphates/calcium imbalances and bad PTH run to a doctor because it surely does not depend on your diet. It means you seriously screwed yourself somehow. I got relevant PTH mess after seven years of dialysis with phosphates doubling the high end of normal range (1 to 1 phosphates to calcium rates). My nomea are great, tua is to primato. Be' happens, be' cool, Have fun.
      Myself and those I've coached, have completely suppressed PTH by consuming enough calcium and vitamin D. The photo of my lab work is on my Facebook page.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that PTH is only relevant to those on dialysis—it isn't.

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
      I'm wondering what Ray or Danny would suggest for someone who continues to have hypothyroid symptoms (extremely low body temps, cold hands/feet, extreme sensitivity to cold, thinning hair, low metabolism, etc..) when eating high levels of salt and sugar don't seem to make a difference in these symptoms.
      Calcium, salt, sugar, enough protein, and vitamin A usually does the trick.

Sometimes experimenting with thyroid is warranted.

Originally posted by Belforte View Post
      Danny Roddy

Why did you go 0 carb for 2 years?
      I had good results with low-carb and wanted to take it to the far end of the spectrum. Wasn't so great.
      www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bopfer View Post
        It's not an issue of how many foods you can eat on a strict Paleo diet. It's the foods you can't that have no convincing evidence they are bad. The mass is never going to go for it. Vegans can make your same argument with the millions of plants and fruits out there. There's currently no reason to go beyond 100 or so years back. 10,000 years is just ridiculous and will never catch on with anything more than a niche group of people. Paleo, Vegan, etc are all just responses to the last 100 years of crappy food inventions.
        I've always thought the worst thing about Paleo (or Primal) is the name. When people ask how I lost weight, I never say "eating a paleo diet", that just leads to exhaustive explanations. I have told lots of people to google 'paleo', but I usually just say, "I quit eating processed foods, especially flour, vegetable oil, and sugar"

Comment

Paleo, Vegan, etc are all just responses to the last 100 years of crappy food inventions.
          I think there's a growing awareness that foods with myriad ingredients contain a bunch of stuff that isn't food. And eating actual food is better an healthier.

Thanks for the links on the salt you gave me. Are there any links that don't trace back to Ray Peat?

From what I can tell, salt is 'bad' for you because it increases your blood pressure. I've seen my blood pressure go from 160/100 to 120/80 with the switch to primal, so I have no concerns on that score.

What I do want to find out is what the positive effects of salt on the body are.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            Thanks for the links on the salt you gave me. Are there any links that don't trace back to Ray Peat?
            Chris Kresser did a pretty good series on it back in April: Shaking Up the Salt Myth: Healthy Salt Recommendations

Comment

• Danny or Bopfer - I was reading Glucose and sucrose for diabetes. and saw this:

"Many people lately have been told, as part of a campaign to explain the high incidence of fatty liver degeneration in the US, supposedly resulting from eating too much sugar, that fructose can be metabolized only by the liver. The liver does have the highest capacity for metabolizing fructose, but the other organs do metabolize it."

When I was in my 20's, I ate whatever I wanted and stayed pretty lean and healthy. When I hit my 30's I started getting fat, but kept eating SAD. By the time I was 40, I was nearly 100lbs overweight, and the whole range of metabolic syndrome symptoms, including fatty liver disease. Within a few months of stopping all sugar, flour and vegetable oil, my liver labs were all normal and within 6 months the fat was gone from my liver. I had always supposed this was from eliminating sugar from my diet. According to Peat, that is not the case. What do you suppose he would say cured my fatty liver disease given what I have told you here?

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                Danny or Bopfer - I was reading Glucose and sucrose for diabetes. and saw this:

"Many people lately have been told, as part of a campaign to explain the high incidence of fatty liver degeneration in the US, supposedly resulting from eating too much sugar, that fructose can be metabolized only by the liver. The liver does have the highest capacity for metabolizing fructose, but the other organs do metabolize it."

When I was in my 20's, I ate whatever I wanted and stayed pretty lean and healthy. When I hit my 30's I started getting fat, but kept eating SAD. By the time I was 40, I was nearly 100lbs overweight, and the whole range of metabolic syndrome symptoms, including fatty liver disease. Within a few months of stopping all sugar, flour and vegetable oil, my liver labs were all normal and within 6 months the fat was gone from my liver. I had always supposed this was from eliminating sugar from my diet. According to Peat, that is not the case. What do you suppose he would say cured my fatty liver disease given what I have told you here?
                In the context of Ray Peat, sugar is only bad when consumed with PUFAs since they interfere with proper glucose metabolism. Your improvement is likely due to removing PUFAs and grains along with the overall improvement in food quality (vitamins, minerals, etc). I doubt sugar had much to do with it other than helping you reduce calories.

Comment

In the context of Ray Peat, sugar is only bad when consumed with PUFAs since they interfere with proper glucose metabolism. Your improvement is likely due to removing PUFAs and grains along with the overall improvement in food quality (vitamins, minerals, etc). I doubt sugar had much to do with it other than helping you reduce calories.
                  Thinking about it, I was eating very little fruit and lots of high-fructose corn syrup. I always used artificial sweeteners, and never put sugar in anything when I was eating SAD 'because sugar is so bad'.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
                    Calcium, salt, sugar, enough protein, and vitamin A usually does the trick.

Sometimes experimenting with thyroid is warranted.

According to my last three blood tests, done every three years, my calcium levels are perfect (9.5), I eat on average 70-120 grams of protein daily, and my daily spoon of cod liver oil should more than cover the vitamin A. Since my thyroid levels are in the good range (TSH is 0.75), there's not a doctor out there that would even consider prescribing me thyroid. There's got to be something else out there...maybe cold thermogenesis really is the only answer for me.

Comment

• Danny, why is fatty fish not recommended? I usually eat wild salmon a couple times a week. Its high in omega 3 and low in omega 6. Is it not the omega 6 that causes problems? Im not talking about getting an abundance of omega 3 (e.g. from supplements) just from real food 2X a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                        According to my last three blood tests, done every three years, my calcium levels are perfect (9.5), I eat on average 70-120 grams of protein daily, and my daily spoon of cod liver oil should more than cover the vitamin A. Since my thyroid levels are in the good range (TSH is 0.75), there's not a doctor out there that would even consider prescribing me thyroid.
                        There are more tests, the ones you have are good, but that's not the whole picture.

Lactic acid
                        Parathyroid hormone (PTH)
                        Reverse T3
                        Prolactin
                        Whole blood serotonin

Some people need large amounts of vitamin A and salt (several teaspoons a day).

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                        There's got to be something else out there...maybe cold thermogenesis really is the only answer for me.
                        "Cold thermogenesis" isn't the answer for anyone.

Originally posted by sandokan2112 View Post
                        Danny, why is fatty fish not recommended? I usually eat wild salmon a couple times a week. Its high in omega 3 and low in omega 6. Is it not the omega 6 that causes problems? Im not talking about getting an abundance of omega 3 (e.g. from supplements) just from real food 2X a week.
                        PUFA, in all forms, is problematic.
                        www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by pqljdpaj
                          I'm gonna go ahead and guess there are a lot of primal families who limit their childrens sugar consumption, but have the very same healthy attributes you describe.
                          Please read my earlier replies. I have already covered this.
                          www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Please read my earlier replies. I have already covered this.
                            The bot got ya, Danny.

Comment

"Cold thermogenesis" isn't the answer for anyone.
                              PUFA, in all forms, is problematic.
                              Total agreement on these points. (although I think you may have just lost Otzi the iceman as a follower)

Kurt Harris points out that getting focused on perfecting your O3/O6 ratio is pointless if the total PUFA quantity in your diet is too high. He recommends focusing on bringing down your O6 instead of raising your O3 to match it.

Comment

• Danny, ( or others familiar with peats work) what are your
                                thoughts on using powdered Gatorade as a sugar/ salt source?
                                I do a great deal of outdoor sports in the summer heat where I sweat
                                a great deal. If my goals are general health and fat loss would this hinder my efforts?

Comment

Working...
                                X