Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    That may hold up for lactose intolerance, but I doubt it with allergies. Raw whole milk gives me worse gas and bloating than pasteurized milk. The worst gas I've ever had came from whey protein. Funny thing is in yogurt or cheese form, I don't have issues with allergies, acne or gas. By that logic, you could cure any food sensitivity. If the problem is not milk but me, then celiacs can cure their disease by eating wheat. I don't see how that is true.
    Whey protein is high in tryptophan and not recommended in isolation. I think any food sensitivity can be cured, but there's no one cure all for everyone. It's very individual.

Focusing on cheese is fine if that's what works for you. I definitely don't drink the 2 quarts/day that Peat talks about. I mix it up with some cheese. Cheese and fruit is my goto meal when I need something quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
      I've been fear-mongered that after two years low carb my hair will fall out and I'll grow a penis. I'll take the honey!!!
      Lol....there has been a lot of that going around too (I actually heard it would make my hair AND penis fall out though )

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
        Danny - You've made mention of needing 'thyroid' a couple times. Are you referring to thyroid hormone replacement when you say 'thyroid' in this context? If so, any thoughts on synthetic T4 (synthroid), Synthetic T3, Dessicated pig thyroid (Armour) etc...?
        It depends how deranged the system is.

It can take months to increase the metabolic rate with diet alone. Sometimes desiccated thyroid (T4 &T3), T3 alone, or a combination of both can make a big difference quickly

I use cynomel (T3) and a small dosage of cynoplus (T4/T3).

Originally posted by Dan Wich View Post
        To stick up for Danny, I've had mostly-positive results after experimenting with Peat's approach.

For years, I'd been strict paleo/primal, with some Perfect Health Diet tweaks over the past year. Peat always seemed a little kooky to me, but I liked Danny's philosophy of using bloodwork to objectively test health hypotheses. So I ordered some of the cheaper lab tests.

The results concerned me, and were in line with Peat's theories. So despite being skeptical of him, I've been trying his approach for the last 10 weeks, and just received my "post-Peat" results:
        1. C-reactive protein (high-sensitivity) dropped from 7.00 to 0.97 mg/L (though it's possible my initial level was transitory)
        2. Prolactin dropped from 13.5 to 7.7 ng/mL (I wanted this level to drop because of its connections to hair loss)
        3. TSH was 5.77 uIU/mL, which is high. I haven't received the new level yet, but I suspect it's dropped based on body temperature and pulse.
        4. Triglycerides dropped from 129 to 83 mg/dL
        5. LDL (calculated) dropped from 179 to 112 mg/dL (I realize this test and optimum levels are controversial)
        6. HDL unfortunately dropped from 53 to 43 mg/dL
        7. My fasting glucose levels have risen slightly (to be expected), but my 1 and 2 hour postprandial testing is similar to my pre-experiment levels.
        8. I've gained fat, which seems common with a Peat approach.

So my results are mixed, but I'm generally pleased. I think Danny's "measure and experiment" approach is worth a shot for people. For $100-$200 in lab tests, you can find out whether you're in the state that he and Peat would predict.
        Dude. Fuck yeah.

Like most things, Peat sees HDL ("good"), LDL ("bad") differently. He has mentioned that a high HDL to LDL has been associated with a decrease in heart disease, but an increase in cancer.

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Assertions are not evidence. "Consult a physiology textbook" doesn't cut it either. Do you think Mark failed to consult any physiology texts before writing the PB?
        I've never read PB, I don't know if he did or not.

Do you have anything to contribute to this conversation besides your cut & paste from anti-sugar websites @paleobird?

You cast a lot of doubt, but offer no critiques.

If I'm so wrong about "my interpretation" of physiology it's your job to figure out why for the sake of the community.

If you're not interested in that, understand that you are continually littering your anti-intellectualism in this thread.

Originally posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post

Danny Roddy: I'm interested in a WAPF approach to dentistry, as well. I brush and floss but I don't use toothpaste, just a little baking soda and vinegar every now and then. I assumed this approach would only be effective for me because I don't eat sugar and processed foods which tend to contribute to tooth decay in the first place. Do you think your approach could contribute to tooth decay? I know it's a little bit specific, but questions like this are legitimate barriers to buy-in for many of us.
        I use baking soda as well.

Peat mentioned that the quality of the saliva is the biggest contributor in tooth decay. The quality of the saliva is apparently regulated by thyroid. I haven't done much research on this, but my teeth are better than they were on zero carb and my gums don't bleed. I'm approaching my 2 year anniversary of "Peatatarianism" in December.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        Danny, a question -

You said: "Saturated fats (especially coconut oil) and sugar both suppress the release of fats from the tissue."

Do you mean that consuming saturated fats will actually stop you from losing fat? I thought if you wanted to burn fat you needed to eat fat?

Also, would moderate amounts of 85% chocolate suffice as the sugar that can keep our metabolic rate up? And how much fruit a day would you advocate?
        Remember, you're burning fat ALL THE TIME. The muscles use fatty acids at rest.

The point of inhibiting fat from being released is the same reason primal/paleo people limit PUFA consumption.

PUFA stored in your fat is released during stress and poses the same problems as consuming it.

Originally posted by fuwapyunco
        A few weeks is far too little time to judge anything. Stress makes one feel good in the short term and does it's damage in the long term. Living off ketones is stressful longterm. Any improvement is likely due to the removal of unsaturated fats, not carbs or sugar.
        Yup.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        Would just like to add to this - could raw honey serve a a "supplement", or does it have to be white sugar?

Also, can you give a specific outline of what you would recommend (diet wise) for someone who suffers from a degenerative thyroid disease? (like Hashimoto's)
        I wrote an article on Hashimoto's disease. Search my website.

I have a rough outline of dietary tweaks in a PDF if you sign up for my mailing list—basically higher protein, high calcium/phosphate ratio, high sugar/fat ratio, and some other tweaks.

Originally posted by bopfer View Post
        White sugar is generally recommended since it's pure sucrose. Sweeteners like honey and agave are not pure and can cause allergy issues in some. If they don't bother you, then they should be fine. But, if you are having any issues, it's best to stick with fruits and white sugar.
        Good stuff from @bopfer.
        Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-10-2012, 03:21 PM.
        www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

I was actually reading about this today - many more people have difficulty with milk than yogurt. It's to do with the insulin response: On Dairy and Insulin | Mark's Daily Apple

BTW - does anyone else think that Danny Roddy and bopfer are THE SAME PERSON??? It would sure be a smart way to promote Danny's work.

PS. Apologies bopfer if you are actually a person.
          Hah....

Have a mod check our IPs.
          www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

I was actually reading about this today - many more people have difficulty with milk than yogurt. It's to do with the insulin response: On Dairy and Insulin | Mark's Daily Apple

BTW - does anyone else think that Danny Roddy and bopfer are THE SAME PERSON??? It would sure be a smart way to promote Danny's work.

PS. Apologies bopfer if you are actually a person.
            I respectfully disagree. Yogurt (as with all fermented dairy) generates more insulin than milk.

Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! Weightology Weekly

I don't believe bad reactions to dairy have nothing to do with insulin. I don't think Type II Diabetes has much to do with insulin. If you look at the facts, starches and sugars may give diabetics issues, but dairy doesn't. Dairy comes paired with a glucagon reaction that balances the massive insulin spike in the absence of increased blood sugar. There is something else going on, here.

People are probably having bad reactions to milk because of the inflammatory proteins or natural bovine growth hormones it contains - after all, it's designed to grow baby cows into massive beasts. Fermenting milk removes a lot of these things thanks to the lactobacillus bacteria - it partially digests the milk so your gut doesn't have to do so much work. JMO.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
              I've never read PB, I don't know if he did or not.

Do you have anything to contribute to this conversation besides your cut & paste from anti-sugar websites @paleobird?

You cast a lot of doubt, but offer no critiques.

If I'm so wrong about "my interpretation" of physiology it's your job to figure out why for the sake of the community.

If you're not interested in that, understand that you are continually littering your anti-intellectualism in this thread.

Remember, you're burning fat ALL THE TIME. The muscles use fatty acids at rest.
              The point of inhibiting fat from being released is the same reason primal/paleo people limit PUFA consumption.
              PUFA stored in your fat is released during stress and poses the same problems as consuming it.
              I suggest you do read the PB. You might learn a thing or two.

"Anti-sugar websites?" Sweetie, you are on an anti-sugar website. Again read the PB or the MDA post by Mark I linked.

I've offered plenty of critiques, you've just dismissed them or ignored the hard ones.

No, it is "the community's" job to go back and actually read the PB before following you off a sugar cliff.

You probably don't realize that you have just leveled a charge of "anti-intellectualism" at a university professor. Hehehe. Cute.

So, if the whole point is to prevent fat from being released, how does one lose weight on this plan? According to those folks at that "anti-sugar website", Paleohacks, you don't. I just think that this is important for folks here to know.
              Last edited by Paleobird; 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                So, if the whole point is to prevent fat from being released, how does one lose weight on this plan? According to those folks at that "anti-sugar website", Paleohacks, you don't. I just think that this is important for folks here to know.
                I'm starting to think that you don't even read my replies @paleobird.

Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
                I'm replying mostly from my phone, so I apologize if I've missed any questions; it's not on purpose.

If I had a considerable amount of weight to lose (I was 170 lb. on zero carb), I'm about (150 lb. now; consuming about 400+ grams of sugar a day) I would focus on restoring the metabolic rate (pulse, body temperature, mood, libido) by consuming enough sugar and protein (80-100+ grams) while tapering the amount of fat I consumed (refined coconut oil would probably be the best weight loss fat).

Calcium is an important factor in weight loss. Obtaining a fairly large amount of calcium (5-7 grams a day and the cofactors) can decrease inflammation, stress, and increase the metabolic rate.

A test to assess your calcium status is called PTH.

Remember, going on a low-carb diet is NOT the only way to lose fat. The muscles continually use fat at rest.

Cliff McCrary wrote a great article on weight loss: Co2 Factor: Practical ways to lose fat
                What other "hard questions" do you have that I'll have to quote myself to answer?
                www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Hah....

Have a mod check our IPs.
                  Ha! Shows what you know....mods

Comment

• So, weight watchers but with sugar instead of fibre?
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Ha! Shows what you know....mods
                      ????
                      www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                        So, weight watchers but with sugar instead of fibre?
                        Does WW address the metabolic rate (pulse/body temperature) and offer a set of measurable labs?
                        www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Does WW address the metabolic rate (pulse/body temperature) and offer a set of measurable labs?
                          No, they recommend reduced calorie portions in a low fat diet.
                          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I'm starting to think that you don't even read my replies @paleobird.
                            What other "hard questions" do you have that I'll have to quote myself to answer?
                            I read it the first time. It still says nothing about HOW. All it said was that you personally lost 20 pounds by eating more sugar and protein but less fat and that calcium is important. You keep focusing on "restoring the metabolic rate". This sounds a lot like the slim-fast shake plan, lots of protein, calcium, and sugar with very little fat administered on a frequent basis. It is possible to lose weight like that. Many people have done it. As it has been pointed out, it is also possible to lose weight eating Twinkies if you restrict calories enough but that doesn't make it optimal for health.

Congratulations on your 20 pound weight loss. All those folks at Paleohacks that gained weight on Peat's plan must just be doing it wrong.
                            I have lost 65 pounds on Primal and my thyroid is just fine and my hair is thicker than ever.

Many people, not just me, have found that lower carbs and/or slower carbs such as sweet potatoes work well in combination with adequate protein and higher fat. They have found that this gives them a constant metabolic rate, without the roller coaster ride of a sugar burning metabolism.

But of course you know all of this. No wait you wouldn't. You haven't read Mark Sisson's book.

Comment

• Maybe this will help address concerns of weight gain?

Photo is attached.

Left is me after doing zero carb for two years. Right is me after doing "peat" for a little less than a year, consuming 400+ carbohydrate a day; 1/2 gallon of orange juice and 1/2-1 cup of white sugar, plus the sugar from several quarts of milk.

Rob Tuner is another "Peatatarian" who is beyond lean. I think he has some videos of his workouts on youtube.
                              Attached Files
                              www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

????
                                Oh, just kind of a joke....no such thing here.

Comment

Working...
                                X