Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
    These responses are confusing...

As I've read in other answers in this thread that the increased sugar consumption is supposed to increase thyroid function and clear out estrogen... And increase the ability to store glycogen...

However, when I was consuming sugary foods regularly, prior to anything anyone would ever describe as "low carb", I had rather frequent problems with mild to moderate hypoglycemic events. Despite all testing the doctors never found any reason... no pre-diabetes or that type thing.

It has been moving away from large inputs of sugar that have ceased this issue. I still eat a good number of carbs in my opinion, including fruits when I feel like it... but the more moderate diet that does not include large regular surges of sugar prevents the crashes. Before there were times that I literally felt like I was going to pass out, and was visibly shaking, if I didn't put some food into my mouth despite being over weight... that is certainly not healthy.
    Now I don't have to live my life around scheduled "inputs" such as meal times and snack times...

I'm sure you can understand how this sort of entrapped feeling, and the hypo crashes themselves, are stressful as well... and not an ideal living situation.
    Keep in mind, I'm not telling you to do anything, but your problems with sugar speaks about your particular metabolic situation, rather than about sugar itself.

If you wanted to explore things further, blood work (T3, T4, reverse T3, TSH, prolactin, serotonin) and self-diagnostics (pulse, temperature) are great places to start.
    www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
      Just curious - why refined coconut oil as opposed to virgin?
      Virgin can be allergenic and some don't like the taste.
      www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Hi Danny!! Glad to see you here. It's funny that I started out here on MDA, moved on to your blog and Dr. Peat's work, and now after not visiting MDA for awhile I happened across this wonderfully informative thread. What a great discussion!

I used to have hypoglycemic episodes much like the commenter above mentioned--which also went away when I went LC paleo, but only temporarily...they came back after I went really (<20g) low carb.

What I am wondering is--if/when a person has a good metabolism and thyroid, would they be able to go for most of the day without eating without getting hypoglycemia and feeling crappy? I'm guessing so, yes? What is the mechanism that the body would employ to do this; something to do with liver glycogen stores and probably breaking down fat tissue (which would probably be mostly saturated in an optimally healthy person?)?

I love this thread! I have lots more questions, but I need to think them through first so I can ask them in a (hopefully) intelligent manner LOL ;-)
        My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
        *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Comment

• Originally posted by Ika View Post
          What I am wondering is--if/when a person has a good metabolism and thyroid, would they be able to go for most of the day without eating without getting hypoglycemia and feeling crappy? I'm guessing so, yes? What is the mechanism that the body would employ to do this; something to do with liver glycogen stores and probably breaking down fat tissue (which would probably be mostly saturated in an optimally healthy person?)?
          Yes.

When the thyroid is good, the liver is more efficient and can store adequate amounts of glycogen to get by for several hours.

I think following your appetite is a good guide though; the goal isn't necessarily to not be hungry.

Hans Selye (the father of stress) noted that one of the first signs of being sick was a reduced appetite.
          Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-08-2012, 03:41 PM.
          www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
            The issue I have is this seems counter-evolutionary in my mind. Now, "red meat" seems to be the preferred meat because of its higher saturated fat:unsaturated fat ratio. This is classically the meat of ruminants, or planet-eating animals. Wikipedia gives a list: cattle, goats, sheep, giraffes, bison, moose, elk, yaks, water buffalo, deer, camels, alpacas, llamas, antelope, pronghorn, and nilgai.

Does anyone see a problem here?

These animals are big animals. They also possess the uncanny ability to run your ass over and stomp you to death if they feel threatened. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming the classic Paleo "2.5 million year timetable" of human evolution, for the overwhelming majority of that time we lacked the tools necessary to kill ruminants.
            Homo Erectus is a precursor to Homo Sapiens, and they had fire and could hunt. So I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that part of the problem with this thread is that it started off with 'SUGAR IS GOOD, EAT LOTS', which most people (myself included) interpreted to be a blessing on white sugar. However, if that sugar is being ingested exclusively in the form of fruits, that seems to me to be much more reasonable.

Our family had already 'adapted' to a high fruit lifestyle, since that's the snack of choice for our children.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
              However, if that sugar is being ingested exclusively in the form of fruits, that seems to me to be much more reasonable.
              Originally posted by dannyroddy
              A cup of sugar, gummy bears, and Mexican cola are hard to put in context until one adopts the idea that the metabolic rate is the underlining factor in health.

Fruit is probably "optimal", but for someone with a very low metabolic rate the addition of white sugar is like night and day.

Nutritionism to a certain point is not helpful. Thyroid hormone is needed to absorb a variety of vitamins and minerals and is needed in general for mineral balance.

Inflammatory stress hormones that increase during low thyroid, cause one to waste minerals.

Just adopting a 'solid traditional diet' may or may not address any of this.

Sugar, however, can be used like a supplement to increase the metabolic rate.
              www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• How exactly would we know if we need to supplement with 'sugar' and not just fruit? How exactly would that be incorporated. Is there a link that we can follow to see how the eating plan for this style is laid out?

Interesting observation~MY FIl is diabetic and for at least 15 years and consistantly drinks a 1/2 gallon of OJ everyday! My DH and his siblings have gotten onto him about this for years but he does it none the less. I took him for a check up once and asked his doctor about it and he said it was fine!!! My FIL blood sugars are always in the low 90's upon arising and he never feels bad! He lives on his own at 89 and functions perfectly.. More HMMMMM~

Comment

• Originally posted by longing2bfit View Post
                  Interesting observation~MY FIl is diabetic and for at least 15 years and consistantly drinks a 1/2 gallon of OJ everyday! My DH and his siblings have gotten onto him about this for years but he does it none the less. I took him for a check up once and asked his doctor about it and he said it was fine!!! My FIL blood sugars are always in the low 90's upon arising and he never feels bad! He lives on his own at 89 and functions perfectly.. More HMMMMM~
                  Drinking milk is easier when you add sugar to it, same with orange juice.

It's not necessary, just easier, and maybe "quicker."

Remember, think supplement.
                  www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by longing2bfit View Post
                    How exactly would we know if we need to supplement with 'sugar' and not just fruit? How exactly would that be incorporated. Is there a link that we can follow to see how the eating plan for this style is laid out?

Insulin or oral meds?

Comment

• Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                      I am enjoying this thread, but wish everyone would clarify what they mean by low carb. I know it's been asked and answered once, but I wonder if everyone means the same. Several more recent people here posted about going low carb and feeling better once they upped their carb ante. It's all so vague for me. I'm assuming they were all below 50 g a day and upped to 100-150 g. I just wished I knew for sure...

Same for other threads...
                      Everyone has definition it seems. Some people talk about upping their carbs by adding an onion to their meals. lol
                      I usually see it as. VLC = Only vegetables meat, eggs and maybe some berries. Non starch vegetables are said to provide hardly any usable carbohydrate.

Low carb = Meat, eggs, vegetables, some potatoes and some fruit besides berries.

Moderate = Fruit and starch making up a significant amount but still less than the SAD 55% carbohydrate level.

High = Above 55%, usually with potatoes, rice, coconut water and juice.
                      Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-08-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
                        A cup of sugar, gummy bears, and Mexican cola are hard to put in context until one adopts the idea that the metabolic rate is the underlining factor in health.
                        Ok then, what is the evidence that the metabolic rate is the underlying factor in health? And what evidence is that 85 is better than say 70 or 60?

Because I was been labouring under the assumption that the lower your pulse rate is, the better.

Inflammatory stress hormones that increase during low thyroid, cause one to waste minerals.
                        But hasn't it been shown that elevated CRP levels on low carb are only temporary?
                        Last edited by magicmerl; 07-08-2012, 07:17 PM.
                        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                          Ok then, what is the evidence that the metabolic rate is the underlying factor in health? And what evidence is that 85 is better than say 70 or 60?
                          In the 1930s accurate diagnoses of low thyroid was made by evaluating basal oxygen consumption, serum cholesterol, pulse rate, temperature, carotenemia (orange calluses), bowel function, and quality of hair and skin.

Active thyroid hormone, which energizes the cell, is essential for maintaining the integrity of our cells and producing the "protective" and "youthful" hormones pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, and testosterone.

When thyroid isn't around (low metabolic rate, low pulse, low temperature), adrenaline, cortisol, estrogen, and other adaptive hormones are needed to compensate for the reduced energy supply.

Because I was been labouring under the assumption that the lower your pulse rate is, the better.
                          Originally posted by dannyroddy View Post
                          @Neckhammer,

Consider the metabolism of a healthy young child; energy for days, high pulse, beaming with heat, vascular and pink.

Their regenerative abilities are the defining feature of youth.

Do you honestly believe that slowing down this youthful metabolism is a good thing?

How many healthy athletes do you know with low pulse rates? I don't know any.

Ask the women if they menstruate. Ask the men to remember the last time they've had a spontaneous erection.
                          But hasn't it been shown that elevated CRP levels on low carb are only temporary?
                          Like blood sugar handling issues, inflammation is a systemic problem not a local one. Low thyroid, high estrogen, high serotonin, high prolactin, high aldosterone, and elevated parathyroid hormone are all inflammatory.
                          www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                            So, if I understand this right, to lose weight we should be eating very low fat and high sucrose, consuming fruit/juice every few hours? I'm all for raising metabolism, but this really sounds like a recipe for disaster, at least for me. I used to have to snack on something every few hours, and now that my blood sugar is much more stable, I can easily go most or all day without food if I want to - I can't imagine going back to consuming sugar all day long, because I did that (granted I was eating PUFAs and other bad stuff) and I MUCH prefer to not be a slave to constant doses of sugar.

What is the typical reaction of someone who is following this prescription and is unable to constantly snack/drink (say, when travelling) on some days...I'd imagine getting a low blood sugar headache or getting really irritable (how I used to get if I didn't eat every few hours).

Also, Ray is pretty clear on the health benefits of saturated fat...but I'm having trouble seeing how to both incorporate plenty of saturated fat in the diet, while keeping fat low simultaneously to prevent fat storae in the presence of all that fructose. I read the links provided, but I couldn't really find anything that specifically addressed this - it just said to eat low fat dairy.
                            I have no idea how you reached this conclusion.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• So, 'metabolic rate' = 'thyroid levels'?

Consider the metabolism of a healthy young child; energy for days, high pulse, beaming with heat, vascular and pink.

Their regenerative abilities are the defining feature of youth.

Do you honestly believe that slowing down this youthful metabolism is a good thing?
                              Isn't it an apples to oranges comparison to compare the metabolisms of a pre-pubescent child with that of an adult? I mean, it seems like this is all about your hormones being in balance with each other, and I imagine that a child has quite different hormone levels to an adult.

Like blood sugar handling issues, inflammation is a systemic problem not a local one. Low thyroid, high estrogen, high serotonin, high prolactin, high aldosterone, and elevated parathyroid hormone are all inflammatory.
                              I had thought that oxidised particles were the primary culprits for inflammation. Is that incorrect?

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                                So, 'metabolic rate' = 'thyroid levels'?
                                It's more complex, but in a basic sense.

Isn't it an apples to oranges comparison to compare the metabolisms of a pre-pubescent child with that of an adult? I mean, it seems like this is all about your hormones being in balance with each other, and I imagine that a child has quite different hormone levels to an adult.
                                I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Children are very efficient at producing energy. Adults, not so much.

I had thought that oxidised particles were the primary culprits for inflammation. Is that incorrect?
                                Not sure what you're talking about here either.

Masterjohn noted that oxidized cholesterol in the blood was the result of low thyroid function.
                                www.dannyroddy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X