Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Oi

A couple questions:

What is your favorite brand? Nutiva looks pretty good.

Does the flavor overpower when using it for frying, eg does it ruin scrambled eggs?

Thanks.

Hi Artbuc
    I use LouAna pure coconut oil and there is no coconut flavor to it. It fries eggs beautifully and there is no lingering oily taste like vegetable oil has. I love it.

Comment

I usually use Nutiva, but I've used some other brands. As to whether the falvor interferes, that is a highly personal thing. I don't have s trong sense of taste, so I don't mind cooking something like eggs with it. However, my husband has a superhuman sense of taste and smell, and can't stand to use coconut oil for any cooking. He can only use it in smoothies, or something that is meant to taste sweet. I've even tried 'secretly' cooking things like veggies with it, but he can taste it everytime and then can't eat whatever i cooked. Finally learned my lesson, and now i only cook with it if it's something JUST for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SheriHP View Post
        Hi Artbuc
        I use LouAna pure coconut oil and there is no coconut flavor to it. It fries eggs beautifully and there is no lingering oily taste like vegetable oil has. I love it.
        No coconut flavor? Does this mean it is refined? The LouAna website doesn't say. Thanks.

Comment

sorry but LouAna is extremely low quality coconut oil, made from capra, and bleached, deodorized & refined. it's crap.

best brands are dr. bronners, artisana and trader joe's, in my opinion.

Comment

I ignore brands and buy what's on sale at the health food co-op. Get a couple bucks off that way.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I dont know my brand. I get it at my Dutch store. I use it for most everything.

I havent researched this yet, but my sister was telling me that she heard to rub CO on your body. I thought she said it was to help with weight loss? Maybe I was just hearing things, wishful thinking maybe.
              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I use the Sprout's store brand. It's on sale quite often at $5.99 for a 14 ounce jar of Extra Virgin Unrefined.

Comment

I like Nutiva, Artisana, and Garden of Life. All have a coconut taste to them since they are Virgin oils.
                  LastBottleWines

Comment

I like Dr. Bronner's best and buy it whenever it is on sale. Whole Food's brand is what I get otherwise. I prefer my eggs to be cooked in grass fed butter or bacon fat. Coconut Oil I use more for meats.

Comment

I'm in the UK and bought Parachute coconut oil. It smells really coconutty and although I liked that didn't like the overpowering taste so I'm using it as body moisturiser now !

Comment

I only use the virgin coconut oil also... and yes it is coconutty, but not overpowering.
                        That said there are some things it goes with better than others... or some recipes.

Tonight I'm having pork and plantains... so coconut oil is in use and will compliment the flavors.

Other things like fried eggs... not so much. So for them I use ghee.

There are several appropriate oils/fats to use ... just pick the one that works for what you are doing that day.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                        X