Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there such a common misconception that eggs are dairy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
    [
    if a lion eats me, i GARONTEE she will not "feel bad". nature does have a food chain, ya know?
    I feel sorry for the English langauge, which I guarantee you just mauled.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by JVAMan View Post
      Probably because eggs are sold in the dairy section of most supermarkets (or right next to it)??? My friends and I were playing Scattergories a few years ago and we got the letter "E" for Dairy items and it started a huuuuuge argument, haha.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to! lol "you do eat dairy! You eat eggs!" ugghhh O.o

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        Would you eat a chimp steak? Do you feel less empathy for chimps than you do for sardines? If so, I pity you.
        No, but I don't feel more empathy for them than fish. And yes, I'd love to eat a chimp steak....waiting for the day when I can go to Singapore, buy a monkey, and have his brain cooked in his head right before me shortly before I get to eat it....

Do you feel more empathy for it than for lobsters in this scenario? I don't think you should...
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Back to question - chickens (and therefore, eggs) came under the remit of the dairy maid, who also would milk the cow, separate off the cream, make butter, some cheeses, collect eggs etc. If you visit some of the bigger National Trust properties in the UK, you will be able to see the kitchens, larders, game larders, breweries and the dairy parlour. Where the eggs were kept...

Comment

The problem with chimp steak is that it's mostly CAFO.
            I wish I liked to eat liver.

Comment

Eggs are not dairy?!

Kidding.. Oh, now that some of you mention Guppys (the fish). I have a bunch of them because they keep popping fish-kids out. Can I eat them? I once tried to give one to my dog. He chewed on it but spit it out and didn't eat it... He eats both dried and lightly cooked fish normally, so there must be something 'fishy' about the taste of a guppy.
              Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                I feel sorry for the English langauge, which I guarantee you just mauled.
                my spelling and syntax are excellent, tyvm. you just forgot to take your net humor pills, i guess.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by ToldUzo View Post
                  Eggs are not dairy?!

Kidding.. Oh, now that some of you mention Guppys (the fish). I have a bunch of them because they keep popping fish-kids out. Can I eat them? I once tried to give one to my dog. He chewed on it but spit it out and didn't eat it... He eats both dried and lightly cooked fish normally, so there must be something 'fishy' about the taste of a guppy.
                  my guppies ate their own babies which brought me no ends of sads as a kid, so we had to gradually eliminate them from the aquarium.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I think the habit of labelling the part of the store where they keep the milk and eggs as the "dairy case" hasn't helped matters.

I liked my brother's attitude when he was a vegetarian. Basically, he claimed he only ate animals he felt deserved to be eaten, so turkey was his meat of choice.

Fortunately he's now given up on the whole vegetarian thing because he was tired of struggling to get enough protein in his diet. As a super-active dude (serious cyclist/hiker/climber/parkour/urbex), eggs and dairy just weren't enough--he was turning into Jack Skellington.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      I'd love to eat a chimp steak....waiting for the day when I can go to Singapore, buy a monkey, and have his brain cooked in his head right before me shortly before I get to eat it....
                      That's all well and good, but a chimpanzee isn't remotely a monkey. In other (simplified) words, we're brothers with the chimps; whereas our closest relatives that are classified as monkeys are third cousins to both of us. The chimp has precisely as much right to call you a monkey as you do him. Where's the Primal Creationist thread when we need it?
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                        I liked my brother's attitude when he was a vegetarian. Basically, he claimed he only ate animals he felt deserved to be eaten, so turkey was his meat of choice.
                        And once again, the blinders of anthropocentrism make themselves evident.

All animals are eventually eaten, in one sense or another of the word. We all deserve it.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                          OMG Another Mississauga citizen?! You gotta be kidding me!
                          West siiiiiiiiiiiiiiide, represent! Or whatever the kids say now. You know these kids nowadays, with their radios and their pants real low and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by earthspirit View Post
                            I feel bad for everything I eat too. Especially when I eat some fruit with a seed. Poor little baby plant never stood a chance...Thus this is the circle of life. Eat and be eaten. It's our turn to do the eating.
                            I started saving the seeds, anything from cherries to pumpkin. I just turned my back lawn into a giant mudpit that will turn into a huge garden next spring.
                            I'm planning on setting all my collected seeds free.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              And once again, the blinders of anthropocentrism make themselves evident.

All animals are eventually eaten, in one sense or another of the word. We all deserve it.
                              Dude, it was a joke on his part based on his experience volunteering on an organic turkey farm. You know, humour?

And do you mean anthropocentrism or anthropomorphism?

I have no problem with anthropocentrism--in terms of evolutionary success, it makes sense to prioritize one's own species. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have an ethical approach to our world (after all, if we destroy it we're kind of screwed), but I am going to put a human ahead of a pig.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                                Dude, it was a joke on his part based on his experience volunteering on an organic turkey farm. You know, humour?

And do you mean anthropocentrism or anthropomorphism?

I have no problem with anthropocentrism--in terms of evolutionary success, it makes sense to prioritize one's own species. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have an ethical approach to our world (after all, if we destroy it we're kind of screwed), but I am going to put a human ahead of a pig.
                                Actually, evolutionary success is based on the individual's prioritization of himself, not of his species. Even animals like insects that don't reproduce individually actually tend to work to maximize the benefit of their genetic material.

And you missed my point entirely (hence the confusion about whether I had the correct word, which I did). Of course you identify with another human more greatly than you would a pig. That doesn't actually imply that the world belongs to humans, and that the pigs (and forests and lakes and oceans) were just put here for our use.

The idea that an animal is better off "uneaten" because we don't sell it in boneless, skinless chunks, plastic-wrapped on a little styrofoam tray in the grocery store reveals how far we've been blinded by our anthropocentric views of the universe. My point is that it's more honest to remember that we are all fed until we are fed upon. In other words, righteous vegetarianism is a lie.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X