Not cheap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by croí View Post
    Isn't a EUR like $.80 to a US $1.00? That would make 1200 EUR = $960 US, right?
    The other way round Google just showed me this figure - 1200 Euros = 1 497.36 U.S. dollars

Comment

Though I agree with the other posters that there are ways to cut down on costs, ultimately, I spend a high percentage of my pay on food, because, ultimately, what's more important than my health? As Joel Salatin says: "If you think organic food is expensive, have you priced cancer lately?"
      Lifting Journal

Comment

We spend $250 a week to feed 7 people for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and one snack a day, and that includes toiletries like paper towels, toilet paper, toothbrushes, etc.

Find some calorie dense foods like coconut milk and use it in lots of recipes. And frozen veggies are excellent! I buy grassfed ground meat... And it would be cheaper per pound if I bought it in bulk and froze it. But I need a big freezer first! Also, while you still need a lot of calories, you'd be surprised at how much food you dont need. I could eat a whole pizza, but I can only eat 2 hambuger patties. CW has you eating more often too. Your body has to adjust.
        Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
          CW has you eating more often too. Your body has to adjust.
          This was a lesson we learned on our first shopping trip - later that week we discovered we ate a lot less and bought way too much food.
          5' 9" 47 YO F
          PB start June 2, 2012
          Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
          Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
            As Joel Salatin says: "If you think organic food is expensive, have you priced cancer lately?"
            Touche~!

Comment

I know when I first started, the spices are what got me! Because I never really cooked before, I needed to load up on the spices, and that really dug into my budget some.

Comment

Originally posted by inesenite View Post
                The other way round Google just showed me this figure - 1200 Euros = 1 497.36 U.S. dollars
                Are you sure? I looked it up too, and Currency Calculator - x-rates says $1 is to 0.801603 EUR

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                  Are you sure? I looked it up too, and Currency Calculator - x-rates says $1 is to 0.801603 EUR
                  So 1200 Euros / 0.801603 = $1497. Math... Go figure.

Comment

That's about what I spend for a family of 3, the third only being 14 months . 250 a week, easy. I don't shop for deals or use coupons or go to different stores for different shit. It is what it is.

I can't do the whole bone broth, cow assholes and canned mackerel diet. I buy steaks, chops, chicken, fish, veggies, fruit and cheese.

One thing that is nice is the store I shop at usually has less desirable cuts of grass fed beef. Sirloin Tip, Cross Rib etc.. which are great for breakfast meats and cheap. I wouldn't serve it to a guest LOL.
                    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM.
                    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This thread is a good reminder for me for why I need to stop buying stuff to spoil myself with. Lately I have been overdosing on pistachios, which do not come cheap, even in bulk. I think my grocery bill is about $700/month for 1.5 people (boyfriend comes over half the week and we cook together, but only using ingredients that I approve of XD)
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                        Though I agree with the other posters that there are ways to cut down on costs, ultimately, I spend a high percentage of my pay on food, because, ultimately, what's more important than my health? As Joel Salatin says: "If you think organic food is expensive, have you priced cancer lately?"
                        Amen. Like I mentioned above, we spend quite a bit. We can't afford or find everything organic but we do the best we can and don't really worry about the cost. I'd rather pay for food than medications or medical procedures 20 years down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by kbn1 View Post
                          So 1200 Euros / 0.801603 = $1497. Math... Go figure.
                          Math is a great tool but you have to use it correctly. That calculation requires multiplication, not division.
                          1200 Euros x .801603 = $961.92

Comment

I hate the argument of "good food is expensive, but cancer is even more expensive". If I don't have the money to spend, I just don't. We rarely eat out, never go to Starbucks, rarely buy new clothes, conserve gas, make just enough to get by. But I'd like my family to be as healthy as possible. It's really hard when the $425/m we have budgeted (4 adults, 2 preschool children) doesn't work, but there's nowhere to cut (esp since we can't sell our house). So the response of telling people to find room in their budget is unhelpful and can be downright insulting. And I'm not sure on the whole eating less thing either, I've been doing this for 5 months and don't find myself eating substantially less at all.

Comment

Completely understand on the money front; maybe those who think it's easy can hit your paypal account with some dosh. On the eating less thing, I didn't say everyone would, I just said my husband and I do.
                              5' 9" 47 YO F
                              PB start June 2, 2012
                              Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                              Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

Hmmmm...Trader Joe's. I need to go there.

I am with everybody else, I thought it was going to be more expensive, but even after switching to an all grass fed butcher shop, we are averaging about the same. We are eating so much LESS food this way and ZERO fast food. We might be spending $150 a week TOTAL, that means pet food, toilet paper...everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X