Leptin reset, BAB---what are these?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leptin reset, BAB---what are these?

Can someone explain to me what LR and BAB are? I haven't read PB yet; just ordered it. I'm reading THE PALEO SOLUTION at the moment. Today is about the 10th day of eating Primal; it's also the first day that I haven't been ravenous all day. I'm turning into a meat-eating fool!

BAB= Big Ass Breakfast.

It is advocated by Jack Kruse on the leptin reset thread and on his website. Specifically 50 grams or more of protein within 30 minutes of waking. Some people have found it to be very helpful in controlling craving s and binge overeating and some people have found it to be a crock. YMMV.

Comment

Kruse's leptin reset thread and website?

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      BAB= Big Ass Breakfast.

It is advocated by Jack Kruse on the leptin reset thread and on his website. Specifically 50 grams or more of protein within 30 minutes of waking. Some people have found it to be very helpful in controlling craving s and binge overeating and some people have found it to be a crock. YMMV.
      Where can I find Kruse's website and/or the thread on the leptin reset? I'd like to read more about this.

Thanks, Paleobird!

Comment

Just be warned. It is a monster thread, upwards of 2000 pages and not all of it is really well informed.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

Personally, I think there is some merit to Kruse's plan but I'm not yet convinced it works for the reasons he says it works. The plan is basically eat a big protein rich breakfast. Eat only at meals, no snacking ever. And keep the carbs low. That is pretty sensible advice. So is this a magical resetting of your leptin receptors or just some basic common sense? You decide. But don't stay up all night reading that thread.

Comment

Thank you, Paleobird! I might skip the reading and just go straight for the BAB and see if it works for me.

Comment

The more space you can put between your meals the better. This is the idea behind IFing. But every IF guru seems to think that the best meal to skip is breakfast. This works for some people but I think a lot of people powering through the morning on coffee alone are setting themselves up for bingeing out on workplace cookies and not so healthy lunch options later.

I found that when I did the BAB, I was able to skip lunch entirely and pare my day down to just two meals. It does shut off the hunger bells and keep them off for quite a while.

I wish you well. Drop by my journal sometime and keep me posted on how it works out for you.

Comment

i'll comment on this, cause this here's amurikah, and i can!

if you're looking to lose weight, please focus on food. movement and strength training after that. 'resetting' your leptin, and growing more brown fat should be about the last thing you think of, and will likely prove a distraction.

but again, this being the US of A, you can do whatever you like!

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                i'll comment on this, cause this here's amurikah, and i can!

if you're looking to lose weight, please focus on food. movement and strength training after that. 'resetting' your leptin, and growing more brown fat should be about the last thing you think of, and will likely prove a distraction.

but again, this being the US of A, you can do whatever you like!
                Yeah but all that good healthy food would get so boring if it weren't for painting iodine on your privates and having an ice bath.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  Yeah but all that good healthy food would get so boring if it weren't for painting iodine on your privates and having an ice bath.
                  damn... how can i counter that?!

Comment

To the OP who is probably completely baffled by now...........

Dr. Kruse has been (and still is by some) revered as a god but he is also a raging narcissist with a lot of questionable but learned sounding pseudo-science to support what is basically a common sense weight loss program. And then he goes and throws in the ice baths just to be dramatic. He writes with the principle, "if you can't dazzle then with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit".

Some people are starting to see him as a bit of a joke.

That doesn't mean that a sensible breakfast won't help, just that I didn't need Jack Kruse to invent reasons why it might. My grandmother told me decades ago that to lose weight I should eat a good breakfast, not eat bread and potatoes, and never snack outside of meals. Grandma wasn't a neurosurgeon but she could write much more intelligibly than Dr. Kruse ever will.

Comment

What I got out of reading this thread is that the Leptin Reset is probably mostly BS...but eating a big breakfast w/in 30 minutes of rising (let's say protein grams of between 28 to 42, or 4 to 6 oz) would be a good way to stave off cravings and bingeing on carbs. Another post suggests exposing your eyes (retina) to sunlight for 1 minute when you first get up in the morning. This resets cortisol levels. Note that I'm not eating the 50 to 70+ grams protein Dr Kruse says to eat because almost everyone says it's too much for weight loss, and that it's not necessary to eat that much protein, just a reasonable amount. I'm a 65 y/o female who has had a problem with carbs my entire life! Having a real challenge with bingeing... hoping Leptin Reset would be the answer. Have started this way of eating many times, it's lasted for maybe a month, and then the carb cravings have taken me off the deep end. But...I did start eating within 30 minutes of arising as the Leptin Reset states, and yesterday, it made a HUGE difference in my hunger levels all day. Amazing given the strong cravings of late. No, I don't plan on following the Leptin Reset to the letter, but am taking what I think I need to stop the cravings, and am moving forward with a primal plan. At this point, I will do almost anything to get on track with food and with paleo/primal/low carb/healthy carb. I know my body...it just cannot tolerate carbs well at all. Sheepishly admitting...the junk carbs are my biggest downfall. Heroin. No surprises there.
                      Last edited by Emme; 04-22-2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

As someone who did follow the LR protocol for about 9 weeks, I can say that it does work. I did lose 20 pounds during that time. You will eat progressively less protein at breakfast. IF was way easy to do and it does kill cravings.
                        Georgette

Comment

Thanks! Sorry, I'm a newbie...what does IF stand for? Oh...I see it here...it's the Intermittent Fasting. Posting this term in case someone else doesn't know. Mark does explain IF in one of his discussions.

If anyone would like to offer suggestions about how they have gotten bingeing under control, or any other suggestions, it would be greately appreciated.
                          Last edited by Emme; 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Emme;1167529

If anyone would like to offer suggestions about how they have gotten bingeing under control, or any other suggestions, it would be greately appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Eat plenty of food! Make good choices and fill up, that is how you control bingeing. if you are new to PB, and depending on how heavy processed foods/sugar consumption you are used to, it may take a while to shake the sugar/carb cravings....just eat a lot and stay away from the crap. Your body will settle into the routine in short order.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't read Kruse's own website. It's total gibberish.

Also, the Kruse protocol also involves circadian rhythm things such as getting daytime sunlight and not staying up late looking at blue light (screens and monitors). These are primal things as well.

I think that for many people, a big high protein breakfast is a huge help in controlling the desire to snack and can solve all that "I really want some bread/muffins/cookies/candy" head talk that a lot of people have. It helped me and I hadn't even heard of Kruse when it helped me.

The thing is, people get into a rut of eating sweet things for breakfast and don't realize that training yourself to eat something more like dinner for breakfast actually makes you feel good. Instead they get caught up in thinking breakfast can only be either a) the stuff they like and can't have anymore, b) eggs and bacon or c) greek yogurt smoothies. Well, breakfast can be dinner.

Try it and see if you really are the weak-willed glutton for pastries you think you are. I always thought I had a personal failing and when I realized I didn't, I was pretty mad at myself and the world for making me feel like I was a weak-willed glutton for so many decades.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X