Lipid profiles before and after primal diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishin-frog View Post
    I got my results yesterday and am quite frankly pretty freaked out. MY LDL-P is 1611 nmol/L which is in the “High” risk category. Directly measured LDL-C 181, HDL 93, trig 41. These results were about ten days from the standard results and were that different. Tells me how much things can change from day to day.
    I'm in practically the same boat, but my total is even higher (300) and HDL is a little lower. Also, my LDL-P came back as over 2000. But, from what I've heard, cholesterol tests are not very precise. In a podcast with Chris Masterjohn, he mentioned that your results can vary by 30 points just due to error, I think. I'm pretty sure it was here in the second (of three) podcast: Chris Masterjohn on cholesterol & heart disease (part 2)

Also, Mark posted about the inaccuracy of NMR and VAP tests: How to Interpret Advanced Cholesterol Test Results | Mark's Daily Apple

My take is that it's just a number and no causative links have been established. Like Masterjohn says, numbers well outside the "normal" range can indicate an underlying pathology. My take on statins is that they are just treating a number, not the underlying pathology (if there is one). Also, give this a read and you will never want to take a statin:
    How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work.

Comment

Looks like based on the pattern here that we are gradually killing ourselves.

Comment

Why Did My Cholesterol Go Up After Going Primal? | Mark's Daily Apple

Looks like Mark is reading our minds... or this thread, haha.

Comment

Are you just eating fish, no fish oil? How many times a week do you eat fish?

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          I thank my high fish consumption for my HDL.

Comment

I probably eat a little fish everyday as of late. Canned pink salmon, sardines, and frozen salmon. But who knows if it's really what does it. I haven't tried avoiding fish for six months to find out. And I'm not going to! Hah! But yes, no fish oil. And all my fish is in water, no evil oils!
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

In November 2007
              HDL 68
              LDL 88
              Trigs 139

In November 2011
              HDL 116
              LDL 104
              Trigs 45

Comment

In November 2007
                HDL 68
                LDL 88
                Trigs 139

In November 2011
                HDL 116
                LDL 104
                Trigs 45
                Wow! Nice HDL...
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Linny View Post
                  Are these numbers correct? TC should be 287 is the other numbers are right.

ETA or was the LDL direct measure?
                  Thanks for the catch! HDL isn't correct. My HDL was 39.8, not 91.2.

The values were in mmol/L and I converted them to the standard US measurements to be the same as everyone else here. Alas, a copy/paste error evidently has occurred.

The LDL numbers match the Friedwald formula. So I'm guessing that they are just an estimate.
                  Last edited by magicmerl; 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Ok. I started this thread. So I feel obligated to contribute.
                    I'm an MD. Based on my education, id been very skeptical regarding the effects on lipid profile of low carb, high fat diet, despite the positive literature findings. I'd seen great success in others. Plus, I had some digestive issues with grains. So, I did my labs and began limiting carbs a year ago. Averaged 3 eggs a day. I eat a fair number of veggies and drink a couple of beers a day. Other than that, I ate pretty "paleo.". Did not ever shy away from fat and petty much (except some rare social occasions) avoided pasta, rice, cereal and bread. I exercise a lot, always have. So after a year, I redid my labs. The results are pretty amazing. My cholesterol profile was good before but this is better. So for me, an N of one, this way of eating appears not only safe, but healthy, sort of standing conventional wisdom on its head.
                    May 2012 May 2013
                    Total Cholesterol 222 186
                    LDL 113 73
                    HDL 97 105
                    Triglycerides 59 38

Comment

Working...
                    X