Raw Foodist Going Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Foodist Going Primal

I have been 'raw' for over four years, with blood sugar issues the entire time. I went 'protein type' on the metabolic typing diet (which meant cutting out fruits and honey... I'm already grain free). I added raw eggs and fish to my diet and was doing very well for about two weeks- then my stomach would cramp up horribly for at least an hour after eating fish, and a few days later it happened when I ate the eggs. Eating these proteins with other fats/veggies helps, but I have had to cut way back on my consumption. I do eat raw cheeses and will be getting raw milk tomorrow. Any suggestions/insights would be fantastic!

Are you committed to staying raw? Is there a reason for this? A basic primal diet with lots of meats, fat, and veggies is a great way to control blood sugar.

I would suggest adding in cooked bone broths - chicken or beef bones simmered for hours with some veggies and liberal amounts of sea salts. They are really nutritious and highly digestible.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I eat the eggs raw blended up in a small 'shake', but I eat the fish lightly grilled in a Foreman grill unless I eat it sushi style. The broth concept sounds like a great idea- thank you!

Comment

Are you opposed to eating beef?
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Not necessarily, but I would probably want to start with seared steak and the like. The closer to raw the better... In my mind.

Comment

Good steak and snitchel are both pretty good when barely cooked.

Otherwise this could happen:
            Last edited by magicmerl; 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

You still need to work on the notion that "raw" is inherently better. With a few exceptions (beets, maybe carrots), vegetable nutrients are more bio-available when cooked, and less likely to come with any toxic stowaways. That applies even moreso to meat and eggs.

A variety of cooked and raw foods is really the way to go, especially if you're taken with the paleo concept. Humans were cooking their food at least as far back as a million years.
              “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                You still need to work on the notion that "raw" is inherently better. With a few exceptions (beets, maybe carrots), vegetable nutrients are more bio-available when cooked, and less likely to come with any toxic stowaways. That applies even moreso to meat and eggs.

A variety of cooked and raw foods is really the way to go, especially if you're taken with the paleo concept. Humans were cooking their food at least as far back as a million years.
                Exactly this.

Though I would never cook a melon or blueberries, I would'd a pig raw, or a mass of spring greens.

I saw a documentry with Dr Alice Roberts, that was looking at human evolution, she tried to eat half a days worth of calories from raw carrots and it took about 4 hours, then tried the same with cooked carrots, took less than an hour. Cooking food gave us the time to form social bonds, make tools etc etc, cows have to eat all day, you don't have to..

Like Chaohinon said, we evoloved from apes that were cooking, we have been cooking since before we were homo-erectus, let alone homo-sapien (snigger at erectus), I'm just not convinced there is any benifit to eating 100% raw, I eat plenty of raw food, but pelenty cooked too.
                You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

i was a raw foodist for 1.5 yrs (100%.) i have never been in worse health in my life. my health and body have improved tremendously since i have been primal. i really should write my story some time and send it to mark...

i still eat huge salads and lots of fresh greens, but i'm often shocked at how much animal protein i'm taking in. it took a while to break through from that "i'll try meat in moderation" to "complete and frequent indulgence." if you're tempted to try, just jump in as you feel comfortable! i do a lot of research when i make grassfed meat purchases and often visit the farms from the places i purchase. i felt/feel so much better about transitioning into carnivorism (omnivorism...but i really feel like a carnivore) when i know the animals have been raised and slaughtered humanely.

i will add something totally weird- eating this much animal has me feeling tied to the earth in this completely insane circle-of-life kinda way. good luck!
                  this wounded bear is gonna find ALL the answers...health, reveal thyself!!

Comment

Raw eggwhites can be pretty hard to digest (if you ate them raw that could have been upsetting your stomach?) So heat it till it turns white, but eat the egg yolk raw. That's also how egg tastes best IMO.

Try to eat a balance of both cooked and raw food and see how you feel. You don't have to be less advanced than some of our earliest ancestors
                    Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

When I make steak I cook it very low and slow. I put it in the oven at 275 degrees and the meat is ready when the internal temperature is 95 degrees. Then I pan sear it 2 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the other side and a little around all the edges. This results in a steak that appears almost raw but doesn't taste raw. It's basically turbo dry-aged. The connective tissues are dissolved and the fat is melted. The whole thing is tender and juicy. I know there are raw all-meat paleos out there, but in my mind, unless you do something to the meat to melt the connective tissues and other hard bits, you are ruining your meat.
                      Last edited by sbhikes; 06-26-2012, 06:40 AM.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Why exactly are you trying to emulate a chimp? Cooking has been going on since before there was Homo sapiens.

Comment

I like my eggs runny, my meat pulled from the fridge, shown the stove in terror and slapped on my plate. The chewwie bits on meat are what teeth are for. I have been eating bacon raw for 40 years with little impact on me that I can see. Veggies I like cooked 'cause I hate them hate them hate them and anything to make them go down faster is good.

What you eat cooked and or raw is up to you, everybody is different and only you know what you like.
                          Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
                            I like my eggs runny, my meat pulled from the fridge, shown the stove in terror and slapped on my plate. The chewwie bits on meat are what teeth are for. I have been eating bacon raw for 40 years with little impact on me that I can see. Veggies I like cooked 'cause I hate them hate them hate them and anything to make them go down faster is good.
                            I'll have to give raw bacon a try.

I eat quite a bit of wind-dried cod smeared thick with butter and I've tried Faroese fermented lamb meat (an...aquired taste that one). Raw seal liver is fairly soft to chew and tastes ok I guess although the Greenlanders eat it more like a snack out on the ice. Fermented herring (surström) and shark are good to go as well, ok except for the herring, vile, vile stuff in my opinion. Whale blubber pickled in whey is a delectable snack though supply outside of Iceland is an issue I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
                              Why exactly are you trying to emulate a chimp? Cooking has been going on since before there was Homo sapiens.
                              So, because we've been cooking for awhile cooked food is better? I don't eat a raw diet, but I have a hard time saying that humans were meant to eat cooked food. Raw Paleo Forum is a great place for anyone interested in a raw paleo diet.

Comment

Working...
                              X