Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best carbs to compliment eggs??

Hi all,

As a meal I usually have 2 whole eggs (scrambled) with 2 slices of wholewheat bread and a slice of low fat cheese.

I have just finished reading the Primal Blurprint and wan't to get rid of the bread but I have no idea what to replace it with?

For my meal later in the day I have sweet potatoes with meat, so I don't want to have those again (can't imagine it going well with eggs anyway).

Any suggestions for a nice meal with eggs and moderate amount of carbs?

I am training hard so I am not looking for a minimal carb diet, but I would rather they would be healthy and filling ones.

Originally posted by f12 View Post
    Hi all,

As a meal I usually have 2 whole eggs (scrambled) with 2 slices of wholewheat bread and a slice of low fat cheese.

I have just finished reading the Primal Blurprint and wan't to get rid of the bread but I have no idea what to replace it with?

For my meal later in the day I have sweet potatoes with meat, so I don't want to have those again (can't imagine it going well with eggs anyway).

Any suggestions for a nice meal with eggs and moderate amount of carbs?

I am training hard so I am not looking for a minimal carb diet, but I would rather they would be healthy and filling ones.
    Berries

Comment

Eggs, bacon with a fresh fruit finish.

Comment

Eggs are good on a bed of spinach or chinese cabbage.
        Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

If one's going to have fruit one may as well have plantain fried in palm-oil. Mmmm.
          All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Comment

Yeah I'll be eating banans and frozen berries mainly I think, will check those out too.

Is bacon okay to eat? Maybe I misread the book but I thought it was to be avoided? (or just assumed it was and over looked it)

Comment

Crispy fried onions.
              I second the spinach. Any kind of dark greens, really.
              Grilled/sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers.
              Cubed zuccini, sauteed in some coconut oil, with lots of oregano.
              Fried cauliflower leftovers.
              Grilled tomato halves.

Bacon, yes! Try a bacon weave: 3 slices of bacon, cut in half, woven into a little square grid(Weave directly in your cold frying pan, it makes it easier.) Cook until more than half way done, then carefully flip, utilizing your largest spatula and all your wits. Continue cooking until crispy(chewy doneness just doesn't work as well for this.) Serve under your eggs for a charming presentation, and as a side note, use two for an awesome BLT!

Comment

I've been making a vegetable hash to replace toast. I'll brown some onions and a bit of garlic in coconut oil, add some yellow pepper, bits of zucchini, mushrooms, S&P and a bit of shredded sweet potato, and cook until done.

I like topping it with salsa verde or chunks of avocado.

Comment

You could try sweet potatoes done in a home fries-esque style or yams for that matter.

My personal choice is actually tomatoes though. Most people don't think of them, but a good does contains a healthy amount of carbs (if not tuber-like levels), and I love it when I use fresh salsa on top of my omlette or fried eggs which adds a good ten or even more grams of carbs at the amount like to use from the hot peppers and tomatoes and onions, all of which are higher-sugar veggies.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Bacon is fine - but if you can sniff out uncured bacon, that's even better. I love Applegate Farms' Uncured Sunday Bacon. There's a smidge of cane syrup in there, but I happily count that as part of the 20%, because it's the best darn bacon I've had in a long time.

I typically have this for breakfast:

3 slices of bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces, cooked in its own fat; once mostly cooked, I add chopped onion or scallion, chopped mushroom and chopped bell pepper; after about a minute or two, I add three beaten eggs (pasture-raised) with a dash of black pepper and dill weed, then I scramble everything up. Served with a mug of black coffee and a large glass of water to wash down my vitamins. Nom!
                    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

I know you said you have sweet potato later in the day, but sweet potatoes are great with eggs! I've made a hash out of them and sometimes I just put a fried egg or two on top of the sweet potato with some salt. Yummy

Comment

Uh, hashbrowns?
                        "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Sweet potato home fries are awesome!

I also LOVE eggs scrambled with onions. One of my favorites.

Comment

Rice cakes!
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

White rice spaghetti, sweet potatoes or green peas with omelette/scrambled/fried eggs or soaked/sprouted legumes with boiled eggs.

Comment

Working...
                              X