Conversation With the Dr Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversation With the Dr Today

I am sure I have a bladder infection, so I head to the clinic and here is the conversation I have with the doctor.

Dr: comes in and looks at me: “Did you eat breakfast today?”

Me: “yes” (the truth is I didn't eat until noon, but it is Saturday)

Dr: “Are you lying to me?”

Me: “No” (a little indignantly)

Dr: “your urine is full of ketones”

Me: I look at her like I have no idea what she is talking about (I am thinking “of course it is, I am limiting the amount of carbohydrates I am eating so that I can lose weight,” but I don't say that)

Dr: “usually when we see that much ketone it means you are starving” (obviously she is not looking at me when she says that) “or you're diabetic, and there is absolutely no sugar in your sample. When did you eat?”

Me: “a least an hour ago, maybe more”

Dr: “What did you have?”

Me: “a sort of frittata thing with spinach, arugula, a bit of ham and some cheese melted on top”

Dr: “okay” (not sounding convinced) “well, you do have an infection...” and she carries on with that...and then mentions it again how I'm obviously not a diabetic, but there are ketones there...

too funny
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Ketone police much? lol!!!

Comment

Wow, I don't know what to say. Are you too skinny?
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

That is awesome!
        Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

Good grief - that is one militant doc. I had ketones in my urine for about 3 months (had kidney stones so they were checking a lot). No one ever said a word about it!
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Susceptibility to infections is correlated with high ketone levels. They are especially associated with UTIs.

Sounds like your doc knows her shit and was just looking out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              Wow, I don't know what to say. Are you too skinny?
              Not at 165 lbs and 5'9". I can wrap my hands around a couple of good love handles yet.
              Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post
                Susceptibility to infections is correlated with high ketone levels. They are especially associated with UTIs.

I think that is only the case when ketones are correlated with high sugar in the urine.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post

I have always been susceptible to uti. Had many, many, many over the years. I have been peeing ketones (when I check) since the end of January and not had an infection until now. The thing is she didn't say anything to me about a correlation between the two. I'm also not upset with her, most doctors, as you say, are just looking out for your best. I thought it was funny how she acted like she couldn't understand the reason for the presence of the ketones without sugar.
                  Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Try getting some D-mannose.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-D-Mann...ords=d-mannose

I'm on a med that causes kidney/urine problems... plus I've always been susceptible to UTIs.

I don't want to have to take antibiotics frequently like is common on this med (because A. who does, and B. I'm at least mildly reactive to most of them and the more I take them the less will be available for a possible REAL need someday)... so I work hard to keep the urinary tract and kidneys as clean as possible.

The D-mannose, I think the one I take also has some cranberry in it, put the stop to a UTI that was developing when I started it. Since then I take one gel cap morning and night with my regular meds and other supplements to fight off med side effects.
                    The occasion when I felt the UTI coming on... I took more than the "daily recommended". 4 at lunch then 2 more at bed, then for two days after I took 2 both morning and night to make sure it was cleared out. The first day I had also taken some Cystex for the pain/urgency until I could get to the HFS and get the D-mannose in me.
                    I've been taking this med since Christmas and haven't had a single UTI... I should have had several by now. Even my doctor is pretty amazed that my kidneys etc are behaving so well with the dosage I'm on.
                    Though I don't doubt that not eating the common SAD foods... sugars, sodas, processed foods and such that also help contribute to UTIs has helped as well.
                    Last edited by cori93437; 06-23-2012, 11:49 PM.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Thanks for that cori.... I agree with you, taking antibiotics is something I hate doing, so I am always vigilant about preventing infections in other ways (i.e. cleanliness etc.), but I should research some possible supplementation.
                      Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

O.K. so now I am confused as I read from another post that "Turning sticks dark pink would suggest your body is not USING the ketones for energy and signifies a problem". I believe it was teach2183 who said this and I did ask in that thread what this meant but got no reply. So if carbs are low enough to be in ketosis will this show in your urine or not? and if they do then is that normal. My sticks show pink to purple for the last month but I haven't lost any weight.

Comment

Why bother lying?....you don't have anything to hide.
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Why bother lying?....you don't have anything to hide.
                            You mean me? I didn't lie, I did eat breakfast - at noon. I suppose acting like I didn't know what she was talking about is a lie...well, I didn't want to get into it with her (she's the clinic Dr, not my regular GP), and I really had to pee baaaad!

It will be interesting the next time I am at my gp in August and have some blood work done. (I have half a thyroid so they are always checking.) My cholesterol has always been really, really low, (drs love it, and I thought I should too) so I am curious to see if it has gone up and if my gp will be concerned about that. Then yes, there will be a discussion if she makes an issue out of it. Especially now that I have also lost 18 pounds and have been as high as 210 (1990-1995).

Thanks for prodding me to honesty.
                            Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Originally posted by ilovedogs View Post
                              O.K. so now I am confused as I read from another post that "Turning sticks dark pink would suggest your body is not USING the ketones for energy and signifies a problem". I believe it was teach2183 who said this and I did ask in that thread what this meant but got no reply. So if carbs are low enough to be in ketosis will this show in your urine or not? and if they do then is that normal. My sticks show pink to purple for the last month but I haven't lost any weight.
                              I don't know enough about the intricacies of the mechanism, except that yes, if your sticks are pink to purple you are in ketosis, and it is what you want if your goal is to lose weight. As far as my understanding goes this is not a problem if your urine is also not full of sugar. You might need to search some other threads for more information. You might also start a thread with your specific question, including what you eat, your goals, and how much you weigh, height, and sex. Other people here are far more knowledgeable than I am and they will be able to pinpoint why you might not be losing.
                              Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Working...
                              X