No announcement yet.

High fiber veggies? I need more fiber!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High fiber veggies? I need more fiber!

I know some here feel eating a high fiber diet is over-rated. But, personally, I have discovered I just really need it. Before eating primal I ate a lot of high fiber whole grain foods and legumes. I never, ever had bowel issues. I was always very regular, things moved easily and like clockwork. Since eating primal things are not so happy down south. I get constipation frequently, or it's like little rocks. Neither is pleasant. I've never had hemorrhoids in my life and really don't want to find out what they're like. But I fear that, with these digestive issues, I'm going to find out soon if I don't do something.
    I try to eat a lot of veggies, big salads for lunch, 2-3 servings of veggies with dinner, fruit for snacks. But it just isn't enough, apparently. Let's face it, ounce per ounce, whole grains and beans have more fiber than vegetables. I used to eat an egg sandwich on whole grain toast for breakfast. A good 10 grams of fiber. I would have a bean burrito on a whole grain tortilla for lunch. That one burrito gave me 13 grams of fiber. I'd have to eat 4 entire bags of spinach each day to get that much fiber. I just can't do that. I like spinach, but not by the bucketful.
    So, what can I do? Is there any super-fiber veggie I can add to my diet? I don't want to eat prunes or other dried fruit because of the high sugar content. Drinking glasses of Metamucil or popping fiber pills is not really the way to go either. Other suggestions?

Two of the highest fiber primal approved veggies are avocado and artichoke actually.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Oh, and cabbage is good too. If you get it in the form of sauerkraut you combine good fiber with some great probiotics as well.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I'm with the OP. Like little rocks. Wiped blood yesterday.
        Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

What are your macro levels?

As far as an answer goes, one I've seen before is to eat more fat.
          turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Originally posted by Grafter View Post
            What are your macro levels?
            I don't know. I just try to eat natural whole foods. I don't obsess about percentages. I try to just eat the same amount of meat/poultry/fish I ate before but replacing my grain portions with veggies and/or fruit. I switched from Smart Balance to real butter, from vegetable oil to olive oil or coconut oil. Toss in a handful of nuts now and then.

Comment

What is your fat intake? If your fat level is too low, you will not be able to go. Could you give us an example of your daily food intake, broken up as it would be throughout the day. Also your stats (age, gender, height and weight).

Cheers.

Comment

Fiber here is not the answer. You need to increase your fat intake.

Comment

common complaint when going paleo. I started taking 300mg of magnesium twice a day, two weeks later I am now regular again.
                  I'll be back

Comment

I strongly support to consume fiber protein than animal protein where there is no side effect of this.

Comment

I also had the same issues. A couple of tablespoons of coconut oiled downed daily between meals certainly fixed the problem for me!

Comment

Originally posted by BigJilm View Post
                        common complaint when going paleo. I started taking 300mg of magnesium twice a day, two weeks later I am now regular again.
                        Interesting that,
                        Are you still taking the magnesium?
                        I am interested in this aspect of the fibre vs fat issue, is it that some individuals are biased toward a plant heavy ideal & others to an animal based ideal diet.
                        I am working toward getting more variety & plant based foods into the mix for the fibre and nutrient perspective, take a tablespoon (in a glass of water) of psylium husks daily for added solouble fibre, but would like to get back just to std foodstuffs.

I find it is strange to see paleo posts about veganism being wrong because they need to supplement Vitamin B 12, but then where does Magnesium or other non constipation aids fit in with Paleo diets?
                        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Omni - I'm not sure about others and I do have beef with veganism as a belief system, but what I think what most people are getting at when they say veganism = wrong is that in the sphere of all food they can eat (which is again limited by their choice), there are almost no sources of B12. And there are a host of vitamins, minerals, as well as saturated fats that vegans would have to work into their diet by eating specific or 'fortified' foods. I think that veganism may work for some, if they are knowledgeable and if they supplement, or if they are genetic outliers, which are some pretty big ifs.

On the other hand, primal, paleo, paleo 2.0, or whatever we want to call what most people do around here, there are a lot less limitations in what we can eat. I choose not to eat certain things that are high in certain minerals (like magnesium), because of limited availability, not wanting to eat the same thing daily, cost, or some combination there of. But, that is my choice and I could do so. Instead, I supplement, which is fine as you could say that it is either covered by the 80/20 issue or that I'm modifying the diet to work for me.
                          turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

The reason why people supplement with things like magnesium is because it's no longer in the soil, so it doesn't ever make it into the food. The joys of massive monocropping - food just ain't what it used to be.

OP, I know you've heard it before, but fiber really isn't the wonder it's made out to be. Honestly, it helped land me in the ER 7 or 8 months ago, and it wasn't pretty. It's like if you have a logjam in your intestines, then start throwing more logs on until they're finally forced down the river. Sure, they're eventually going to start moving, but you're going to do some serious damage on the way.

Better idea? Either up your fat intake or start taking some magnesium. Added benefit - if you're at all prone to migraines, magnesium does wonders for that too. I hardly ever get them now, and on the rare occasion that I do, they're nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

Check out Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults if you want more information on how to get things moving and what a healthy gut really is.
                            Durp.

Comment

If you are serious about improving your long-term digestive system health (vs. a short-term fix, like fiber, which will likely lead to serious and irreversible consequences in the following years), I'd suggest doing a little reading of these sites:

Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

GUT FLORA

I have been slowly, but successfully healing my long term (6+ years) constipation, bloating, and abdominal pain by following the protocols on these sites in the last few months.

The websites will explain why, but in a nutshell, the most important things you can do for your digestive system are:
                              1) Improve your gut flora through the use of probiotics and fermented/cultured foods
                              2) Increase healthy fat intake
                              3) Keep fiber low

Additionally, there are some other things you can take to help your system produce BM until it is strong enough to function correctly without you having to shove tons of indigestible crap down there. Large doses of vitamin C (taken in smaller doses throughout the day to avoid irritating the stomach) and magnesium are two great supplements that will help, without producing the cramps or dependence associated with laxatives.

I fell for the high fiber CW lies, and after years of it keeping me regular as clockwork, I spontaneously developped IBS. Fiber works...until is doesn't. Then you're screwed.

Comment

Working...
                              X