No announcement yet.

High fiber veggies? I need more fiber!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sometimes drink a tea called "Smooth Move". Its great tasting and helps with that issue.

Comment

sorry but this is illogical. Fiber is not necessary for proper bowel movement, it helps but you dont need a ton. if youre getting constipated its for other reasons, it could be youre eating too much meat, not digesting your fat properly, having allowed your system to get used to the higher amounts yet, perhaps you are too low carb? or you are are getting something else in the diet thats irritating you. it could also be stress, bad sleep, not enough magnesium, i mean i could go on and on and on. dont say its fiber when you changed a huge amount of things in your life. experiment, start tracking yourself and remove/add things.

Comment

Prunes kinda failed on me, but cabbage gave me a solid one at last.
        Use spices!
        Drink up and vary your food.
        Magnesium and all - I don't believe a single macro nutrient is what causing me a blockage.
        Oh, and keep away from bananas. They block me bad.
        Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

The book, Fiber Menace, goes into far more detail than the website, and in the book he mentions that we should try to keep fiber at a daily max of 10-15 grams per day for someone with a functioning digestive system, but recommends that you may want to shoot for a lower amount if you have serious problems and are in the state where you are trying to make some repairs.

Look, you can take or leave the advice. If you don't want to believe fiber is the antichrist, by all means keep shoving it down, I won't be offended. As someone who has been where you are, as someone who relied and believed in fiber myself for years, I certainly understand the confusion.

It takes YEARS for excessive fiber to stretch out a colon until it gets to a point where it only responds to bowel movements when it is increasingly stretched out further and further (the walls of the colon are pressure sensitive)...then eventually some inflammation sets in, which leads to more inflammation as it's further irritated by fiber, and then you have a self-perpetuating cycle that becomes increasingly more difficult/impossible to rectify once it's too late.

Going low-fiber and taking lots of probiotics won't fix this problem overnight, just like it didn't take 1 day to stretchout that colon to begin with. But slowly, over weeks and months, it will get better, and you will get to a point where you don't have to rely on external short-term fixes to make your system function correctly.

I am proof of this, and after 6 years of experimenting with everything under the sun from OTC laxatives, enemas, and yes: FIBER, I am finally reaching the pearly gates of regularity; and my body can now do this quite easily without fiber. I never thought I could get to this place, and I'm so glad I let go of the CW that kept convincing me to increase the fiber, because I can now see that it was all that fiber that screwed me to begin with (in addition to insufficient gut flora).

Just like the SAD takes years to catch up with you, so does fiber, and when it does, there's a window of time where you can actually reverse the damage. No, it's not a quick and easy process, but it's the difference between healing long-building damage vs. masking the problem temporarily.

Comment

BestBetter
            I obviously haven't read the "Fiber Menace" and I do appreciate your insight on this topic, I don't have any particular problems with BM that I am aware of yet, most of my fibre intake comes from fruit & veg and a little bit of psylium husks occassionally.
            This discussion on fibre has sprung forth some different thought patterns for me, although I do believe our bodies should be able to handle a variety of dietary intakes including more or less fibre, I can see how fibre can be a major problem particularly with poor gut flora. From what I have read, in a healthy gut most of the soluble fibre is completly diigested and up to 50% of insoluble fibre is digested, so in this situation there shouldn't be much of an issue with excessive intestinal pressure.
            But if the gut flora is malfunctioning, then this would definately result in significant damage by trying to force undigested fibre down the intestinal tract, creating just the type of scenario described in the book.
            As there are Inuit who subsist primarily on meat & fat, there are also other societies who subsist primarily on plant foods and would inherently have high fibre intakes and are listed amongst some of the longest living people in the world.
            So I come from a place where I have seen many different issues pointed to as the "greatest menace", which includes, Gluten, Lectins, Carbohydrates, Fructose, Vegetable oils, Trans fats, Candida, Leaky Gut, Environmental Toxins, Stress etc. etc. & now Fibre as well. I see overall health issues more as the confluence of some or all of these factors to create the "Perfect Storm" which then assults the body & manifests in one of the many Western diseases which continually seem to overtake each other as the latest epidemic.
            I will continue reading up on this aspect of fibre damage as I do think it will form another part of the jigsaw puzzle for me.
            "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

I believe proper hydration is a key factor. For beneficial fiber I would suggest raw unsweetened coconut or coconut flour. Chia seeds are another healthy source.

Comment

After reading some from the linked sites I think my issue may be gut flora. I was on a long round of antibiotics a while back. That's been 6 months or more, though, since I took them so I thought my gut flora would have naturally recovered over time by now. But maybe not. Our food is too sterile with all the processing and preservatives. Even eating primal where processed and preserved foods are avoided, fresh foods are still usually thoroughly washed and/or cooked and likely have little bacteria in them. Perhaps I've not eaten anything since those antibiotics to provide sufficient bacterial re-colonization. I can't eat yogurt so I'll order some probiotic supplements and see if that helps.
                According to one of those sites linked here, drinking more water does not help with constipation unless you are dehydrated. Since I live in the cool, damp northwest dehydration is not generally a problem here. I shouldn't have to drink when I'm not thirsty in order to keep bowels moving. Since humans evolved in equatorial Africa where water availability is limited much of the year, I don't believe we're designed to need to drink lots of water all day.

Comment

If you read the comments from Mark's post about Yerba Mate, people are fond of saying that it keeps them regular. It has certainly helped me by increasing the efficiency of my digestion (far more rapid), which translates overall, into increased digestive health. Your mileage may vary, but give it a try before you knock it.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Years ago when the water craze started I was listening to a sports & fitness show ("Run like you stole something") and on the topic one of the scientists commented that the Human body has an excellent regulatory mechanism on hydration,
                    simply "Thirst", your body will tell you if it wants water.
                    I have never believed in the 8 glasses a day philosophy.
                    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by oorewayunc
                      If your fat level is too low, you will not be able to go. Could you give us an example of your daily food intake, broken up as it would be throughout the day. Also your stats (age, gender, height and weight).
                      I did in post #21 and #28

Comment

I'm not sure if it has been said yet, but I did notice that someone said something about magnesium and not wanting to take a pill.
                        Magnesium is actually best absorbed through the skin, either a foot soak or a bath. Epsom salts are magnesium based, or you can purchase bath salts with magnesium in them from health food stores.

Comment

Working...
                        X