Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High cholesterol, should I avoid foods with cholesterol (liver, eggs etc.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High cholesterol, should I avoid foods with cholesterol (liver, eggs etc.)

I've been primal for a couple years now and found out that I have high cholesterol, likely due to a depressed thyroid from too much fasting and low carbing. I always see people touting the benefits of eating liver, but I'm unsure if I should be avoiding it in my situation.
    Last edited by Kilian; 06-22-2012, 06:21 PM.

Have a sweet potato on the side with your liver and onions. Dietary cholesterol doesn't cause high blood cholesterol.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      Have a sweet potato on the side with your liver and onions. Dietary cholesterol doesn't cause high blood cholesterol.
      Yes, but that's not my question. I'm asking if dietary cholesterol may cause further damage to somebody who already has high blood cholesterol...

Comment

You don't absorb the majority of dietary cholesterol you eat, so don't be too worried.

Now, if you ate a diet of PURE cholesterol, you might get enough to effect levels...
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

What do your numbers looks like?
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
            What do your numbers looks like?
            Link is in my sig

Comment

-There is a gene that can cause dietary intake of cholesterol to impact circulating cholesterol levels - it is a subset of the ApoE gene. You can be tested to see if that is the case for you. If you have that, I would move towards a lower fat cordain style paleo diet.

-I would request a coronary calcium scan to see if you have any deposits in your arteries so you can get a sense of what you may need to do.

-Do you drink unfiltered coffee? If so, maybe get rid of that as it can raise LDL for some people.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Your TC is over 500? Have you been visiting Chris Kresser's or Chris Masterjohn's website? They probably have more info of use to you there.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

To answer the question, the liver will modulate cholesterol production to account for cholesterol ingestion. Note that bile from the liver, via the gall bladder, takes a big load of cholesterol to the intestine at every meal. Cholesterol is then reabsorbed, but only as much as the body thinks it needs. Thus reducing your cholesterol intake will have no effect on blood cholesterol. Your liver will just make up for any perceived deficit.

This means you need to understand why your cholesterol is high to know how to reduce it
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Speaking as someone with a thyoid disorder, low thyoid hormone can really mess up your cholesterol. In fact high cholesterol is one of the diagnosing symptoms. When I started taking Synthroid my cholesterol went back to a normal level.

Comment

Keep eating liver. And low carb has nothing to do with hypothyroidism as per an actual disease of the thyroid. Low calorie on the other hand naturally will cause a reduced thyroid output which is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilian View Post
                        Yes, but that's not my question. I'm asking if dietary cholesterol may cause further damage to somebody who already has high blood cholesterol...
                        No. There is actuallhy a small percent of the population that dietary cholesterol does effect it, but without knowing numbers and history hard to say you are one. Either case high cholesterol has a poor correlation with determining health status so I find it irrelevant unless we are talking VERY high numbers that have been verified on at least 3 seperate tests.

Comment

High dietary cholesterol can be a cause of high blood cholesterol. Even when the liver synthesises zero cholesterol in response to a high dietary intake, any excess cholesterol originating from the diet has to be excreted by the liver via the bile ducts into the digestive tract. Phytosterols in olive oil and vegetables block the reabsorption of this cholesterol into the bloodstream.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                            High dietary cholesterol can be a cause of high blood cholesterol. Even when the liver synthesises zero cholesterol in response to a high dietary intake, any excess cholesterol originating from the diet has to be excreted by the liver via the bile ducts into the digestive tract. Phytosterols in olive oil and vegetables block the reabsorption of this cholesterol into the bloodstream.
                            If this is true, people should immediately stop using this forum to give/receive advice regarding their cholesterol numbers and diet. I have value for this forum and have learned a lot. But, telling someone not to worry about their high cholesterol and/or telling them they can eat a cholesterol rich diet seems dangerous and irresponsible.
                            Last edited by Artbuc; 06-24-2012, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X