Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grass Fed Beef... How much of a difference did it make to you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass Fed Beef... How much of a difference did it make to you?

I've been primal for a 1-2 months now and after shedding at least 20 lbs the first few weeks I haven't lost any the past two+ weeks (normally I don't weigh myself this often but after losing weight for the first time in a few years, you get excited). Due to inconvenience, I actually did not start buying grass fed beef until today. I did find an alternative grocer who sells them but others I ran into were very vegetarian oriented and only had small selection of the grain fed variety. To give you a rough idea I was on strictly primal foods for 90/10 of the time. Since I'm so new in the process there are several different tweaks I could make and most of my answers will come from trial and error. My activity level has dipped since I've been recently preoccupied with finishing projects/papers for school and finals week begins on Monday. I was at least 340 when I started am now at 320.

That being said my question is how much of a difference would it make now that I can reliably obtain grass fed meat and get completely off grain fed meats?

Tristonian. I can't comment much on the meat situation (as I'm still on most grain), but just wanted to say "Welcome" and great to hear you're dropping fat. I started 3 weeks ago at 340 myself. Look forward to seeing how things go for you. Good luck!
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

In weight loss, probably nothing. In inflammation reduction and all the goodness that better O3:O6 ratios give you, you'll get some value there.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I've heard of people with corn allergies say they're able to tell pretty quickly which it is because they have a reaction if it's corn fed or finished.

As far as everyone else, I would assume the quality would be much better, but maybe not noticeable in how you feel.
        Durp.

Comment

WAY more filling. You'll notice you eat much less.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
            I've heard of people with corn allergies say they're able to tell pretty quickly which it is because they have a reaction if it's corn fed or finished.

As far as everyone else, I would assume the quality would be much better, but maybe not noticeable in how you feel.
            Ok that's just silly. I don't think you'll find any kernels of corn in your steak.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilian View Post
              Ok that's just silly. I don't think you'll find any kernels of corn in your steak.
              I have no clue if it's true or not, but according to someone with a pretty severe corn allergy, they had been buying grass fed and finished for years. Then she started getting ill and it turns out then the butcher had recently switched to grass fed and corn finished because the prices had gone up so much.

I don't know if the allergens could somehow end up stored in the fat or not. I'm pretty insensitive to corn myself.
              Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by tristonian View Post
                I've been primal for a 1-2 months now and after shedding at least 20 lbs the first few weeks I haven't lost any the past two+ weeks (normally I don't weigh myself this often but after losing weight for the first time in a few years, you get excited). Due to inconvenience, I actually did not start buying grass fed beef until today. I did find an alternative grocer who sells them but others I ran into were very vegetarian oriented and only had small selection of the grain fed variety. To give you a rough idea I was on strictly primal foods for 90/10 of the time. Since I'm so new in the process there are several different tweaks I could make and most of my answers will come from trial and error. My activity level has dipped since I've been recently preoccupied with finishing projects/papers for school and finals week begins on Monday. I was at least 340 when I started am now at 320.

That being said my question is how much of a difference would it make now that I can reliably obtain grass fed meat and get completely off grain fed meats?
                If weight loss is your priority, I don't think grassfed is going to make much difference for you. Its definitely healthier, but it sounds like you're eating for weight loss, not optimal health.
                Sandra
                *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Well, grass-fed beef DOES tend to be a bit leaner, so it will trim calories in that respect, but I don't think it'll make much difference...

That said, for a ton of OTHER reasons, I'd still eat it.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I agree with the others, much better for you. Not to mention, tastes SO MUCH BETTER!

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                      I agree with the others, much better for you. Not to mention, tastes SO MUCH BETTER!
                      This is the biggest selling point for me. After eating grass-fed beef for so long, anything else tastes like grocery store roast beef or a sandwich from Arbys...yuck.

Comment

I second RitaRose. I had a customer of the little co-op I used to run in NJ, she had numerous severe allergies. Food, chemicals, you name it. She was hospitalized several times while I knew her - I used to deliver to her house because she was close to a shut-in. You have never seen such a non-allergenic living space in your life. From the flooring to the bedding, all adjusted to her allergies.

She DID need to be very careful to source meats from sources that didn't use grains. Chicken, for her, was the hardest of all. I couldn't help her with the meats 'cause I was a produce and dry goods co-op.

My own daughter is celiac. Some bodies just are that horrendously sensitive.
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just to clarify I am seeking to improve my health, didn't mean to imply I was pursuing weight loss at the expense of my health.

Comment

One of the points of this diet is to increase the amount of whole, real foods in your diet. But you also need to pay attention to the diet of the animals that you eat. You want to eat the meat of an animal that is raised on its natural diet, not a diet that is cheap and convenient for the industrial food chain. I don't need any studies, or scientific evidence or anecdotes from other eaters to understand the truth of this basic principle.

Comment

The fat in feedlot beef is more like something you'd snake out of a blocked drain, not something you look forward to snarfing down right off the grill. I raised some 100% grass/hay fed beef and the flavor was amazing, but they were tough buggers. Might have been because they roughoused 90% of the time they weren't sleeping or eating. I prefer grass-fed grain-sweetened beef as a compromise. A place near us raises Highland cattle that way and they taste great without being soggy or greasy like feedlot garbage.
                              Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

Working...
                              X