Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lacking Calories But Not Hungry For More

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lacking Calories But Not Hungry For More

    From tracking my meals I've found that I only eat on average about 1500 calories a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Apparently an average female should be eating 2000, but at the same time I know less attention is put on calories when primal (I think). Should I be eating more? I am never hungry for any more than that, but then I've never had much of an appetite, partly due to undereating as a teenager.

    For more information I'm 5'7" and 126lb. I do have problems with energy and motivation, and it just occurred to me today that it might have something to do with my calorie intake, or lack thereof. Should I pay any attention to the calories or just stick with what my appetite says?

  • #2
    Who says that an 'average female' should be eating 2000 cal a day?

    Ignore all that nonsense you may read. First of all, none of us are 'average.' I happen to be 70 years old, 146 lbs, and hypothyroid. If I ate 1500 cal a day, I'd gain rapidly. Most women I know who are your size eat 1200-1800 cal a day; it all depends on the individual.

    If you're not hungry, don't eat! If you find yourself losing or gaining weight, that's the time to check on your calories. But if you're not hungry and maintaining your weight, just enjoy your primal eating.

    Comment


    • #3
      I eat anywhere between 900 & 2000 cals. Follow your hunger cues. Eat whole foods. Try not to overthink it.
      --Trish (Bork)
      TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
      http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
      FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • #4
        if you're not hungry for more... how do you know you're lacking?

        Comment


        • #5
          When I started being primal I too underestimated my calories, I thought I was getting plenty but they were as low as yours - discovered after counting calories on leangains - I was still losing fat but have since been increasing my calories and have gone up to 1000+ more than before and still losing so must keep on eating more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
            I eat anywhere between 900 & 2000 cals. Follow your hunger cues. Eat whole foods. Try not to overthink it.
            Agreed. I follow the "eat when you're hungry, and don't eat when you're not." Some days you'll eat more and some days you'll eat less. The only question I have is about your lack of motivation/energy. When I first started, I didn't have much energy (didn't really go through carb flu). I increased my fat intake and the energy came along with it. I would suggest that you check to make sure you're getting enough fat (some people can tolerate high fat, others can't, so listen to your body).

            Comment


            • #7
              I am about the same height and weight as you are and 1600 is my maintenance while lifting, sprinting, gardening, walking and doing every other active thing I could cram in my day without dropping down from fatigue by 10 am. That 'average' is a wet dream of some fantasist. *My* wet dream is to eat 1500 and not be hungry....
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi annana, I am about the same size and weight as you and i usually ate about 1200-1400cal per day while playing tennis, jogging, weight lifting most of the days.. It seems to that I am eating a bit too much... so I guess its really up to individuall

                Anyway, I wanted to ask, does any one of you have problems with "eat when you're hungry, and don't eat when you're not"?
                If i were to go buy that logic, i tend to overeat (literally every 2 hours I would want to munch on things)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Isabel1989 View Post
                  Anyway, I wanted to ask, does any one of you have problems with "eat when you're hungry, and don't eat when you're not"?
                  If i were to go buy that logic, i tend to overeat (literally every 2 hours I would want to munch on things)

                  It's important to learn to differentiate between physical hunger and psychological hunger. There are also different levels of physical hunger. "Wanting to munch on things" is not the same as being truly hungry and filling up with a satisfying, nutritious meal.

                  Its not ideal to nibble and graze at the slightest twinge of hunger. Its not ideal to snack to keep true hunger at bay.

                  When I'm eating optimally (it fluctuates, nobody's perfect), I do not fear hunger. As long as I have a plan for my next eating opportunity (aka - when I'm hungry) then I have no problem waiting for true hunger. I can delay eating (fast) if I'm away from home for short periods of time, without panicking about where my next meal is going to come from. Its only when I don't have a plan, that I find myself hunting and nibbling at whatever's in the house, or worse...buying something non primal when I'm out and about.

                  I love food so much, it really pissed me off when I transitioned to primal and was rarely hungry.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

                  There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

                  DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Isabel1989 View Post
                    Anyway, I wanted to ask, does any one of you have problems with "eat when you're hungry, and don't eat when you're not"?
                    If i were to go buy that logic, i tend to overeat (literally every 2 hours I would want to munch on things)
                    I have issues with this. Coming from a very high carb diet and being very physically active, I was used to eating every couple of hours. I was constantly munching on something. What I have found now is that most times when I want to snack, it's more out of habit than necessity. I have been working on this very thing myself, because I was muching on nuts, greek yogurt, fruit in between meals A LOT, and my meals are pretty big, so I really didn't need to eat all that food....but for awhile I was convinced that I did need to eat all that food, lol!!

                    It's a hard habit to break for sure. By far the worst time for me is at night. Sometimes I get through to bedtime without snacks, sometimes I don't. One thing that helps is to not have snacks around that are so easy for me to eat. I stopped buying nuts, greek yogurt and tons of fruit and instead bought olives to snack on if I feel actual hunger before my meal time.

                    Also, even if I do feel hunger, it's not the shakey, nauseating, grouchy, blood sugar has hit rock bottom kind of hunger that I used to feel before I went Primal. Like today, I had a small lunch and worked out, so I was feeling hungry around 4pm, but I was able to hold off until my dinner at 7 with no problem and no snacks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                      I have issues with this. Coming from a very high carb diet and being very physically active, I was used to eating every couple of hours. I was constantly munching on something. What I have found now is that most times when I want to snack, it's more out of habit than necessity. I have been working on this very thing myself, because I was muching on nuts, greek yogurt, fruit in between meals A LOT, and my meals are pretty big, so I really didn't need to eat all that food....but for awhile I was convinced that I did need to eat all that food, lol!!

                      It's a hard habit to break for sure. By far the worst time for me is at night. Sometimes I get through to bedtime without snacks, sometimes I don't. One thing that helps is to not have snacks around that are so easy for me to eat. I stopped buying nuts, greek yogurt and tons of fruit and instead bought olives to snack on if I feel actual hunger before my meal time.

                      Also, even if I do feel hunger, it's not the shakey, nauseating, grouchy, blood sugar has hit rock bottom kind of hunger that I used to feel before I went Primal. Like today, I had a small lunch and worked out, so I was feeling hungry around 4pm, but I was able to hold off until my dinner at 7 with no problem and no snacks.
                      Wow! reading yours and Sandra's post made me realise i am snacking out of habit plus i am not realising what is true hunger instead of psychological hunger. In that case I better kick that habit soon! Thx for sharing! Really enlightening

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ive been primal for three months and found I was comfortably getting by on around 1000 cals a day (my BMR is 2000). But slowly I became lethargic, really struggled with physical activity and stopped losing weight.

                        I upped my intake through nuts and higher fat intake and now have huge energy levels and am losing again.
                        I'll be back

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
                          Also, even if I do feel hunger, it's not the shakey, nauseating, grouchy, blood sugar has hit rock bottom kind of hunger that I used to feel before I went Primal. Like today, I had a small lunch and worked out, so I was feeling hungry around 4pm, but I was able to hold off until my dinner at 7 with no problem and no snacks.

                          Actual HUNGER, not the low blood sugar we used to confuse with hunger. I've experienced the same thing!! I can actually be hungry AND energetic at the same time.
                          Sandra
                          *My obligatory intro

                          There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

                          DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've been primal for a year and a half now, and have since doing so have never felt the need to snack. The reason I was wondering is because I know that People who are underweight and therefore under-eat tend to be unable to eat more. They just don't feel hungry for more as they aren't used to it, in which case only eating when they are hungry isn't good for them. This is why I was wondering if it was maybe the same case for me. I never usually pay attentention to calories, but it was just a thought.

                            I have also quit sugar to see if that will help with my lack of energy and motivation, but I'm only on day 15. If that doesn't work I'll try eliminating dairy. I am also trying to get rid of adrenal fatigue which I'm pretty sure I must have.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Annana View Post
                              I've been primal for a year and a half now, and have since doing so have never felt the need to snack. The reason I was wondering is because I know that People who are underweight and therefore under-eat tend to be unable to eat more. They just don't feel hungry for more as they aren't used to it, in which case only eating when they are hungry isn't good for them. This is why I was wondering if it was maybe the same case for me. I never usually pay attentention to calories, but it was just a thought.

                              I have also quit sugar to see if that will help with my lack of energy and motivation, but I'm only on day 15. If that doesn't work I'll try eliminating dairy. I am also trying to get rid of adrenal fatigue which I'm pretty sure I must have.
                              If you're eating sugar, then you're not primal, or do you mean sugar from fruit?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X