How bad are the crappy oils?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad are the crappy oils?

Yesterday I at a bunch of tootsie rolls. Not primal, I know, but I'm not super fussy about small cheats.

I woke up last night with swelling and stiffness in my hands and knees. (I have rheumatoid arthritis which is dramatically improved with primal eating). I was trying to figure out what I could have done to cause a flare and then remembered the tootsie rolls. I looked up the ingredients and they are made of partially hydrogenated soybean oil with some sugar and flavorings! Yikes!

I ate about 5 of them. Not the tiny ones, the middle sized ones.

Is it possible that much soybean oil could cause inflammation? Or is it just a co-incidence? If it is the oils, I need to be more strict about eating places that cook in crappy oils.

Thanks!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Yeah, it does for me, too. Just two or three evil cookies can hurt my hip, knees and hands and cause boils to erupt on my face and back. Takes up to a week to recover, but usually most is gone by day three or four.

Dandelion tea will fight it like a boss.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

oh man, of all the neolithic no-no's, the crap oils are the worst. and the hydrogenated crap oils are the worst of the worst. i'd rather eat wheat sandwiches with sugar syrup.

Comment

This is how "healthy" canola oil is made:
        How It's Made - Canola Oil - YouTube

This is without hydrogenation. Nuff said.

Comment

I agree that omega 6 is evilous.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Does anyone have an idea of the mechanism by which these fats can trigger inflammation so quickly?
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

The unsaturated bonds make them burn far less cleanly than saturated fats.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

eicosanoid signalling, too.

Comment

I don't think it's just the oils, if I eat sugar, I feel my arthritis almost immediately from the inflammation caused by sugar. The combination of the sugar and the oils would be deadly in terms of inflammation.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                    The unsaturated bonds make them burn far less cleanly than saturated fats.
                    So has the byproduct of the "less clean" burning been identified?

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                      I don't think it's just the oils, if I eat sugar, I feel my arthritis almost immediately from the inflammation caused by sugar. The combination of the sugar and the oils would be deadly in terms of inflammation.
                      I guess that innocent little tootsie roll is the perfect inflammatory combo!

Comment

I think the oils are pretty bad, but when you get that kind of food-ish stuff, it could be anything.

Back in the day, I'd have to scrape my kids off the ceiling when I fed them Frooty Pebbles. Cocoa Pebbles? Not so much. The food coloring totally caused a reaction in them. And for myself, I realized a few years ago that foods with blue, red or purple coloring gave me heartburn. Weird.
                        Durp.

Comment

I think the oils are the worst of the worst. I had a lot of chronic inflammation and joint pain and when I started this diet I was surprised how all the pain went away. So if avoiding the oil makes the pain go away, eating it must make it come back, right?
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            So has the byproduct of the "less clean" burning been identified?
                            As I understand it there are many byproducts of burning omega 6 polyunsaturated fats, some of which perform important biochemical roles in promoting inflammation. There are several pathways for fatty acid oxidation: alpha, beta and omega, and lots of different PUFA, so it's a rather complex subject. I haven't studied it in further detail.

I'm also aware that Vitamin E helps reduce the amount of oxidative damage caused by burning PUFAs.

Another important distinction between omega 3 and 6 is that omega 3 is metabolised much more quickly than omega 6 and saturated fats which has a strong stimulatory effect on metabolism of all types of fat. Whereas omega 6 has a strong inhibitory effect on fat burning in general. Omega 3 is much more reactive than omega 6 - that's why the body prefers to burn it up quickly.

Comment

Working...
                            X