No announcement yet.

Gaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but her fiancee is putting my sister through a fair amount of stress worrying about all the doctors bills now and making sure her loved one stays healthy. Ugh! Hard to watch, like I said.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
      I hate people sometimes. They see me and the way my eating works, they see the weight I have lost and the health I have. They know I had diabetes and blood pressure issues but they would rather go on weight watchers or become a vegetarian because they have cholesterol problems. I show them the data, the studies, the findings, they see me and still they go oh no I cant do that, too much cholesterol is bad, all that meat is fattening and what will I do without bread and pasta, oh no I dont want to get sick from low blood sugar.

Does no one listen? People are so brain washed they cant see truth that is right in front of them. My best friend still says all this meat and fat is making me gain weight and going to give me heart problems.... I have lost 50 lbs in a cpl of months and I am going to get fat????? His ex wife says I am malnourished from lack of essential nutrients in grains.

Sigh, some days I think the plague would be a good idea, there is no hope for most people.
      Most people are completely ignorant about nutrition. One thing I have found is that people will hear something on a morning talk show or something similar from some "expert" and for some reason or another will accept it at face value, rattle off the BS whenever the subject comes up, yet will have no other answer when asked about it other than "oh, I just know its true."

Meat doesn't make you fat and grains are not essential for nutrients...those two statements are extremely stupid. BUT, on the other hand, lots of people have success on weight watchers and similar diets so you aren't really in the right by telling them your diet is better.

Comment

Do you ever get mad with those close to you because they are abusing their bodies like that and YOU arebthe one who has to take care of them. I think if a son/daughter is told by their parent they are responsible to take care of them when they get old, then that son/daughter has the right to demand them eat a certain way or else no deal!
        Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

Reminds me of one of my favorite Ron Swanson quotes from "Parks and Recreation" where he says "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard."

My point being that for most people they have to truly be in a place mentally where they are willing to accept change rather than more conventional wisdom BS. If they aren't willing to open their mind even slightly to something outside of the CW box then any effort to give them non-conventional information is probably close to useless. None of the information regarding the benefits of eating less processed junk and sugar, the lipid hypothesis, lower-carb diets, exercise, etc that many of us learned from this and other similar sites (as well as personal trial-and-error) is rocket science. But it is far enough outside of the CW-mainstream thinking that you have to spend some time researching it and unlearning the CW BS that would keep most people from committing to it.

None of the info is hard to find. Everyone who has ever wanted to lose weight has probably at least heard of Atkins and if they had the slightest inclination to do anything outside of the CW box they would have at least Googled Atkins or low-carb, and that could have put them on the right track. But very few people want to put in the effort. They want a magic solution. The same principle applies to people visiting their doctor and getting put on powerful drugs for various diseases. They take what the Doctor gives them and ask no questions. An intelligent person who really cared about their health would pick their doctor's brain, and then go home and spend days reading everything they could find about the condition before deciding what to do about treatment. The average person just stops at the pharmacy on their way home and starts taking the drugs. It's sad.

Comment

The thing is they ask me what I am doing, they are impressed by the results. So I tell them, simply and without jargon. it does not help, Dr Oz has been there and he is a Dr, what do I know compared to that? I will now tell people they dont want to know and walk away.

My sanity will be better for it but when my mother in law dies of heart/diabetes/cholesterol issues, my wife will be crushed. I can help her but I cant force her.

She wont eat the salmon skin or the fat on a roast pork but she will eat 5 chocolate danishes for Sunday brunch and she gets upset as she gains weight.
            Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

I appreciate, it is heartbreaking. Just try not to burden yourself with being responsible for converting your loved ones just because you are blessed with the knowledge.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                I appreciate, it is heartbreaking. Just try not to burden yourself with being responsible for converting your loved ones just because you are blessed with the knowledge.
                Exactly this. Ultimately, everyone is responsible for their own health. No-one else can do it for you. Unfortunately, our society doesn't teach this message. We get CW nutritional advice jammed down our throats by the government and are told to just do whatever our doctor's tell us to do. The government and the medical community is waaaaay smarter than you are so anything you do will just bork (Sorry Trish) things up even worse. No need for you to learn anything on your own. After all diet has little or no impact on health and disease dontcha know....

Comment

I have to say that I was really disappointed to see the "Last Heart Attack" report by Sanjay Gupta on CNN which touts low fat diets and whole grains. At least he got the fresh veggies part right!

Comment

I'm intelligent ... and fat. And standing with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin. At that, I'm doing better than a decade ago when both feet were on a banana skin and the grave was urging me in. I have lost 60+ pounds on low carb, and see myself eating this way till I die. But I find preaching to others while in the ethusiaastic mode is pointless (altho' I try anyway). Why? Because I was there 30 years ago, an was unable to follow the Atkins diet, with hungry kids and a hubby to feed.Living w/o wheat was unthinkable. Flash forward 2 decades, after years of chronic sickness. I got a celiac diagnosis at the same time hubby got his diabetes one. NO MORE WHEAT, and very limited dairy. When the weight headed south, and I quit my death gallop, then the messages sank in. Not until. But still they can't resist "good homemade bread" and a free doughnut with filling. Mmmm mmm. Nuuuh uh!

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                      I'm intelligent ... and fat. And standing with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin. At that, I'm doing better than a decade ago when both feet were on a banana skin and the grave was urging me in. I have lost 60+ pounds on low carb, and see myself eating this way till I die. But I find preaching to others while in the ethusiaastic mode is pointless (altho' I try anyway). Why? Because I was there 30 years ago, an was unable to follow the Atkins diet, with hungry kids and a hubby to feed.Living w/o wheat was unthinkable. Flash forward 2 decades, after years of chronic sickness. I got a celiac diagnosis at the same time hubby got his diabetes one. NO MORE WHEAT, and very limited dairy. When the weight headed south, and I quit my death gallop, then the messages sank in. Not until. But still they can't resist "good homemade bread" and a free doughnut with filling. Mmmm mmm. Nuuuh uh!
                      Exactly, a person has to want to change for there to be a possibility of self-directed change. Take smokers, they are bombarded every day with the message that their habit has real and serious implications for their health. They don't continue to smoke because they are unaware of the danger, they continue to smoke because they fear the difficulty of quitting more than some potential future illness. Those who quit (I am one) generally do so because they reached a tipping point where the benefits of quitting outweight the costs of not quitting. It seems like the same thing has to happen for diet. Many people make half-hearted attempts to lose weight just as many smokers make half-hearted attempts to quit. But a catalyst like a disease diagnosis can help to tip the scale.

Before that tipping point is reached any unsolicited advice is likely to be met with hostility, and any solicited advice is still likely to be ignored. When I was a smoker, I took the Dennis Leary approach. If someone told me smoking was bad for me, I would put an incredulous horrorstruck look on my face and tell them "Holy S%^+, are you serious? I thought these things had vitamin C in them!!!" It wasn't until my wife and I decided that we would like to have children that it became more important to me to get healthy than to continue smoking. After that it was pretty easy.

Comment

Just think of it as very slow natural selection. Eventually SAD will kill everyone at an earlier and earlier age. Didn't some study say that this coming generation on average won't live as long as the previous one? Too bad it just takes so long with some people. Like smoking, most of the time I wish it worked faster.
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012
                        Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                        Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

It just seems the approach we inevitably have to take (ie waiting til the person is sick to say something) is like building a hospital at the bottom of a cliff instead of a fence at the top.
                          Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
                            It just seems the approach we inevitably have to take (ie waiting til the person is sick to say something) is like building a hospital at the bottom of a cliff instead of a fence at the top.
                            Nice analogy.
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

That's true, but everyone has to come to this in their own way. Certainly I followed CW like a good little citizen. I didn't question. I blamed myself for my failure. I blamed old age. I blamed genetics. It took a long time for me to discover it was all bullshit. If anyone had preached to me, I don't think I would have changed until I wanted to. No one likes to be wrong.
                              5' 9" 47 YO F
                              PB start June 2, 2012
                              Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                              Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
                                Yes, it certainly would be nice to build a fence at the top of the cliff and call it good. Unfortunately there is a madman at the top of the cliff (CW-spewers and government agencies) taking an axe to the fence every time you try to start building it. The madman is also perfectly willing to put the axe upside your head if you get too strident about building the fence.
                                Last edited by mrquick42; 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM. Reason: teh speeling

Comment

Working...
                                X