For those who eat small meals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who eat small meals

I have a question for people who eat several small meals throughout the day. How do you do it? I'm trying to figure out how to do this while eating primal. Anyone have any meal plans they'd like to share?
    Georgette

Why would you want to? It's way less convenient than eating 0-3 larger meals, and probably worse for your metabolism in the long-run. Also, is it really that difficult to figure out?
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

something like that:

4 am - get up
      7 am: coffee and 1 tbsp of coconut oil or 5 brazil nuts or greek yogurt/quark
      10 am: 2 eggs in a cup of bone broth
      2 pm: 150 g of meat with 1 cup egg white and/or 1-2 eggs with 0.5-1 cup of egg white
      4-5 pm: cabbage, can of tuna or an egg or lean ham or egg white or whatever
      6-7 pm: 300 g of mashed cauliflower or salad (no dressing) with 150-200 g of grilled meat or boiled fish with bock-Choi
      7-8 pm: tea with non-fat greek yogurt or quark or coconut milk (with salt or lemon juice, stevia and coco powder) or almond butter or cheese
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I work second shift so automatically, my scheduled is jacked up. People like you are what make the forums here crap. Thanks for the not so helpful advice.
        Georgette

Comment

I'm up between 9-10AM and don't go to bed until 12:30 or 1 AM the next morning.
          Georgette

Comment

Hi Georgette, I do better with smaller meals and a snack between if needed since I get full quickly. You can look at my journal for what I generally eat. This is totally n=1 and I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, YMMV. My guess is that this may be different for metabolically healthy people vs. someone that's trying to heal their metabolism (e.g., thyroid or adrenal issues).
            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
              I work second shift so automatically, my scheduled is jacked up. People like you are what make the forums here crap. Thanks for the not so helpful advice.
              Wouldn't that make the inconvenience of several small meals worse? Eat a meal before work and a meal after. What am I missing here? Your question makes no sense to me.

Sorry to hear the forums here are crap. I kinda like 'em. Ergo, I'm a crapliker. See, that's how logic works...
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                And it's always the people who are new here that come along and do that.

My schedule varies. Generally I AM able to do 2-3 meals a day and I'm fine. But on days when I'm running around more and my day is less structured, I'm apt to go to more of the several smaller meals type of eating. When I do that it tends to be easy things like hardboiled eggs, cold meats sliced to finger-food size, raw veggies, sliced cheese, nuts. I actually really love meals like this. Even we are on the regular schedule, we often have a "snacky" lunch of stuff like this. The other thing is salads with meat since I find those very filling.
                Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

Originally posted by Sassy View Post
                  My schedule varies. Generally I AM able to do 2-3 meals a day and I'm fine. But on days when I'm running around more and my day is less structured, I'm apt to go to more of the several smaller meals type of eating. When I do that it tends to be easy things like hardboiled eggs, cold meats sliced to finger-food size, raw veggies, sliced cheese, nuts. I actually really love meals like this. Even we are on the regular schedule, we often have a "snacky" lunch of stuff like this. The other thing is salads with meat since I find those very filling.
                  I have been eating primarily 2 meals a day but I am not seeing any kind of loss whatsoever. Plus, I have to start back on birth control Monday, I have no choice for the time being and I can barely lose anything on the pill. My doctor is recommending this for health reasons right now. I dont' eat after I get home at all. I don't like to do so since I pretty go straight to bed most nights.
                  Georgette

Comment

Ugh, ignore the grumpies... Humor them, maybe they are hurting deep down inside from something that makes them want to stir trouble .

Everyone has to tweak PB for where they are health wise, financially,emotionally, and so on. It is not going to look the same for everyone. So listen to your body and do what you need to.

I for one have to eat small meals because I can't fit it all in my tummy. I get full so fast!! I had to use digestive enzymes to work my way up from getting full after 5 bites to eating 2 burger patties over a small bit of salad. I'm still working on larger meals so I can go without snacks.

That being said, I feel like I'm in the kitchen all day long. Make ahead meals are good... Like making some burger patties and having them in the frige to heat up later. You have to figure out what foods you can eat (ie I cant a bunch of stuff because of auto-immune protocol), and figure out short cuts to make them convenient for you.
                    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

I wouldn't wish going back on the pill on anyone....my condolences.

Unless there are other health issues that contribute to the recommendation of several small meals, I think if it were me, I'd just ditch any concerns of how many meals I should or shouldn't eat, and just focus on eating when I'm hungry - let my system decide for me. Is that possible in your case? Or even desirable?
                      Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

I now eat 3 small meals a day, no snacks, plenty of water.

Example: 2 eggs, 2 strips uncured bacon, 1/2 org apple with walnut butter
                        Lunch - salad with about 4 oz chicken or tuna, olives, green tea
                        Dinner - meat on grill usually, (small rib eye or pork chop) sautéed green & yellow veg, 3 or 4 strawberries sometimes frozen with 2 tbs cream

If I leave home without a set plan for food, I'll take along about 10 macadamia nuts & Fiji water.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          Why would you want to? It's way less convenient than eating 0-3 larger meals, and probably worse for your metabolism in the long-run. Also, is it really that difficult to figure out?
                          I loved the idea of eating just 1-2 meals per day; however, my digestive system doesn't. In the course of several months, I essentially ate one or two big meals per day with no snacking, and it gave me the WORST pain. Against what I thought was the 'common sense' wisdom of eating 1-2 big meals, I switched to something like 3-4 small meals, within an 8-12 hour window. The pain after eating disappeared, and now only returns if I slip up an eat too much (or I eat something problematic like dried fruit or high fiber stuff).

Sometimes I accidentally prepare a big meal that's too much, so I'll eat half of it, wait an hour or two, and then eat the other half. My digestive system is sooooooo glad that I'm not overloading it anymore. I have yet to notice any metabolic changes, (though my bloating and cramps vanished) so I really don't understand where this metabolism hoo-ha comment is coming from.

Even though I am eating smaller meals, I don't 'snack',in the conventional sense. I just spread out whatever food I'm planning to eat instead of shoving it all down my throat at once.

If you're trying to figure out how to do the smaller meal thing with work, I'd suggest something like preparing a big meal (lunch or dinner, or whichever meal you'd be eating at work) and divide it into two containers; eat one during your meal break, eat the other one a few hours later on a shorter break, or while you're working.

Comment

I know alot of people here will disagree, but I have always believed in the analogy that our metabolism is like a fire. If you throw 2-3 big logs on a fire over the course of a day (logs constitute meals) they will ultimately overwhelm the fire and it will slow down or die out. If on the other hand you throw alot of little branches on the fire throughout the day it will burn strong and consistant. This seems to be how my metabolism works. A couple of big meals daily makes me feel ill and does nothing for stopping hunger as I am still hungry pretty much 3 hours later like clockwork regardless of how much I eat in one sitting so it makes sense for me to split the large meals and eat every couple of hours. To help with this I make up big salads (including protein and fats) and break them up into smaller storage containers to munch on throughout the day when hungry. I also snack on macadamia nuts, cheese, full fat greek yogurt, berries and other fruits (usually no more than 2 serves a day though). I also make mini savoury muffins from eggs, bacon, herbs and various veggies too.

Comment

Originally posted by TARNIP View Post
                              If on the other hand you throw alot of little branches on the fire throughout the day it will burn strong and consistant. This seems to be how my metabolism works.
                              I am still experimenting. Trying to figure out what works best of me.

But it is so confusing, all the different advice you hear. It would seem to make sense to keep metab. revved up, and keeping insulin consistent all day, makes sense. But the flip side makes sense also.

When I started my journey, I thought smaller more frequent was the way to go. And I was losing weight. But I was always hungry. Always thinking about food. And the foods I was eating had my carbs up there, foods I thought I was suppose to eat so I started eating them, like whole grains, steel cut oats, legumes... And again, I was losing 10 lbs a month.

Then I thought there had to be a better way. I was constantly thinking about food, fixing food, hungry all the time. I researched and discovered primal. I naturally settled into 2 meals a day, maybe an afternoon snack. Way fewer carbs than before, way more fat, about the same protein. Getting full on 900 - 1200 calories per day, a few days of 13 & 1400 thrown in there also, maybe some 15 & 16's, but mostly around 1000 - 1200. It seems like a naturally fit, but weight loss is anywhere from 1 - 5 pounds per month.

I realize as you get closer to goal, things slow down. But I am not close to goal.

And then there is the whole Calorie thing. If at the end of the day it is CICO, I don't know why it would matter if you eat them all once a day, or eat 20 times a day.

I am just typing outloud. Just the thoughts that go through my mind every day as I am trying to figure out what works for me. I thought maybe I should revert back to the smaller more frequent meals as I was losing weight faster. But I was eating more carbs so I was hungrier more often. So this past week, I added in more carbs like fruit (peaches are ripe) and it seems like I have been hungrier, but I have been more physical also, and I have had a steady gain every day this week. Uggghhh. I know, dont trip on the scale. I am hoping it is water as I had a few things I don't normally have. Like a few glasses of sweet tea (which I had completely cut out). I also had a hamburger bun. I also had (2) 4 inch pancakes w/sugar free syrup. I also probably had 2 cups of milk, and 2 bowls of cereal. I just dont eat those things but I did this week. I dont usually do the 20% so I guess I was making up for it this week. I was just hungrier than I have been for a long time. But I was also working outside, physically for 6 - 8 hrs every day. I had to keep coming in to fix the kids something and it was just too easy to grab a peach or scarf down a bowl of cereal before returning outside. However based on calorie intake and expenditure, there is no way it could be fat. Just no way. I tracked it later and was still eating 1500 - 1600 calories.

I just dont understand how there can be so many theories. I guess because we are all different. I was just reading this week, on a link from a post here, about more carbs and fewer fats to lose weight. Uggh. Perfect Health Diet. The trouble is, it all makes sense when I read it. And then I read something else that makes sense.

I am just having trouble figuring out what I need to do. I was so close to losing 50 pounds, and now the scale is going the other direction and I know enough to know there are many factors and I do not think it is fat. But I also feel like I am 20 pounds behind where I should have been by now. Just frustrating is all. I know I will get there. I know or feel like what I have lost is a permanent thing. Like everybody else, I just wish I was there already.

Okay this isnt about me. I just need to babble sometimes.

edit: I just remembered some other things I did different also. Didnt sleep as well. Didnt take any supplements all week. Didnt drink as much water. And I had two pina coladas the same night I had the bun. I did just now weigh and 2.2lbs lighter than yesterday, so maybe some of the junk I had earlier in the week is finding it's way out. I need to remember all this, especially when I wonder wth is wrong & why it's not working I gained 4 pounds in 7 days, now at least a couple of those are gone again.
                              Last edited by gopintos; 06-23-2012, 05:32 AM.
                              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Working...
                              X