I need some gut flora

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some gut flora

I need to get me some better gut flora. I think I don't have enough or the ones I have are falling down on the job. I want to try to find capsules rather than liquid drinks so that the flora can survive my stomach and get into my intestines. My question is, what organisms should I look for on the label?

I don't care about brand names since when I go to the store there's hardly ever the same brands on the shelves. I just want to know what bacterias to look for.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Just eat truckloads of sauerkraut like I do and toss some raw cheese in the diet every once in a while. Bingo, problem solved.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Why do you think you need better gut flora?
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I have read you really need the 10+ billion CFUs to be of any good, but a quick look around doesn't get me any links for you.
        SW: 243
        CW: 177
        Goal: Health

Comment

I read the Gut Sense website and have a lot of the worst symptoms. He suggests that any bacteria you eat doesn't survive the stomach. I need them to get into my intestines and go to work so things run more smoothly. I eat vegetables every day. I don't eat a lot of fermented things. I definitely despise sauerkraut.

Comment

I don't take anything in capsule form but I do drink quite a bit of Kombucha. I know you said you don't want to drink anything though. My sister in law had digestive issues, I turned her on to Kombucha and it helped. Not sure if it would help you though...
            "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If you want things to "run more smoothly" I think a Lactobacillus based probiotic is your best bet. I use Culturelle Digestive Health and it'll clean you out especially if you start off aggressively and take two per day to ramp things up. It's also got the prebiotic inulin to help the probiotic take hold. It's not necessarily cheap but it's readily available in dugstores or online and it's good "starter" probiotic that you can stay with longterm or go with something different if it doesn't work.

Comment

It's not that I don't want to drink fermented dairy drinks, it's just that according to the gutsense website, your stomach acids just kill all the bacteria before they can get to your intestines. The little probiotic drinks they sell are super expensive and I don't want to waste my money if they actually aren't that effective.

I didn't realize you needed such a pedestrian bacteria and not super exotic ones. I will look for lactobacillus on the label when I go to the store.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I definitely despise sauerkraut.
                  Ok then, kimchi, pickles, kombucha, umeboshi plums, almost any fermented vegetable, kefir, any raw dairy product...

You can even make your own lacto-fermented foods at home! Lots of options. Don't limit yourself just because you dislike one particular food.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I think fermented foods to maintain healthy gut flora is a good idea but if you have some "issues" that need addressing than the quickest and most cost effective to attempt to find relief would be a supplement. It would take A LOT of fermented foods/drinks to equal the probiotics in a supplement

Comment

Oh, and Kombucha is fermented tea, not a dairy drink. It gets carbonated from the fermentation, much like soda. Some people here have used it to quit the soda.

Comment

Look for probiotic pills that are 'enteric coated', these supposedly withstand the stomach acids and don't dissolve until they hit the right place.

That being said, I've been following the recommendations from Fiber Menace, took a bunch of the supplements from the Gut Sense website, and had great improvements with my IBS. I supplemented with both probiotic pills and fermented/cultured foods and kombucha, making it an all-out assault. I've read conflicting information about the probiotics being destroyed/not being destroyed in the stomach acid, so I wouldn't rule out fermented foods/drinks unless you really can't stand them. I think it's plausible they do have some benefits.

Comment

As you're not keen on fermented foods, some vegetables and fruit with probiotic factors present a better choice. These include the onion family, artichokes and bananas.

I find leeks especially beneficial and that they have a very detectable calming effect on my guts.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Also, there are several foods that increase the secretion of stomach acids that will DRASTICALLY speed up digestion which I have found to be extremely helpful in eliminating "digestive distress."

Three examples are:

1) Yerba Mate. Brew this into a tea and take it. It's been said to speed digestion and most people I know who have taken it have said it's helped with IBS and keeping them "regular."

2) Ginger. You can eat it straight, add it to meals, or brew a tea out of it. It has been known to calm upset stomachs and has been said t be more effective than most medicines. It also speeds gastric emptying due to balancing out stomach acid levels.

3) Peppermint. Basically, has a similar effect as Ginger. Many have said it has the ability to regulate stomach acid levels as well, which obviously assists in digestion and regularity.

Comment

In mouse studies, all you have to do is put a mouse in cage with another mouse and you will spread the gut bacteria from one to the other. Granted, they are crawling around on each others poop all day, but I think the route of spread is oral. So at least some gut bacteria must be able to survive the process.

Also, I think some of the early Fecal transplant studies were done by the oral route - I'll have to do some searching to confirm - but that would also suggest that some bacteria survive the stomach.

I have always heard good things about the garden of life probiotics. They didn't work as well for me as Kefir and Kombucha did, but lots of people seem to like them.
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X