This may help motivate you to stop grains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
    Imagine if you found a cow in your rice one day....
    I would worry if it ate weevils.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Comment

all rice, cookies, pasta, cereals, etc. have "acceptable" amounts of bug and mouse particles, as determined "safe" by the good ol' fda.

and yeah, unhatched larvae in those same products is very common. not so much a problem up here in colder climates.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Had rice in my cupboard for over year...no bugs in it.

Comment

Well, I don't know about humans, but when I worked in the pet shop, we once had an order of dog food come in that was infested with weevils. The manager sent it back, said weevils make the dogs sick. Don't know if that was true or not, but it seems reasonable~ they're nasty little bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
            Had rice in my cupboard for over year...no bugs in it.
            How wasit stored? Seems the conditions have to be right for them to hatch.

Comment

I always keep my white rice (and back when I ate pasta I did the same with it) in a sealed container. That way if you do get a bug hatching incident, you contain the outbreak and just throw out the infected grain.

Comment

You can keep rice and whatnot in the freezer. That is the solution from my bug phobic wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy View Post
                  You can keep rice and whatnot in the freezer. That is the solution from my bug phobic wife.
                  The freezer doesn't keep them out, it just prevents them from hatching. That's what gets me... Buying the grains with eggs already in them... Gross!

Comment

That's how historically vegetarian cultures have managed to eat healthily. By having some stealth insects providing protein.
                    What cultures?
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
                      How wasit stored? Seems the conditions have to be right for them to hatch.
                      Kept it in the bag it came in, which is kind of like hardcore plastic...not sealed at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X