Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pounds/Inches Not Coming Off!! My Body Hates Me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have lost close to 200lbs over the past few years, and I had a big stall after I lost the first 80lbs. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't carbs (I am very carb sensitive and remain at about 20g) but the calories. My 'smaller' body just needed less food, and I was eating my 'usual' portions.

Once I cut calories, I began losing again right to goal weight. Today in maintenance, I eat much less than I ever thought I would, but I'm not hungry. My body just needs a lot less food than my 'head' wants to feed it.

There's never any loss without a caloric deficit, and sometimes it just takes a reduction of a few hundred calories to establish that deficit.

Comment

i feel like i've been in your spot a few times. the problem for me is that i struggle with wanting two things that rarely happen simultaneously: i like to improve my times/weights at crossfit (faster sprints, heavier weights) AND i like a leaner look. they don't come together in my body. not in a sustainalbe way, anyhow.

when i am lifting heavy, sprinting faster, and pushing my body harder in general, i keep some insulation on my bod. to lean out for a vacation or something, i'll cut back in intensity and stay under 50g carbs for 2-3 weeks. works great for that super strong, bikini-ready look.

when i want to have more definition to my muscles and appear more lean overall, i use moderate weights at crossfit and walk for 45 mins both morning and night. my fitness goes down a bit, i relax on the carbs (150g), and i have more of a 'yoga' body. i think of it as more of a stree-free approach that (maybe) limits inflammation??

my results are pretty consistant with these changes. anyone else notice this?

btw, i'm 5'8 and toggle between 140 and 150 depending on my musculature.
      this wounded bear is gonna find ALL the answers...health, reveal thyself!!

Comment

*stress-free (really hard to type that, for some reason...)
        this wounded bear is gonna find ALL the answers...health, reveal thyself!!

Comment

I agree with the folks talking about upping your carbs, as counter intuitive as that may sound. Any time I hit a plateau, jockying my carb amounts around (up if I've been low for a while, down if I've been high for a while) always seems to do the trick. I know the carb cycling thing is highly debated, and I have no opinion except what I've seen work for myself and a few close friends. I don't do it on any set rotation like I once did, just whenever things aren't quite going like I think they should and everything else is in order, that's the first place I look.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiianlion View Post
            When you did the 6 week Paleo Challenge, were you still eating the 100-150g of carbs a day?
            Sure was! Lots of fruit, sweet and white potatoes, starchy veg, squashes, and so on. Looking back through my journal from the challenge, I was on a major tangerine kick at the time and had days when I ate 2-3 of them and still ate lots of other stuff like sweet potato, pumpkin, and other carby foods.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

i would suggest adding fruit back first, and then starch. same way it's a little bit funky to transition to low carb, it's a bit funky to transition backs to carbs. you can get some gas and bloating at first. it's your gut bacteria coming back!

here's the other thing, and i eat around 100g of carbs a day, and even more on lifting days - counting the carbs in vegetables is pointless. your gut bacteria will use them to digest food before they ever make it to you as useable fuel. you're likely on a very low carb diet right now, almost zero, without realising it. the kinds of carbs you can actually use for fuel are found in fruits and starches - not kale and broccoli and mushrooms!

when you add the carbs back, go slowly, and substitute them for some of the fat you'd otherwise eat. don't just eat the same meal + a sweet potato. that's just more calories.

Comment

Hmm...Interesting. So would you say....Meat + Sweet Potato + Broccoli - Butter= Less Jiggle?

Comment

Less butter. Not no butter. Sweet potatoes are sad without butter. But basically I try to just get my fats from what I use for cooking plus the fat in my meats.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                    I have lost close to 200lbs over the past few years, and I had a big stall after I lost the first 80lbs. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't carbs (I am very carb sensitive and remain at about 20g) but the calories. My 'smaller' body just needed less food, and I was eating my 'usual' portions.

Once I cut calories, I began losing again right to goal weight. Today in maintenance, I eat much less than I ever thought I would, but I'm not hungry. My body just needs a lot less food than my 'head' wants to feed it.

There's never any loss without a caloric deficit, and sometimes it just takes a reduction of a few hundred calories to establish that deficit.
                    emmie, i applaud you for saying something that most pb people just don't want to admit. I agree entirely, with one tiny caveat - with pb or paleo, I don't think calories matter as much as they do in CW world. There is a little bit more leeway, especially once we reach and maintain our "goal weight for a while. But we must recognize that they still count.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                      i would suggest adding fruit back first, and then starch. same way it's a little bit funky to transition to low carb, it's a bit funky to transition backs to carbs. you can get some gas and bloating at first. it's your gut bacteria coming back!

here's the other thing, and i eat around 100g of carbs a day, and even more on lifting days - counting the carbs in vegetables is pointless. your gut bacteria will use them to digest food before they ever make it to you as useable fuel. you're likely on a very low carb diet right now, almost zero, without realising it. the kinds of carbs you can actually use for fuel are found in fruits and starches - not kale and broccoli and mushrooms!

when you add the carbs back, go slowly, and substitute them for some of the fat you'd otherwise eat. don't just eat the same meal + a sweet potato. that's just more calories.
                      +1 - well said with the science of no vs low carb, while recognizing calories. good plan.

Comment

5'5, size 6, you say? AWESOME!!! If you want to tone any jiggle, and I sound like a broken record here, TRY PILATES! It works! Try it for a month, a half hour dvd, three times a week. It works! Congrats on your progress!

Comment

Rasputina do you know of any good dvd's? Do you only do pilates or other stuff?
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45312.html[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by sarahz View Post
                            Rasputina do you know of any good dvd's? Do you only do pilates or other stuff?
                            Funny... I was just thinking about doing pilates again. When I used to do it I was very toned. I have this DVD and love it!

Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates
                            Amazon.com: Crunch - Pick Your Spot Pilates: Ellen Barrett: Movies & TV

Comment

I love the Gaiam dvds with Anna Caban, also, Pilates for Indie Rockers are goofy, rockin soundtracks, chicks with tattoos, good times I used to do pilates with my friend before she got pregnant, moved to Washington, and is preggers again!! It was good times! I used to work for a pilates studio, and had free classes, but the dvds are just as good!

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                                Funny... I was just thinking about doing pilates again. When I used to do it I was very toned. I have this DVD and love it!

Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates
                                Amazon.com: Crunch - Pick Your Spot Pilates: Ellen Barrett: Movies & TV
                                Pump n' Tone eh? You want to tone up, start deadlifting and squating. Bottom line is you need to be at a deficit to lose weight. See how much you are eating by counting for a week. Get a handle on that and adjust. Simply adding 1 or 2 24 hour fasts a week will naturally cut calories and burn fat (Eat Stop Eat). It's the no hassle IF.

If your stall was 1,2 or 3 weeks I would say wait a couple more weeks for the possible woosh effect people go through. But 6 months, you're eating what you're burnin'.
                                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X