Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onset of rheumatoid arthritis several months into PB? What gives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Onset of rheumatoid arthritis several months into PB? What gives?

    Hi all,
    there are tons of posts regarding how people have had success with getting of or reducing symptoms of RA, after going Primal.

    My wife and I went Primal sometime in March.
    We are not 100%, due to social occasions with the accompanying slip-ups, but all in all we are fairly primal.
    We eat well, exercise and are, in general fairly happy with PB.

    Everything has been going well, when suddenly my wife developed fairly severe RA. This still has to be confirmed by a specialist, but that is our doctor's diagnosis and symptoms fit as well.

    How can this be?
    Going primal would tend to help people with RA, not the other way around.
    We are at a loss.

    Here are some answers to points that have come up.

    Yes, we do eat nightshades and always have. Never had a problem.
    Yes, we do consume dairy, but very little and it used to be much more actually. Never had a problem.
    No, we do not eat Gluten anymore. But didn't even have a problem there.
    No we do not eat legumes, but used to, wihtout issues.
    No, she does not get adequate sleep in the sense that she always feels tired
    Yes, we have a fair amount of stress in our life at the moment


    We don't quite understand what has changed, that might have brought on this condition.
    Our only guess right now - a combination of stress and sleeping problems over a longer period of time, finally causing a flareup.

    This is fairly new for us, so if any of you have pointers beyond the already available information, ideas on what to do, I would appreciate it.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kai-man View Post
    Hi all,
    there are tons of posts regarding how people have had success with getting of or reducing symptoms of RA, after going Primal.

    My wife and I went Primal sometime in March.
    We are not 100%, due to social occasions with the accompanying slip-ups, but all in all we are fairly primal.
    We eat well, exercise and are, in general fairly happy with PB.

    Everything has been going well, when suddenly my wife developed fairly severe RA. This still has to be confirmed by a specialist, but that is our doctor's diagnosis and symptoms fit as well.

    How can this be?
    Going primal would tend to help people with RA, not the other way around.
    We are at a loss.

    Here are some answers to points that have come up.

    Yes, we do eat nightshades and always have. Never had a problem.
    Yes, we do consume dairy, but very little and it used to be much more actually. Never had a problem.
    No, we do not eat Gluten anymore. But didn't even have a problem there.
    No we do not eat legumes, but used to, wihtout issues.
    No, she does not get adequate sleep in the sense that she always feels tired
    Yes, we have a fair amount of stress in our life at the moment


    We don't quite understand what has changed, that might have brought on this condition.
    Our only guess right now - a combination of stress and sleeping problems over a longer period of time, finally causing a flareup.

    This is fairly new for us, so if any of you have pointers beyond the already available information, ideas on what to do, I would appreciate it.
    RA is widely considered to be a genetic thing. It runs in families for sure. The best one can do is to keep it under control. Unfortunately it can be a real rough road where there is no easy solution. Hopefully its mild in your wife's case and eating clean helps keep it so. Good luck with it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Forever Young View Post
      RA is widely considered to be a genetic thing. It runs in families for sure. The best one can do is to keep it under control. Unfortunately it can be a real rough road where there is no easy solution. Hopefully its mild in your wife's case and eating clean helps keep it so. Good luck with it.
      Thanks!
      The problem is that we HAVE been eating clean.

      That's what has us so confused....

      Comment


      • #4
        Iodine deficiency may be a major contributor to the widespread arthritis problems in the US. A home remedy for arthritis is consumption of two drops of Lugol�s solution each day. Two drops of Lugol�s solution contain thesame amount of iodine as one Iodoral tablet. Lugol�s solution is a water solution of 10 per cent potassium iodide and 5 per cent iodine.
        Iodine Deficiency
        Lugols is available at Amazon.Com. I suggest titrating slowly because iodine will displace toxins in your body.

        According to thyroid expert David Brownstein, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, MOST CANCER, fibrocystic breast disease, prostate cancer, ovarian cysts, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, PAIN, arthritis, autoimmune disorders, and the list goes on, can be traced to IODINE DEFICIENCY!!!
        Thyroid Disorders Most Often Due to Iodine Deficiency!
        For more on iodine deficiency, see Iodine References:
        http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

        Grizz

        Comment


        • #5
          Can't tell you why the RA, but I've had success with the pain by eating celery. Lots of celery~ luckily, it's also considered a negative calorie food and is 'cleansing' ~ digestively speaking

          Comment


          • #6
            Grizz, thanks for the info. Iodine sounds like it is involved in just about any ailment :-)
            It's sort of like everybody will find something in that grab bag of symptoms.

            What makes me a bit suspicious is that the salt we use is iodized and we like salt.
            Sooo...I would assume we are ok with it.
            However, I think we'll just have to have this tested and see how she measures up

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nady View Post
              Can't tell you why the RA, but I've had success with the pain by eating celery. Lots of celery~ luckily, it's also considered a negative calorie food and is 'cleansing' ~ digestively speaking
              Celery? That's a novel one, but I like the idea. Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                I suffer with a form of arthritis called Spondylitis (it is genetic, I carry a gene called HLA-B27 which is a precursor for arthritic conditions). I know that eating starches can make mine flair up again even if it has been dorment for a while. Eating nightshades certainly won't help either, even though you say you have never had any problems with them (they are not the cause of RA but will most likely contribute to the severity of symptoms) and like anything it usually takes years of eating something before an intolerance presents itself unless of course you are allergic then the reactions are immediate.
                Last edited by TARNIP; 06-22-2012, 01:45 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kai-man View Post
                  Grizz, thanks for the info. Iodine sounds like it is involved in just about any ailment :-)
                  It's sort of like everybody will find something in that grab bag of symptoms.

                  What makes me a bit suspicious is that the salt we use is iodized and we like salt.
                  Sooo...I would assume we are ok with it.
                  However, I think we'll just have to have this tested and see how she measures up
                  Your assumption is incorrect. Your body needs > 12mg of iodine daily, and unless you are eating several large meals a week of seafood & seaweed a week, then your are deficient. The national Iodine deficiency epidemic is caused by all of the toxic halogen
                  chemicals in our food & water.... things like Bromide, Fluoride & chlorine that displace what little iodine we have.
                  Iodine deficiencies & dosages
                  Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic

                  Iodine-related bromide symptoms may include but are not limited to:

                  eye lid twitching
                  foot twitching
                  tingling in hands or feet
                  dark thoughts (e.g., there is no reason to live)
                  depression (e.g., there is no reason to get out of bed)
                  anxiety
                  emotionality
                  mouth and tongue sores and cuts or "sore mouth"
                  "different" acne,"bromide acne," "acne-like eruptions" without "coniform." (Some iodine
                  users found zinc helps bromide acne.)
                  skin "cuts"
                  hair loss
                  brain fog
                  leg and hip ache (feels like arthritis)
                  rash (bromaderma)
                  metallic taste
                  sinus ache
                  cherry angiomas
                  runny nose
                  headache
                  sedation
                  lethargy
                  odd swallowing sensation (reported in old medical literature as "swollen glottis")
                  body odor (bromos is Greek for stench)
                  unusual urine odor
                  dry mouth
                  ureteral spasm, frequent urination (mistaken for urinary infection)
                  diarrhea
                  constipation
                  vision changes
                  irritability
                  increased salivation
                  dream changes
                  hormone changes
                  kidney pain
                  breast tenderness (transient symptom reported to resolve)
                  Iodine-related bromide detox symptoms and strategies

                  Every cell in our body requires iodine and the halide chemicals that displace iodine do not work well, causing a pandoras box of disease, depending on which organs are most taken over. The most common goitrogen is Fluoride added to drinking water in most cities, next most common is Bromide foumd in most foods.

                  At home test kit here:
                  Hakala Research - Home
                  You should do the fluoride + bromide test with the iodine test for test results to be accurate.

                  A simpler test is to just put a spot of Tincture of Iodine on your wrist to see how long the brown stain lasts. It should last for > 12 hours or you are severely deficient:
                  Iodine Replacement Therapy
                  My skin patch test was gone in only 3 minutes! The skin patch test is far from perfect, but good enough for a rough estimate.

                  Grizz

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There is also this notion that if you eat Paleo you're never going to get sick, have a heart attack or get cancer and you'll live to be 116 years old. These notions are false. I wouldn't look at a flair up as meaning her diet is bad or the cause, rather that sometimes diseases just flair up.

                    Example, I'm celiac. I don't touch Gluten with a 20 foot pole. At the same time, some beers don't bother me. A couple of croutons in a salad usually don't do anything to me. That said, I still have flair ups and issues from time to time with stuff like IBS, joint pain and brain fog. Point being, it can take quite some time to "heal".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Look, what makes you think Iodine is directly involved in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease which arguably has its origins in gut permeability? Do you have journal articles you can cite on the Iodine involvement?

                      The loundry list you came up with could fit just about any condition. Iodine deficiency can be peripherally involved but doesn't seem to be the main cause here. You may think it may be involved because of your own particular circumstances but it's not wise to make wild inferences like this. Know your limits when you recommend recourses to someone you don't know for a condition you don't have a full knowledge of.

                      Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                      Your assumption is incorrect. Your body needs > 12mg of iodine daily, and unless you are eating several large meals a week of seafood & seaweed a week
                      Last edited by choppedliver; 06-22-2012, 09:16 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by choppedliver View Post
                        Look, what makes you think Iodine is directly involved in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease which arguably has its origins in gut permeability? Do you have journal articles you can cite on the Iodine involvement?

                        The loundry list you came up with could fit just about any condition. Iodine deficiency can be peripherally involved but doesn't seem to be the main cause here. You may think it may be involved because of your own particular circumstances but it's not wise to make wild inferences like this. Know your limits when you recommend recourses to someone you don't know for a condition you don't have a full knowledge of.


                        Grizz goes through phases like this. Right now it's iodine. Last year he jumped on every thread about every malady and told them that whatever they had was positively caused by a deficiency in Vitamin D. Before that I think it was Vitamin C but I'm not sure. It all starts sounding alike. A long list of ailments that are very generic and lots of references to blogs who are all selling their books and their supplements by selling the fear that there is an EPIDEMIC of CRISIS proportions. Please.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          RA is an autoimmune disease & 75% of cases are in women,
                          Firsty confirm by blood test to diagnose accurately if it is RA or another autoimmune condition.
                          If it is autoimmune (RA or other) my experience (partner autoimmune Graves disease) would leat towards a two pronged approach:
                          1/ Treat the sypmtoms to improve quality of life, like eating sulphur rich vegetables, cartilage & bone stock, anything to support the joints & reduce inflamation, epsom salt (Magnesium Sulphate) baths are supposed to help quite a bit.
                          2/ I lean toward the nutrition and gut health camp, so engage a Naturopath to help put together an appropriate diet and supplement program to heal the gut.
                          Paleo diet is a good basis, but it is a very wide scale, so should your wife be on a animal heavy or plant heavy paleo diet?
                          If you have a chronic disease in the family, someone needs to take on board the specialist role and start doing research, return to health is unlikely to succeed if you leave it to an outsider, it becomes a part of your life and the sooner you take that on board the sooner you will return to good health.
                          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This is completely unscientific, just something I have observed in a few people on the forums and formed my own little superstitious feeling about.
                            I have seen some people, several weeks after they start primal, suddenly have something serious happen with their health. Stroke, heart attack, kidney things.
                            Your wife will probably now make it into my mental file of examples(like I told you, it is unscientific, I am not counting).
                            The trying to make sense of things without having to work at it part of brain has come up with this:
                            Living on CW and SAD puts us into a certain poor condition, but if we're lucky(so to speak) we find a level that we get used to, and accept as normal health.
                            Then we start treating our bodies right. The right kind of food, sleep, exercise.
                            It feels great, but at the same time, it is a major shake up for our bodies. I know it is not this way, but I literally imagine things getting shaken off the walls of my arteries, being bumped into, having new spaces they never had before. And this seems like it could cause problems. Plaque giving you a stroke. Nerves freaking out.
                            This worried me, but at the same time, made me feel like if I could get past the adjustment, my body would be able to deal with it.
                            I hope my strange little theory is at least emotionally helpful. If not, well, there are a lot of whackos on the internet, and I'm probably one of them.
                            Good luck to y'all in figuring out what is wrong and getting better!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Go on the GAPS diet. Your gut is compromised, leading to autoimmunity.

                              (don't be scared of the source of this article. GAPS is not associated with any religion, it was created by a neurosurgeon)
                              GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome)

                              Healing Rheumatoid Arthritis on GAPS Diet: Elli Sparks 01/11 by BethWiles | Blog Talk Radio
                              Last edited by me2; 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM.
                              Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

                              ‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X