Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the avocados are scarce...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When the avocados are scarce...

    I've really gotten into the habit of eating an avocado per day/ half at lunch/half at dinner. I don't need oil, because I have avocado! I don't need salad dressing, because my big-ass salad has avocado! What the hell am I going to do when the avocados aren't in season for me and cost $2 per avocado? I wish I lived in Cali and had an avocado tree...

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
    I've really gotten into the habit of eating an avocado per day/ half at lunch/half at dinner. I don't need oil, because I have avocado! I don't need salad dressing, because my big-ass salad has avocado! What the hell am I going to do when the avocados aren't in season for me and cost $2 per avocado? I wish I lived in Cali and had an avocado tree...
    You could come visit me. Guacamole is one of the four food groups in SoCal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      You could come visit me. Guacamole is one of the four food groups in SoCal.
      I am so jealous! Really, I credit ze wonderous avocado with making me look forward to my meals.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah. Lived in San Diego for a year with tree in backyard. I generally get them cheap at the Sacramento co-op now. Other stores, gotta stock up when there's a big sports event.
        Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

        My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hedonist2 View Post
          Yeah. Lived in San Diego for a year with tree in backyard. I generally get them cheap at the Sacramento co-op now. Other stores, gotta stock up when there's a big sports event.
          This does not help my winter-time avocado-less gloomy time!!! Booooooo!!!!!! I need a greenhouse!

          Comment


          • #6
            Try $2.99 per.

            To be fair I can get them for less by buying bags of five.

            Comment


            • #7
              I love them too; they're a buck a pc now at Kroger.. We'll just have to use the oil when they start going up.

              Comment


              • #8
                I found this:
                Q: Can avocados be frozen?
                A: Yes, pureed avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and dips.
                For directions, visit Preparation Tips and Techniques.
                How to Store Avocados :: How to Freeze Avocados, How to Prevent Avocados from Turning Brown

                May not be ideal, but could help get you through the winter months.

                Comment


                • #9
                  When I can't find avocados I buy Wholly Guacamole, its ingredients are:
                  Hass Avocados, Jalapeno Puree (white vinegar, jalapeno peppers, salt), Dehydrated Onion, Salt, Granulated Garlic.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't think I have ever had to buy an avocado. I'd have an ocean view if it wasn't for all these dang avocado trees. Just thought I would rub it in.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Metric & Lynna, great info, thx!!!
                      Sb, I have a 5 yr old plant, done from a seed, blooms keep falling off every spring, got to find out what I'm doing wrong!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Speaking of avocados......does anyone know if the avocado oil that comes in a bottle is made from the pit or the green mushy stuff? It really tastes nice on a salad. Perhaps the OP could use some to tide her over until the real avocados come back.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Speaking of avocados......does anyone know if the avocado oil that comes in a bottle is made from the pit or the green mushy stuff? It really tastes nice on a salad. Perhaps the OP could use some to tide her over until the real avocados come back.
                          I think it's from the pulp. I love sautéing scallops in it. Scallops from Vital Choice my favorite.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                            Metric & Lynna, great info, thx!!!
                            Sb, I have a 5 yr old plant, done from a seed, blooms keep falling off every spring, got to find out what I'm doing wrong!!!
                            You cannot grow an avocado from the seed. All avocados are grafts on a root stock. The seed will only grow the root stock version of the plant. The best you will get are small, shiny, black avocados with skin that cracks on the tree and minimal flesh. You must purchase a tree from the nursery if you really want avocados.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              You cannot grow an avocado from the seed. All avocados are grafts on a root stock. The seed will only grow the root stock version of the plant. The best you will get are small, shiny, black avocados with skin that cracks on the tree and minimal flesh. You must purchase a tree from the nursery if you really want avocados.
                              Good grief.. I have taken such good care of that sucker, like watering twice a day by summers end.
                              I'll ck with the nursery, I do want one.. thx for the info.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X