Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegan "Transformations"--Simply from Cutting The Junk...or?...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegan "Transformations"--Simply from Cutting The Junk...or?...

When I was a veg-head, I came across Alicia Silverstone's blog. I still check it out every now and again for recommendations on beauty products or whatever. Regularly, she posts a testimonial from someone for the vegan diet. Of course, the people in the testimonials praise a vegan diet, that they have no more ailments, they have more energy, they feel amazing. They gave up dairy and their acne went away, blah blah etc! One woman attributes dairy to being the only cause of her female hormonal problems (pcos, etc.), as she had been a vegetarian for most of her life.

Anyway, my point is, do you think these people benefit because they are cutting out low-quality meats/dairy/eggs and most processed food to become a vegan?(in the ''real'' sense of the vegan word--minimally processed foods) For example, this woman with the hormonal problems--do you think she would have had the same results if she had simply tried switching to raw, organic dairy? (Or, perhaps, it could be possible she just cannot tolerate dairy.)

When I made the switch from junk fooder to vegan, I felt amazing. But, also, when I made the switch from vegan to primal, I felt amazing! It struck me as interesting to think about.

Thoughts?

Read this: Vegans Are Cannibals: The Truth Behind The “New Vegan High” - GNOLLS.ORG
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

The article sbhikes linked is pretty much spot on imo. When I was vegan I felt better for a while and in some respects, but I my health ended up crashing bad enough that I went to SAD out of sheer lack of energy.
      Incidentally my de facto version of vegan was heading pretty much towards paleo. I ate an awful lot of stir fries and currys served on rice and rice noodles. Bread in the UK is appalling compared to Germany, and pasta was an occasional thing, as my favourite sauces were meat based.
      But ultimately removing the bad stuff isn't enough. There needs to be some fuel. And vegan diets don't have a lot of that.

Comment

Thank you, I have read that article--it was definitely eye-opening as an ex-raw vegan. My point also, was, given the example of the woman with hormonal problems that were "cured" by giving up dairy, would she have had the same results with raw dairy?

Comment

Placebo effect can be a very powerful thing...
          http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Even though the vegan diet world is plagued with processed foods, people that switch over to a vegetarian diet (or vegan) usually start eating more whole foods (fruits/vegetables) and eliminate a majority of the processed shit they used to eat. They feel better as a result.

Whole foods, regardless of whether you abstain from animal products, will usually make you feel better.
            "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post

Whole foods, regardless of whether you abstain from animal products, will usually make you feel better.
              Exactly, and that's exactly what happens with a lot of folks here, they switch to whole foods, eliminate junk and they feel better. Attributing this to any kind of diet is just absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
                Placebo effect can be a very powerful thing...
                Yes, lots of examples here

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                  Exactly, and that's exactly what happens with a lot of folks here, they switch to whole foods, eliminate junk and they feel better. Attributing this to any kind of diet is just absurd.
                  Except that for some of us the miracle has been what saturated animal fat and animal protein has done that our former diets which included plenty of lean meats and vegetables couldn't do before. In my case the list includes:
                  - appetite control
                  - elimination of depression
                  - elimination of inflammation
                  - elimination of chronic aches and pains in my feet and legs
                  - increased muscle mass

Prior healthy diets of whole foods lacking in saturated fat and meat didn't give me these things. I usually ended up hungry and depressed (I had an actual suicide plan) at the very least.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Fruit > Refined sugar

"Raw vegan" may not be optimal, but if done right I'll go as far as saying it's better than the standard American diet.

Comment

Like most diets they get rid of most of the junk. People say the same things about keto atkins, is it really an amazing diet? or is it just a hell of a lot better than whatever they were doing beforehand. With both vegan and keto dieters, you see a lot of people running into troubles longer term and failing to switch gears as they slowly stop thriving.

Comment

I've never been vegan or vegetarian, but I do think anything that makes you more conscious of what you're eating is going to help, if only a little. Even switching from Big Macs to McDoubles is probably going to help a tiny bit. If you ditch McDonalds completely, it will have even more of an effect.

I also think there's a bit of peer pressure to lay low when it stops working, like when you run out of stored fuel. You're not going to hear about the eventual lethargy or brain fog. No one is going to post about that because it's admitting failure. It doesn't matter that it's a failure of the nutrition (or lack thereof) that you're taking in. It still feels like failure, and no one wants to go on and on about that.

Throw in a little "This needs to work because it's the right thing to do" and it's all success stories.
                        Durp.

Comment

It is quite possible that the lady who supposedly fixed her hormone issues was just intolerant to dairy. I certainly felt better when I cut out dairy and went from veg to vegan, and now consider myself to be slightly intolerant to dairy. But then I felt worse again and needed to "advance" to raw vegan to feel that high again. But as that 'Vegans are Cannibals' article articulated it often doesn't last and one quickly goes downhill. At first I was all over everyone trying to help people see the light and increase the raw fruit and veg in their diet and exercise more and such! Then my teeth started decaying, I got B12 deficiencies despite supplementing, sodium deficiencies, extremely underweight (I was diagnosed suspected eating disorder despite eating tonnes, because I was too skinny) and diagnosed depression - I burnt out and got really sick (4 months in hospital anyone?). The hardcore raw vegans will say I didn't drink enough water or the right water or I didn't eat enough fruit or the right fruit etc etc, but really even if you will succeed being 100% perfect as a raw vegan it's just not sustainable for the majority of people who try.

I could have been used as a success story in my early days of raw vegan when I reached my ideal weight, exercised daily and before my teeth went yellow! But in the raw and vegan worlds I have seen several people who have been used as success stories, but have then come out saying they now eat meat because they didn't feel their best after a while.
                          Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Comment

I have been warning my College bound daughter about the perils of veganism on campus. Let's face it, if you are 18-22 years old you can almost anything to your body and still feel pretty good. So, if you ate nothing but slurpees in high school and switched to the all rice diet in college, you might feel just great, because almost nothing feels as great as being 18-22 years old.

Comment

As I am always wary of the fact that "Just because you're in a room full of people that agree with you, doesn't mean you are right" So I had a bit of a look around and drawing on some of my recent readings. The first thing that came to mind was the various alternative Cancer therapies, a lot of them are based on the vegitarian/raw food protocol, I know there is a big ? around them, but obviously some individuals have had some success with this direction, conversly there are studies which indicate a Ketogenic diet can be of assistance with some cancers. Then there is the longevity thing, the most often quoted are the Hunza, Vilacombe & Aberkhanasa (not sure of spelling), when you look into these often there is a question about verifiable records & they are mostly vegitarian, but sometimes do eat meat in small quantities. The current official highest life expectancy belongs to a small landlocked european country Andorra, mediterranian diet, high elevation & average 300 days of sunlight per year, stress free culture. So I thought what about the Shaolin monks, they're vegeterian & healthy, strong, fast etc., well found out only the temple monks are strict vegetarians, but the Warrior monks do eat meat, in smaller quantities and these are the guys we are most familiar with. Even looked at the oldest recorded person to have lived, Jeanne Louise Calment, she died at 122 & 7 months, nothing special in diet or excercised, smoked daily, but only a couple per day, didn't really exercise or avoid it, was walking till age 117.
                              So I am coming to the conclusion that one can likely find success equally from 90:10 Animal:Vegetable diet or 10:90, but the full Vegan approach is really out on the far edge of nutrition, some people can do well possibly, but there are many stories of people that suffer serious malnutrition. Landed on a Veg/Vegan forum the other day, was amazing how many there were actively discussing heart disease, high cholesterol etc., some defending the diet, just need better supplementation, others looked like they were getting ready to jump ship.

I think one has to remember all the other factors contributing to wellness, some of the oldest people on the planet are not Paleo & probably don't even know what it means, it is more likely that they had the benefit of other lifestyle factors, so it makes me question all the fuss some individuals go to with their Paleo approach, how much is this actually detracting from their progress, state of mind, stress, lifestyle, relationships etc. etc., how much is Paleo driving your life?
                              I do wonder if generally Paleo, relaxed, slightly "cuddly", mixed moderate exercise is not the best kind of direction for an overall personal best in the life stakes.
                              My general direction currently is Paleo with a dash of Raw foodies and traditional diet (Weston A Price) overtones, but this is still an evolving process for me.
                              On the original question of Vegans, I have done enough research to satisfy myself that this direction is flawed, unless one is fully informed and takes the appropriate supplements with regular checkups, even then there is a risk of malnutrition in my opinion.
                              Last edited by Omni; 06-16-2012, 02:01 AM.
                              "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Working...
                              X