Dude, I stink.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude, I stink.

This is a bit embarassing and at the same time quite sad as this is my first post, but dudes, I STINK.

I mean, like, melting deodorant and armpit chewing through tshirts stink.

I've been 100% primal for over a year now, and I'm currently cutting the last 8-12% bodyfat leading into a show in two months, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this. I haven't had any issues in the last year, but the last few weeks my wife's threatened to kick me out of the house.

Daily intake is basically:
    8 eggs
    2-3lbs of chicken breast/thighs
    1-2lbs lean red meat
    3-5 cups of broccolli
    5 or so cups of spinach and leafy greens
    6 servings EAS 100% Whey (I know, I know, 2 grams of sugar a scoop...)
    Tons of misc other things found in the kitchen (avacados, peppers, etc)
    I don't eat any dairy

Is there something I can add that'll help the smell? I cut back on onions and garlic thinking maybe they contributed a little.

Please don't tell me to make my own deodorant, I don't have time for that hippie-dippie nonsense.
    Last edited by NicMcCool; 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Do you have an infection of any sort?

Comment

No, not that I know of at least. Feel awesome actually.

I even rotated through a few deodorants and anti-perspirants, and none seemed to work. It's like I'm an odor-producing superhero.

Comment

Here is some non hippie stuff... Are you bathing regularly? Using soap?
        I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
        My Journal

Comment

Dude. You eat that much meat+eggs+whey DAILY!?! I think that is probably why you stink. Your body produces ammonia when you metabolize protein. In normal amounts, this is OK. But if you overdo it, you will stink. I would think 2 pounds of meat a day would be PLENTY for any diet. Without needing to add MORE from whey.

Maybe try cutting back on the protein somewhat and eat more fat and/or carbs. A classic complaint of people eating Atkins-style is the ammonia stench.

Off-topic: and you're CUTTING?!! How huge are you!?

Comment

i do believe that's ammonia from excess protein.

Comment

When did this problem start? When you went primal a year ago, or just in the past few weeks?

I actually had the opposite experience - when I started eating paleo, my normal moderate BO pretty much disappeared, and I almost never wear deodorant now. I actually find that wearing deodorant MAKES me smelly, so I don't wear it anymore.

What I do now, if I'm real sweaty under my armpits and a little stinky, I wash my pits with a damp washcloth and wipe them with some rubbing alcohol on cotton balls - the alcohol kills off the bacteria that produces stinks, and I find it to be quite effective. Hope that's not too hippy for you!

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                Here is some non hippie stuff... Are you bathing regularly? Using soap?
                Hahahahaa! Yes and yes. About 2-3 times a day depending on training schedule.

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                Dude. You eat that much meat+eggs+whey DAILY!?! I think that is probably why you stink. Your body produces ammonia when you metabolize protein. In normal amounts, this is OK. But if you overdo it, you will stink. I would think 2 pounds of meat a day would be PLENTY for any diet. Without needing to add MORE from whey.

Maybe try cutting back on the protein somewhat and eat more fat and/or carbs. A classic complaint of people eating Atkins-style is the ammonia stench.

Off-topic: and you're CUTTING?!! How huge are you!?
                I donnu, I'm a big dude I guess. 260. I should be around 245 at the end of my cut. It sounds bad, but I've always eaten this much. Workouts are pretty demanding (I also train for strongman), so I cruise through the calories pretty easily.

I've cut before, albeit with tons of processed carbs, and never had this kind of problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                  i do believe that's ammonia from excess protein.
                  If that's the case I better stock up on some cologne. I don't see myself cutting protein anytime soon - mainly because that's where I derive the majority of my cals.

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                  When did this problem start? When you went primal a year ago, or just in the past few weeks?

I actually had the opposite experience - when I started eating paleo, my normal moderate BO pretty much disappeared, and I almost never wear deodorant now. I actually find that wearing deodorant MAKES me smelly, so I don't wear it anymore.

What I do now, if I'm real sweaty under my armpits and a little stinky, I wash my pits with a damp washcloth and wipe them with some rubbing alcohol on cotton balls - the alcohol kills off the bacteria that produces stinks, and I find it to be quite effective. Hope that's not too hippy for you!
                  I'll try that, but I ain't wearin' any of them tie-dye tshirts!

Comment

Ingest a tablespoon or two a day of coconut oil, that usually helps me, and apply some on your armpits. Also, my wife likes it when I apply a bit of Pinaud Clubman after shaving on face and pits.
                    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Bioletti View Post
                      Ingest a tablespoon or two a day of coconut oil, that usually helps me, and apply some on your armpits. Also, my wife likes it when I apply a bit of Pinaud Clubman after shaving on face and pits.
                      This is I'll definitely try.

Wait... are you saying if I throw on some Pinaud Clubman man-scent your wife will like me too?

Comment

OK, I guess that makes it slightly less insane since you're huge and training hard. But still, I don't think it's optimal to eat quite that much protein daily. I'd take out the whey and maybe a pound of the chicken and replace it with potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                          OK, I guess that makes it slightly less insane since you're huge and training hard. But still, I don't think it's optimal to eat quite that much protein daily. I'd take out the whey and maybe a pound of the chicken and replace it with potatoes.
                          I should have probably mentioned (before it became blaringly apparent) that I’m not a genius when it comes to nutrition (I still have trouble remembering what is or isn’t a legume), I’ve got a dude for that. My strengths fall in the lifting of heavy things department and he manages what I eat. He’s done a pretty good job for the last ten years, so I keep him around…

So forgive me if this sounds completely asinine.

Could it be that because I’m eating a minimal amount of processed carbs my body is digesting the protein – specifically the whey – differently? The reason I say this is because last time I cut weight I was on a very similar diet, but instead of sweet potatoes (forgot to mention I eat a metric shit ton of them a day for training energy) I was downing cups and cups of oats and rice.

If that’s the case I’ll have to treat the smell instead of the cause, which totally sucks. I had a girl I was training today wear her shirt over her face so she could breathe.

Comment

I'm not sure if this will help if the cause is excess protein consumption, but chlorophyll supplements are sold and deodorizing body odors is one of the reasons people take them. Someone on here mentioned a product called body mint, but I'm sure any store will carry them. You might want to research those and do an n=1 experiment with a bottle. Also, charcoal is meant to be a pretty powerful absorber, but you cannot take those capsules close to other supplements or medicines, so you might not want to mess with them.

I've used chlorophyll tablets before and I *think* they worked OK. They might be worth a try and are pretty harmless (some say they're good for you).
                            SW: 243
                            CW: 177
                            Goal: Health

Comment

Originally posted by NicMcCool View Post
                              I've been 100% primal for over a year now
                              Funny how quickly you went from 100% primal to

Originally posted by NicMcCool

6 servings EAS 100% Whey (I know, I know, 2 grams of sugar a scoop...)
                              And

Originally posted by NicMcCool
                              I don't see myself cutting protein anytime soon - mainly because that's where I derive the majority of my cals
                              I am not sure how you define 100% Primal. There's nothing particularly primal about excessive hypertrophy though, so you might have to deviate in these ways (although even for your goals, that protein intake seems potentially excessive). Just saying, let's call a spade a spade.

What do you smell like? Might help if we had more information. Do you smell like cat piss? Then I vote for the ammonia.
                              Last edited by RichMahogany; 06-14-2012, 01:33 PM.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X