Craving salty foods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craving salty foods

I know I've read somewhere on here that if you crave salt then eat salt. What I'm having an issue with is this, I'm not sure if it's my stress levels, lack of sleep, training, or what is the underlying cause of the craving. I've always craved salt, even as a kid. My mom loves to make fun of me for pouring salt into my hand and eating it any chance I could get. I'm still that way. I could eat TONS of salt. I have very, very low blood pressure so my doctor tells me to eat as much salt as I want. That's beside the point.

Right now my life is crazy stressful, my husband is on deployment and I'm home with a two toddlers; with not much help or any break at all. Right now I do some heavy lifting with a trainer 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes. I don't do a lot of walking because I'm just too tired. I get maybe 6 hours of sleep at night due to the baby waking up or me waking up and not being able to fall back to sleep. I also try to fast from dinner to lunch every day. With all of that said, I know stress and sleep can cause salt cravings. If I'm eating tons of salt already, what could be the problem? Adrenals? And how would I go about fixing this? I find myself eating salty snacks even if I'm not hungry. I always go for something like popcorn, I know; veggies in a lot of butter and salt, or cheese. In fact, I just ate a huge meal and am still trying to shake a salty food craving.

I also love salt and have low blood pressure. If I get a salt craving, I go for pickles, olives, especially kalamata olives, kimchi, or an avocado with hot sauce.

Comment

Just eat good salt!

from Seasalt's Hidden Powers

Vital Functions of Salt in the Body

1. Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, Contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water. Naturally the proportions are critical.

2. Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells.

3. Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood; a needed element in diabetics.

4. Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy need by the cells.

5. Salt is vital to the nerve cells' communication and information processing all the time that the brain cells work, from the moment of conception to death.

6. Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.

7. Salt is vital for the clearance of the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis.

8. Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and congestion of the sinuses.

9. Salt is a strong natural antihistamine.

10. Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps.

11. Salt is vital to prevent excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep. Needing to constantly mop up excess saliva indicates salt shortage.

12. Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm. Osteoporosis, in a major way, is a result of salt and water shortage in the body.

13. Salt is vital for sleep regulation. It is a natural hypnotic.

14. Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics.

15. Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs.

16. Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.

17. Salt is vital for maintaining sexuality and libido.

18. Salt is vital for preventing varicose veins and spider veins on the legs and thighs.

19. Salt is vital to the communication and information processing nerve cells the entire time that the brain cells work - from the moment of conception to death.

20. Salt is vital for reducing a double chin. When the body is short of salt, it means the body really is short of water. The salivary glands sense the salt shortage and are obliged to produce more saliva to lubricate the act of chewing and swallowing and also to supply the stomach with water that it needs for breaking down foods. Circulation to the salivary glands increases and the blood vessels become "leaky" in order to supply the glands with water to manufacture saliva. The "leakiness" spills beyond the area of the glands themselves, causing increased bulk under the skin of the chin, the cheeks and into the neck.

21. Sea salt contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Some of these elements are needed in trace amounts. Unrefined sea salt is a better choice of salt than other types of salt on the market. Ordinary table salt that is bought in the super markets has been stripped of its companion elements and contains additive elements such as aluminum silicate to keep it powdery and porous. Aluminum is a very toxic element in our nervous system. It is implicated as one of the primary causes of Alzheimer's disease.

22. Twenty-seven percent of the body's salt is in the bones. Osteoporosis results when the body needs more salt and takes it from the body. Bones are twenty-two percent water. Is it not obvious what happens to the bones when we're deficient in salt or water or both.

Comment

i also say eat salt, and toss out the recommendation of himalayan pink salt

i can dump a mountain of that stuff on food and it doesn't shoot my blood pressure thru the roof
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

I never used to addsalt to my feed pre-primal (although I used stocks and things which I guess had hidden stocks). But yeah, I now sprinkle salt on everything but bacon and whipped cream.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

*sigh*
            I hate to be the party pooper in the 'salt love' thread, BUT adding additional salt over and beyond what is found naturally in whole unprocessed foods... is completely unnecessary.

I eat no additional sodium at all in my diet, except what is in foods naturally and a small bit that I add to dressings I whip up for salads (like a pinch to cover several days worth for two people), for medical reasons and it is a completely safe and healthy thing.
            Humans have not always had access to bins of salt to toss onto every food that they pop into their mouths. For most of history/pre-history we did fine consuming little to NO additive salt in our diets.
            There are still cultures where the peoples eat almost no additive salt.
            As a matter of fact... looking at it from a Paleolithic perspective, most did not add any significant amount of salt to their food daily.
            The minimum physiological requirement of sodium (sodium from all sources, not just salt) simply to sustain life has been estimated to be 500 mg of sodium per day.
            Really a ridiculously easy amount to get...
            Paleolithic humans consumed an estimated 750mg sodium daily... from foods.
            A mere quarter tsp of salt has 600mg of sodium.
            And that would be in addition to any foods that you've eaten. Meat, fish, milk and fermented milk products, eggs, and some vegetables are pretty significant sources of sodium.
            Food Data Chart - Sodium

If you step away from the salt for a while you may find out just how maladjusted your taste buds have become if you tend to like very salty foods. There are foods that I used to enjoy, olives for instance, that now burn my mouth if I try to eat one as a treat... as if I'm chewing on a lump of solid salt. Even my husband, who eats slightly more salt than I do by sprinkling it on lightly and eating lunches out while with coworkers, has found that many foods prepared out in restaurants are no longer palatable because they are so salty he cannot taste anything else.

Yes, humans LOVE salt... almost as much as they love sugar.
            That doesn't necessarily mean that more is better though.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be as strict as I am. Obviously I have some very specific reasons to control my sodium intake. But it's something to consider.

Also, maybe consider that you may be out of balance. Traditionally people consumed very little salt but lots of potassium. If you are eating additive salty but not adding a potassium supplement to balance things out, you may be getting signals that seem like "eat salt" that are really cries for a better ratio.
            Last edited by cori93437; 06-14-2012, 02:26 AM.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              *sigh*
              I hate to be the party pooper in the 'salt love' thread, BUT adding additional salt over and beyond what is found naturally in whole unprocessed foods... is completely unnecessary.

I eat no additional sodium at all in my diet, except what is in foods naturally and a small bit that I add to dressings I whip up for salads (like a pinch to cover several days worth for two people), for medical reasons and it is a completely safe and healthy thing.
              Humans have not always had access to bins of salt to toss onto every food that they pop into their mouths. For most of history/pre-history we did fine consuming little to NO additive salt in our diets.
              There are still cultures where the peoples eat almost no additive salt.
              As a matter of fact... looking at it from a Paleolithic perspective, most did not add any significant amount of salt to their food daily.
              The minimum physiological requirement of sodium (sodium from all sources, not just salt) simply to sustain life has been estimated to be 500 mg of sodium per day.
              Really a ridiculously easy amount to get...
              Paleolithic humans consumed an estimated 750mg sodium daily... from foods.
              A mere quarter tsp of salt has 600mg of sodium.
              And that would be in addition to any foods that you've eaten. Meat, fish, milk and fermented milk products, eggs, and some vegetables are pretty significant sources of sodium.
              Food Data Chart - Sodium

If you step away from the salt for a while you may find out just how maladjusted your taste buds have become if you tend to like very salty foods. There are foods that I used to enjoy, olives for instance, that now burn my mouth if I try to eat one as a treat... as if I'm chewing on a lump of solid salt. Even my husband, who eats slightly more salt than I do by sprinkling it on lightly and eating lunches out while with coworkers, has found that many foods prepared out in restaurants are no longer palatable because they are so salty he cannot taste anything else.

Yes, humans LOVE salt... almost as much as they love sugar.
              That doesn't necessarily mean that more is better though.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be as strict as I am. Obviously I have some very specific reasons to control my sodium intake. But it's something to consider.

Also, maybe consider that you may be out of balance. Traditionally people consumed very little salt but lots of potassium. If you are eating additive salty but not adding a potassium supplement to balance things out, you may be getting signals that seem like "eat salt" that are really cries for a better ratio.
              Really?? CW thinking in it's best form. How do you know how much salt paleo man ate? He probably drank the blood of the animals he killed, same salinity as sea water. If possible, he probably ate sea weed too. There is plenty of evidence that early man sought out salt deposits and not only used salt themselves, but also for trade. If not for sea salt supplementation, I would be trapped indoors during our 'dry heat' summers~ seems I am prone to excess perspiration/rapid dehydration and electrolyte depletion. First symptom? I crave salt.

ETA~ I'm talking about unprocessed sea salt, not that sodium chloride crap commonly refered to as 'salt'. Unbalanced for human needs, sodium chloride is not healthy or natural.
              Last edited by Nady; 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Salt is a stress reliever, it's good for you.

Comment

I tend not to consume enough salt and must force it upon myself. I always feel better for doing so.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

eat salt. like nady said. himalayan pink, hawaiian black, celtic, etc.. REAL salt.

Comment

salt was so valued it was used as currency. roman soldiers were partly paid in salt, which is the etymology of our word "salary."

in addition to using different kinds of salt, i always use salted butter. i eat home-made bone broth several times per week, to which i add salt. the various minerals in there have done wonders for my health.

if you're consuming plenty of sodium, but still really craving it, something else might be out of whack. agree about upping the potassium, like by eating plenty of avocado. beets, brussels sprouts and yogurt too.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                        Really?? CW thinking in it's best form. How do you know how much salt paleo man ate? He probably drank the blood of the animals he killed, same salinity as sea water. If possible, he probably ate sea weed too. There is plenty of evidence that early man sought out salt deposits and not only used salt themselves, but also for trade. If not for sea salt supplementation, I would be trapped indoors during our 'dry heat' summers~ seems I am prone to excess perspiration/rapid dehydration and electrolyte depletion. First symptom? I crave salt.

ETA~ I'm talking about unprocessed sea salt, not that sodium chloride crap commonly refered to as 'salt'. Unbalanced for human needs, sodium chloride is not healthy or natural.
                        Like I said... sodium from natural food consumption. Even consuming blood, one is not simply consuming the sodium content but sodium in concert with many other minerals in balance. Plus, no one was drinking down huge amounts of blood daily. Sure they likely consumed blood, shared among many people from a single animal. Small quantities of blood per individual.
                        The reference you linked is to neolithic culture.
                        Many paleolithic cultures did not have access to seaweed or ocean waters.
                        There are indigenous cultures today that still do not add any appreciable amount of salt/sodium to their foods.

You may think it's great. But it simply isn't necessary beyond a very small amount. And that has nothing to do with "CW thinking".
                        The estimated sodium intake (of about 750mg/day) has been determined through archaeology and other scientific study just like other aspects of diet (Chriss Kresser and Loren Cordain have written about this, among others). Early salt was prized so highly, not everyone had access to it. Salt trade was not known to be widespread until the bronze age... 3600 bce or less. I'd even be willing to give 5000 bce as some beginning trade in salt... but much less. It would not have been LIBERALLY applied to daily foods under almost any circumstances. Even in 600 bce (not that long ago) salt was known to have traded as an equivalent value to gold. Not something most people could afford to toss around.

As far as desert climate heat. One of the first things a survivalist will tell you is do not consume salts. Your body is likely depleting because you already have an excess. Salt causes the body to dehydrate more rapidly. A higher salt intake creates a more profound reaction to sweating via electrolyte release, if you put more in you flush more out and create an imbalance faster. Taking salt actually masks the problem temporarily by decreasing thirst, but causing greater excretion of water. Craving salt does not necessarily mean eat salt. If you feel your electrolytes are out of balance potassium is generally a better route... modern humans consume more sodium than potassium, exactly the opposite of paleolithic humans who consumed low salt and very high potassium.
                        The few studies that have shown that lower salt consumption may not be beneficial have not really balanced the picture for the whole diet. And have certainly not balanced for lower salt plus increased potassium as is more natural from the standpoint of human evolution.

Soaking in a bath of dead sea salts in probably a better way to get a good salts balance than eating salt as it contains a better ratio of magnesium, potassium, sodium, and calcium... and other minerals.

Also, while I agree that natural salts are better than refined, it is only by virtue of certain trace mineral and elements that are dependent on the water source. By weight... sea salt and mined salts have the exact same amount of sodium. The amount of minerals and trace elements is very low (less than 2% by weight). I honestly preferred sea salts just for taste (when I was able to eat salt).
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Whatever~ I've done my research and I have personal experiences with the power of whole salt. If you are ever unfortunate enough to be fine one second and the next, crumpling to the ground with heat exhaustion, maybe you'll go and learn a few facts too. In the mean time, I wish you well.

ETA~
                          from Seasalt's Hidden Powers

Vital Functions of Salt in the Body

12. Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm. Osteoporosis, in a major way, is a result of salt and water shortage in the body.

22. Twenty-seven percent of the body's salt is in the bones. Osteoporosis results when the body needs more salt and takes it from the body. Bones are twenty-two percent water. Is it not obvious what happens to the bones when we're deficient in salt or water or both.
                          Keep this in mind~ FDA Warning: Fosamax, Actonel, Boniva, Reclast Bisphosphonates Fracture Side Effect | Phillips Law Firm

Drug for Bone Disease Linked to Jaw Death - WebMD

After years of hearing 'no salt' you really think this is a coincidence?
                          Last edited by Nady; 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Personally, I never ADD salt to anything I make.

But I still probably get plenty of sodium in my diet as I destroy large amounts of Sauerkraut that I get at the Farmer's Market almost weekly, which is VERY salty, and I eat a fair amount of raw cheese which can also be pretty salty depending on the variety.

In addition, I make sure to drink the drippings from any meat that I consume, which is high in both potassium AND sodium (both of which help give blood its salty flavor).

So, all told, you can get plenty from what's already in foods. But if you're not a fan of things like fermented foods, dairy in the form of cheese, and drinking the meat drippings, you might want to keep some good sea salt on hand to spike broths and/or other sauces and foods with. Just a little though!
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Look at it this way~ it's about balance. Get all the salt you need from foods? How much water do you drink? The recommended 8 glasses, or more? Do you think Grok drank that much? Drink Less Water? | Mark's Daily Apple Drink more water, you need more salt. Drink less, then you might get by from food alone, if you don't exercise/sweat, urinate, poop, cry, bleed or in any other way lose bodily fluids~

Comment

Working...
                              X