Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should the bulk of your calories come from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should the bulk of your calories come from?

Is it beef/lamb/fish? I know there is no "perfect diet" but I think we all agree that nuts or so shouldn't be the majority of your diet.
    For me, my bulk of calories comes from beef lamb and seafood, followed by dairy. I'm a little concerned on the dairy since there is quite some controversy around it. With all the (natural) hormones in it etc.
    well then

You know as well as I do that people are all over the map on this. I like animal fat and coconut fat for the majority of calories, but root starches are apparently safe, too. Go by your ancestry. What kinds of food did the majority of your ancestors eat, for the majority of the time? Start there. Then try things to see what your body likes and doesn't like. If I eat too much dairy, for example, I get huge boils on my face, fart like a factory, and can't poop for two weeks. So I only eat it once in awhile.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

High fat meat and sea food for sure, with a good chunk of that being from nutrient-rich offal. And secondarily a small amount of nuts. Take into consideration how hard it is to crack the shells of most nuts. Grok couldn't buy a bag full of pre-shelled almonds. And some fruit here and there throughout your day is fine. I like to think that your carb intake should reflect your body, metabolism, and weight goals.

For me at least, dairy causes bloating and acne so I avoid it. I assume unpasteurized natural milk would be better, but I haven't acquired any yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        You know as well as I do that people are all over the map on this. I like animal fat and coconut fat for the majority of calories, but root starches are apparently safe, too. Go by your ancestry. What kinds of food did the majority of your ancestors eat, for the majority of the time? Start there. Then try things to see what your body likes and doesn't like. If I eat too much dairy, for example, I get huge boils on my face, fart like a factory, and can't poop for two weeks. So I only eat it once in awhile.
        What do you mean by ancestors? Just my grandparents? They mainly ate bread. I feel perfect on bread. But I'm not going to eat it. I also feel great on subway and mcdonalds. A lot of people here know what they should and shouldn't eat by how their body reacts to it. But my body doesn't react to anything
        well then

Comment

Nobody in the past thousand years. I mean you nationalities, your ancient heritage. Are you Northern European?
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Meat or plant starch. Most tribal societies these days seem to tend towards the starch, probably just on account of availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Nobody in the past thousand years. I mean you nationalities, your ancient heritage. Are you Northern European?
              Yup
              well then

Comment

hmmm I hardly look at where my calories come from. Probably more like never. I do track, faithfully daily, and I look at overall calories but I mostly look at the macro grams in each category to see if I am anywhere in the ballpark of where I want to be. And then sometimes at the end of the day, (and sometimes after I post a meal) I will look at my percentage pie chart just to see where I ended up.

I do want to get more in tune though, to see if one thing has more adverse affects than another. I had some things this week that I havent for a long time, and I felt okay and still had some weight loss. So while I can't have it often, I can have it as a 20% now and then.
                65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I believe that it is suggested that the most calories come from meat, seafood, animals and the most volume comes from vegetables.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Right now, the majority of my calories come from starches, sugars, and fats: potatoes, sweet potatoes, sprouted brown rice, fruit, and coconut milk. I do get some eggs and meat in from time to time, but a higher-carbohydrate diet is working pretty well for me at the moment.

Nuts are okay in large caloric volumes, but they should be sprouted. Otherwise, you're going to have nutrient absorption issues and probably lots of digestive upsets.

Dairy should not compose a significant portion of your calories unless you're on a serious bulking program. Even then, it should only be raw and grass-fed.
                    Last edited by tarek; 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

the bulk of my calories comes from FAT - 60- 70% of my daily calories. mostly i eat eggs, meat (including liver and tongue), salmon, chicken, tukey, and the occassional duck. I round it out with different veggies, but they dont contribute many calories. i only have cream and butter for dairy, as it congests me. coconut oil, duck fat and olive oil are my most used fats.

Comment

Well, apart from eggs, and tonnes of dark leafy veg, cos' I'm veggie nuts do form the backbone of my diet...

After starting on this forum I briefly tried to give them up (cos' there is so much warning-off them), but I have to say - I missed them too much. I feel amazing after I eat them: they satiate me, they give me a fast, yet steady release of energy and they are damn tasty I don't have any problems after I eat them, and they don't make me put on weight (Brazil nuts or macademia nuts don't anyway - maybe cos they are low in carbs)... actually, when I gave them up things started to go south.

I also eat loads of mushrooms, avocados.... and dairy - 250g of greek yogurt every day! Plus mozarrella cheese.

I've come to the conclusion that if it's working for me, I'm going to keep going with it. Everyone is unique.
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I'm a high fat guy. I think there are a lot of good reasons health wise to follow this strategy. But my fat is in the 60-70%range pretty easily. Love me some eggs, cook with lots of good fat, and eat fatty meat, and I have added raw dairy now to the mix.

Comment

Working...
                          X