Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell is it with Coconut oil and effing Diarrhea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a darn good thing I found this thread because I was about to give up coffee to see if I could stop a 2-week whoosh stint. With this info I'll try cutting back the CO first.
    On a related note, does anyone know if drinking the canned, high fat, coconut milk would have the same effect? Is it similar to the oil, or a different substance altogether?

Comment

I have a theory on this. I had a severe small intestinal bacterial overgrowth years ago. SIBO's damage the intestines and make it harder to absorb fats, particularly MCT's. Coconut oil tends to do this to me when my guts are out of balance, but if I've been doing well--eating Primal, taking/eating probiotics, avoiding excess carbs and sugar, etc. it doesn't bother me that much unless I really pig out on it. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon recently and I'm fighting a SIBO flare thanks to it. I don't want to test it but I bet I'd be running to the bathroom if I ate CO.

Comment

Signed up to post just to help you out with this!

There are two probable causes here unless you just have a problem period with coconut oil.

When I started primal a long time ago, I was 'swooshing about twice a day getting all that grain out of me. then it slowed down. The I started reading and decided to increase the fat in my diet. Hello, coconut oil and butter, hello more swoosh.

The more likely culprit is your gut flora. If you ate a conventional diet prior to primal and went really heavy on the grains, sugars, or even antibiotics, this is likely. As someone who dearly respected grains as the bottom of the food pyramid,
        I'm almost through solving my gut flora problems 7 months into primal - I really overdid the grains.... and the antibiotics I used to take daily.

Basically, coconut oil is what's called an antimicrobial, in that it kills bad bacteria in the gut and causes what is called 'die off'. From what I have heard, when you kill these nasty little buggers they release compounds not so helpful to your body. This results in some tummy russlin' and a good case of sloshy sloosh. I encountered this when first taking antimicrobials, and the problem has since subsided. best of lucky and if you have any questions I'm still here.

Comment

When I put CO in my coffee, it just sits as pools of oil on top of the coffee.
          Is there a way to emulsify the mixture?

TIA!

Comment

I've been using CO for years, long before I became Primal... it was a cornerstone of my vegan lifestyle!

If it bothers you, use something else for awhile. Be sure you are getting enough fermented foods... too much whooshing can upset the flora balance, which can domino into worse problems.

I love grass-fed butter and MCT oil in my coffee.. a few seconds in the blender and it's lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
              When I put CO in my coffee, it just sits as pools of oil on top of the coffee.
              Is there a way to emulsify the mixture?

TIA!
              One of these: frother
              Sandra
              *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Oh, a frother, that looks handy! Thanks Sandra!

Comment

Those frothers do amazing things to coffee and coconut oil. I put a huge tbsp of coconut oil in about 12 oz coffee, froth it 5-7 seconds, add a sprinkle of cinnamon, and drop it down the hatch. Slowly of course, because it is after all, sill a hot cup of coffee.

Comment

I'm glad I found this site, the same thing is happening to me. I use coconut milk in my coffee, it doesn't have the same effect, the oil on the other hand works better than any laxative I've ever tried.

Comment

Working...
                    X